Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

T v/& alarm cable.

Options
  • 23-08-2013 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭

I need some advice on this please:
    I'm doing some work on an old bungalow which I have now stripped back to bare walls in preparation for plasterboard. I have chased walls and have electric cables (in conduit) in place.
    Q: can I run coax cable down the same channel alongside the conduit & should the coax be in its own conduit.

Also:

I want to have wires in place for alarm sensors .
    Where in the room should the sensor be placed. The rooms are almost square with one window in each. Do I just drop one cable per sensor and bring the ends back to one spot where the panel will go.
    Any help or advice on above appreciated.
    Ps. I am just tying to do the donkey work myself....connections will be done by people who know what they are doing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

co-ax goes in separate conduit

you might be ok with co-ax as it's screened
    but normally you leave a gap between the conduit drops as well

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Yep,you leave a small gap betwen couduit drops.

Try to use at least 6 core alarm cable too.

Give you greater flexibility.

Number/mark each end of all the alarm and co ax cables...so that they dont get mixed up when it comes to actual instalation/termination time.

Oh and leave around 1 meter of slack at window end and alarm panel end...so the alarm engineer has some cable/slack to work with when wiring up both ends.

"Better to be looking at it than looking for it"

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭cosmowillie53

Thanks for replies folks.

Does "conduit drops" mean in a channel separate from electric cable.

Sensors: where is the best place to locate them. I thought maybe they should go on the same wall as the window thereby only picking up movement within the room.

Thanks

Sensors: where is the best place to locate them. I thought maybe they should go on the same wall as the window thereby only picking up movement within the room.

Thanks

you leave a space between conduits

about 50mm on drops ime

it may not make a difference on co-ax but that's my experience

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Thanks

Just remember that if you're going with motion beams only that means the burglar will have to be inside the house before the alarm will trigger. I would cable each window and put a beam in the common area in the house like the hall or landing.

If you are going to install the beams anyway they should be mounted looking away from the window as if its looking at the window directly it can cause false alarms.

Just remember that if you're going with motion beams only that means the burglar will have to be inside the house before the alarm will trigger. I would cable each window and put a beam in the common area in the house like the hall or landing.

If you are going to install the beams anyway they should be mounted looking away from the window as if its looking at the window directly it can cause false alarms.

Dont forget the to mount one above patio doors/back door too.;)

Triggers the alarm if anyone walks/breaks in via the back of the house.

Yep,kinda pointless not wire all external windows/door in the house.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

co-ax goes in separate conduit

you might be ok with co-ax as it's screened
    but normally you leave a gap between the conduit drops as well

I don't see a problem with running an alarm cable and a coaxial cable in the same conduit.

of course not

i mean the mains and co-ax should be separate conduits with a gap

it prob won't cause any issue but it's good practice to gap them

i remember on a large smarthomes job having to redo all the conduits and gap them as the wall chaser had made one wide chase for both drops

they wouldn't pass it with the 2 conduit drops together

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

paddy147 wrote: »
    Dont forget the to mount one above patio doors/back door too.;)

Triggers the alarm if anyone walks/breaks in via the back of the house.

Yep,kinda pointless not wire all external windows/door in the house.

If the perimeter is alarmed properly then there's no need for beams everywhere unless the alarm is central station monitored and the need for a confirmed alarm is required.

• Advertisement
Advertisement