Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beauty Therapy Teaching

Options
  • 23-08-2013 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi All,

I am a beauty therapist qualified in ITEC & CIBTAC, I have recently completed a diploma in lecturing qualified with ITEC & City & Guilds.
    Now I'm wondering how do I get into teaching whether its in a vec or private college, or through fás as I really want to start teaching now.

If anyone is in the same situation or anyone who is teaching, any help as to how to get started would be great!

Thanks. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Further Ed.

Hi All,

I am a beauty therapist qualified in ITEC & CIBTAC, I have recently completed a diploma in lecturing qualified with ITEC & City & Guilds.
    Now I'm wondering how do I get into teaching whether its in a vec or private college, or through fás as I really want to start teaching now.

If anyone is in the same situation or anyone who is teaching, any help as to how to get started would be great!

Thanks. :)

There has been alot of changes in the requirements for Beauty Therapy teachers in the last number of years. You will need to be registered with the Teaching Council to get a job with any centre/college run by the Education and Training Boards (formerly VECs). FAS training centres are also coming under the remit of the ETBs so the same applies to them.

I think the Teaching Council use the Dept of Ed circular letter issued a number of years ago and that required ITEC, CIBTAc and CIDESCO as well as 4 years post qualification experience but check it out with the Teaching Council.

As and from 1 April 2013 you will also need a recognised postgraduate qualification in further education and training to be able to be registered with the Teaching Council to work in the public sector FE area. I don't know if the City and Guilds Diploma is accepted.

Finally be warned there are lay-offs in the public sector (VECs) as the Dept of Education has reduced the pupil;teacher ratio. There are very few jobs available and where there are there are alot of experienced teachers seeking these. In many case the job is only part-time and holidays are not paid eg 6 hours per week in some cases. However there may be some part-time night hobby courses available in your local college/centre.

Private colleges set their own requirements so check with them individually.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 9 LiveForBeauty

Thanks for the reply, so could I go ahead and register with the teaching council now and have that done, or is there much involved with that? Also would I be able to just run my own evening or weekend courses with what I already have or would the above still apply?

Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Further Ed.

You can only register with the Teaching Council if you meet their requirements. My details on what they require may have changed but check with them.

Running your own courses is your own business and once you are not drawing down any public funds ie getting paid by the State via VEC or FAS then it is up to you to decide what you need to be able to teach/

• Registered Users Posts: 5 cahilda

Hi, iv being reading this post and i have a question to add to it, whats the difference between the fetac level 6 (train the trainer) and the city and guilds 7303 course? Which one is better to teach within the beauty therapy industry?

Advertisement