Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Mary I a good college?

• 23-08-2013 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi, I just got accepted to do the Liberal Arts in Mary I and wanted to know if it's a good place to go/good course?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

By good do you mean academically rigorous, well-perceived, world renowned, enjoyable, friendly, or well-equipped?! It's most of those. It depends on what you're looking for in 'good'! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 JDPS

Hi I just wanted to know what college life is like there really? :)

JDPS wrote: »
    Hi I just wanted to know what college life is like there really? :)

Ha ha! The majority of students like college life in Mary I. It's very easy to get to know people, and the lecturers in general are very approachable and accommodating. The physical campus has improved enormously in the last few years, and it continues to do so.

dambarude wrote: »
    Ha ha! The majority of students like college life in Mary I. It's very easy to get to know people, and the lecturers in general are very approachable and accommodating. The physical campus has improved enormously in the last few years, and it continues to do so.
    Whats the social side of things like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Whats the social side of things like?

Like any college, it's what you make of it!

Limerick is a busy place during the college year. You have the likes of LUX, Crush, SinBin and Molly's in the city centre for the first years and then plenty of pubs including Scott's, Fennessy's and Clem's in walking distance of Mary I.

There'll always be house parties too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

dambarude wrote: »
    By good do you mean academically rigorous, well-perceived, world renowned, enjoyable, friendly, or well-equipped?! It's most of those. It depends on what you're looking for in 'good'! :)

I would agree with all of the above, except for what I have in bold. World renowned, really?:pac:

buyer95 wrote: »
    I would agree with all of the above, except for what I have in bold. World renowned, really?:pac:
    I said:
    By good do you mean academically rigorous, well-perceived, world renowned, enjoyable, friendly, or well-equipped?! It's most of those.
    Note the most! Readers can decide for themselves which of those adjectives they'd choose to use. I wouldn't agree with them all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Mary I is the perfect college tbh. Not too big, not too small...so you'll see everyone...facilities wise it's pretty great too...and Limerick is a great city!

You won't miss out anything by going to Mary I, but you'll gain loads....*cringe cringe cringe* :p

Mary I is the perfect college tbh. Not too big, not too small...so you'll see everyone...facilities wise it's pretty great too...and Limerick is a great city!

You won't miss out anything by going to Mary I, but you'll gain loads....*cringe cringe cringe* :p
    I like the sound of that :D Are you speaking from experience?

I like the sound of that :D Are you speaking from experience?

Yep. Going into second year B.Ed :D

• Advertisement

Yep. Going into second year B.Ed :D
    I'm going into first year doing Liberal Arts! Do you know how people find the course? :)

I'm going into first year doing Liberal Arts! Do you know how people find the course? :)

Cool! There's a good chance we'll see each other at some stage, such is the thing with Mary I. Assignments are supposed to be a little difficult and so are the exams but nope anyone I've spoken too about it likes it! You'll be grand :pac:

Cool! There's a good chance we'll see each other at some stage, such is the thing with Mary I. Assignments are supposed to be a little difficult and so are the exams but nope anyone I've spoken too about it likes it! You'll be grand :pac:
    I've just finished a year in DBS studying psychology so I was going to keep that up in Mary I plus philosophy and theology! Do you know what they're meant to be like? (Sorry, you're the first person from Mary I I've been able to speak to :P) Also, I assume you're a girl as you're from Mary I :P

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I did Philosophy in first year and really enjoyed it. That was 2007/08, so I don't know if it's changed much since then.

I've just finished a year in DBS studying psychology so I was going to keep that up in Mary I plus philosophy and theology! Do you know what they're meant to be like? (Sorry, you're the first person from Mary I I've been able to speak to :P) Also, I assume you're a girl as you're from Mary I :P

I did Philosophy and Developmental Psychology in first year (remember I am a B.Ed, Arts might be different) but both were very interesting. Philosophy is intense stuff but it's not bad in fairness...the Philosophy lecturers are really really good...like they're complete whizzes at it (which they have to be but you know :P). Psychology is very strong too...

Hahahaha no I'm a lad...which is great altogether ;)

I did Philosophy and Developmental Psychology in first year (remember I am a B.Ed, Arts might be different) but both were very interesting. Philosophy is intense stuff but it's not bad in fairness...the Philosophy lecturers are really really good...like they're complete whizzes at it (which they have to be but you know :P). Psychology is very strong too...

Hahahaha no I'm a lad...which is great altogether ;)
    Sounding good! Cheers! Hahaha same as myself :P Any advice for first year? Are the clubs/societies fairly active?

Sounding good! Cheers! Hahaha same as myself :P Any advice for first year? Are the clubs/societies fairly active?

Just be social as possible and put in the effort in the first month or so...that's the time to get to know as many people as possible as college work isn't really full on and everyone will be very friendly and open. Don't worry anyway we're all one big family anyway :p

Yeah clubs and soc's are active. In fairness there aren't a whole load of them but it's more than enough considering the size of the college and everyone is catered for anyway!

Where are you staying? Have you accommodation sorted and stuff?

Just be social as possible and put in the effort in the first month or so...that's the time to get to know as many people as possible as college work isn't really full on and everyone will be very friendly and open. Don't worry anyway we're all one big family anyway :p

Yeah clubs and soc's are active. In fairness there aren't a whole load of them but it's more than enough considering the size of the college and everyone is catered for anyway!

Where are you staying? Have you accommodation sorted and stuff?
    Is the gym very accessible? Can you use the courts and stuff and weight rooms much? I really wanted somewhere very close to the college but cant really afford the likes of courtback or other places like city campus! Might be goin with a house on Wolfe Tone St?

I did Philosophy in first year and really enjoyed it. That was 2007/08, so I don't know if it's changed much since then.
    What topics did you cover?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

What topics did you cover?

The Origin of Ethics was the one module title I remember best. I think the first semester is more general though.

Over the year we were introduced to the basic of Sigmund Freud, Søren Kierkegaard, Ludvig Witgenstein, Friedrick Nietzsche, Plato, Aristotle, Jeremy Bentham, John Stuart Mill. Possibly a few others, but tis hard to remember everything after five years! :P It was easily the most thought-provoking thing I did in first year.

I loved Irish and English as well though, and I ended up sticking with Gaeilge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Is the gym very accessible? Can you use the courts and stuff and weight rooms much? I really wanted somewhere very close to the college but cant really afford the likes of courtback or other places like city campus! Might be goin with a house on Wolfe Tone St?

Wolfe Tone Street is a nice part of town! Plenty of students in the area too. Closer to town and MIC is still only a walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭North Cork Star

Hi, I'm going into First Year in Mary I doing Primary Teaching and looking forward to it! Just a few questions...
    As a male, what would be the most recommended campus for Accommodation for a Fresher?!
    Is there any Sport Facilities there?! :)

Hi, I'm going into First Year in Mary I doing Primary Teaching and looking forward to it! Just a few questions...
    As a male, what would be the most recommended campus for Accommodation for a Fresher?!
    Is there any Sport Facilities there?! :)
    There are lots of houses near the college! I'd go on rent.ie or daft.ie and you should find something, thats what I did! Or alternatively theres ashdown student village or city campus which are both good! Great sport facilities in Mary I, the sports hall tailteann was built a few years ago and is brilliant :) You can use the gym for 2euro a go or 60euro for the semester! And theres 6 badminton courts, indoor soccer etc!

As well as the above, there's a running track around the GAA pitch, and a second green area usually used for soccer training beside that. There should be a load of active clubs and societies (there's always Gaelic football, hurling/camogie, soccer, badminton, Gaisce, and over the last few years there's been tag rugby, dodgeball :P and a few different martial arts, among others). The Condell Road (from town towards Coonagh) is a great route for longer runs if you're into athletics. And if you have a bike it's only 20 minutes or so of a cycle out to UL.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭North Cork Star

Thanks for that! I will book my Accommodation in the next couple of days! Also, I'm looking forward to using the Sports Facilities and GAA teams!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Siggie

buyer95 wrote: »
    World renowned, really?:pac:

A degree from Mary I holds a lot of weight, from what I've heard. Partially to do with the fact that an Irish degree is well-respected and there are certain courses where Mary I is one of only three or four colleges that provide that course.

Well I'm here now and can say I'm very happy I came :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Siggie

Well I'm here now and can say I'm very happy I came :)

Glad to hear it! It's a fantastic college, but it doesn't appeal to everyone.

Advertisement