Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 4 mic problem.

• 23-08-2013 7:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Last week my girlfriend dropped her iPhone 4 and cracked the screen. It's well out of warranty so we sent it into a local phone/laptop repair place and got a new screen fitted.

When she got the phone back, the mic wasn't working (she can hear people they just can't hear her) so we left it back in a second time. The guy replaced the mic with a new one and all was working fine for a day or two then the same thing happened again. I've looked online and seen something about putting a piece of cardboard over the connections of the mic on the back of the phone and tried it. Again it worked for a day or two then stopped.

Has anyone got any ideas what's wrong? Could the motherboard need to be replaced?

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭neilmulvey

Duff wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Last week my girlfriend dropped her iPhone 4 and cracked the screen. It's well out of warranty so we sent it into a local phone/laptop repair place and got a new screen fitted.

When she got the phone back, the mic wasn't working (she can hear people they just can't hear her) so we left it back in a second time. The guy replaced the mic with a new one and all was working fine for a day or two then the same thing happened again. I've looked online and seen something about putting a piece of cardboard over the connections of the mic on the back of the phone and tried it. Again it worked for a day or two then stopped.

Has anyone got any ideas what's wrong? Could the motherboard need to be replaced?

Cheers.

I would think there was some sort of damage done when the screen was replaced which is causing an intermittent problem. Its not the board anyway by the sound of wat you have said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

I had the same problem with an iPhone 4 but it was the secondary mic on top causing the problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Neilmulvey - Any idea where to start looking?

Guil - Where abouts exactly is the secondary mic?

I've replaced a few screens before so I've got all the tools to take the phone apart here so I'll attempt it once I've narrowed the possibilities down.

@duff

The mic is on the flex which also has the charging port on it. It is plugged into the board under the shield which is on the other side of the main board from the sim reader. If the screen was replaced therefore the flex was removed so most likely there is a problem on that flex

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

The secondary mic is that little hole beside the earphone socket on top

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭aoshea83

First off sorry for bumping this thread but it happened to me recently on my 4S. The loud speaker worked for calls (which meant it wasn't a secondary mic issue) but normal voice calls and voice recording didn't register at all.

I had it fixed for €65 all in. This included a complete replacement of the affected part - the mic/dock bit in the phone.

There are things you could try if you're adventurous online, such as a wedge of cardboard in a certain place. I personally didn't feel comfortable opening up the phone so had to bite the bullet and shell out the money I didn't have for someone else to sort it.

If the mods don't mind, and by all means remove it if I shouldn't post it, but I used Repairit in Douglas Cork, and they did it in under an hour in fairness to them. Though a different company told me it wasn't possible but there ya go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Duff wrote: »

yes, the mic is the little gold bit on the very far right of the flex

Advertisement