Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LARGE -Tree Stump Removal advice ?

• 23-08-2013 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭

Hi
    I'm looking for some advice on LARGE -Tree Stump Removal.

Could anyone recommend some products and
    Some procedures to do it conveniently - WITHOUT machinery if possible

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Cowabunga

Conology wrote: »
    Hi

Thank you

What would you call large? Rough diameter. And how long has the stump been there? To be honest though even removing a small stump can be a tough job without the use of machinery. A few tools to go with would be a shovel, root axe and 6 ft crow bar. Again not a handy job by any means.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Conology

Hi Cowabunga
    Its about 2.5 - 3 feet in circumference - and at the moment about 3 feet high (see photo attached)
    Its a Eucalyptus - It was only cut down about 6 weeks ago and amazingly its starting to sprout already so I might leave it alone and see if it produces more shoots which might cover it up,

I have a second one (a Leylandi type) which is wider - about 4ft wide - its been cut for at least 10 years so I will have to get this one out for sure.

Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

Hi Cowabunga
    Its about 2.5 - 3 feet in circumference - and at the moment about 3 feet high (see photo attached)
    Its a Eucalyptus - It was only cut down about 6 weeks ago and amazingly its starting to sprout already so I might leave it alone and see if it produces more shoots which might cover it up,

I have a second one (a Leylandi type) which is wider - about 4ft wide - its been cut for at least 10 years so I will have to get this one out for sure.

Thanks for your help.

ever think of maybe makeing a garden table out of the stump not a big job to do that

barney4001 wrote: »
    ever think of maybe makeing a garden table out of the stump not a big job to do that

Yes - I have actually and believe it or not - I have a 3rd one (Leylandi type) which has 4 narrower legs and I have a piece of the Eucalyptus which is about 1ft thick by 3 ft wide which I am going to see what it looks like on top of those four legs. ( If I keep it up I'll have about 10 Tables in the garden soon - enough to have an outdoor restaurant :D... but enough timber for the next 2-3 winters I'd say)
    Thanks for your advice

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Cowabunga

Hi Cowabunga

Thanks for your help.

Okay well a good stump poison, I use round up. With a lean mix and make a few cuts in the stump, near the outer rings, or drill a few holes, and add the poison. It's a translocatant poison meaning your poison will be passed to the root system. Won't do much for your 10 year old stump but. Even at that it only speeds up the decaying process. Your old stump would still be a heavy challenge. Cold beers and a few pals round should speed it up!!!

• Advertisement

Cowabunga wrote: »
    Okay well a good stump poison, I use round up. With a lean mix and make a few cuts in the stump, near the outer rings, or drill a few holes, and add the poison. It's a translocatant poison meaning your poison will be passed to the root system. Won't do much for your 10 year old stump but. Even at that it only speeds up the decaying process. Your old stump would still be a heavy challenge. Cold beers and a few pals round should speed it up!!!

Just wondering - why it wont do for the 10yr old stump?
    Is it because the roots are dead now?
    It might make a good carving project - Totem Pole maybe ?:D

• Site Banned Posts: 5 Bobo Plonk

Hi

Thank you
    Soak the stump with petrol and burn it out

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,843 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Just wondering - why it wont do for the 10yr old stump?
    Is it because the roots are dead now?
    you can't kill something that's already dead.

as regards the petrol/burning option - you may not want to poison part of your garden like that.

you can't kill something that's already dead.

as regards the petrol/burning option - you may not want to poison part of your garden like that.

Won't poison anything. Just burn out what you don't want. Simple effective and organic

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,843 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

organic? yes, maybe in the 'organic chemistry' rather than 'organic gardening' sense.

• Advertisement

organic? yes, maybe in the 'organic chemistry' rather than 'organic gardening' sense.

Nope in every sense. Zero waste bar natural ashes

steer clear of those petrol fumes.

Advertisement