Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice whether to bulk or cut please

• 23-08-2013 9:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hey lads and lassies

Recently ive being doing a programme to get leaner, includes diet and workout
    Im undecided whether to continue to get leaner or to bulk up, im 6ft and 80kgs at the minute, i play gaa aswell so want to be still able to sprint etc but i want a bit of size too

What would you recommend? Do a lean muscle building programme or keep cutting?
    Below is a pic of me before and after 6 weeks after starting the cutting programme, any advice welcome

D82BFDC3-05C1-4AF3-B9FE-69C0BAAECB55-1428-00000143C0F810B0.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

Manta400r wrote: »
    Hey lads and lassies

Recently ive being doing a programme to get leaner, includes diet and workout
    Im undecided whether to continue to get leaner or to bulk up, im 6ft and 80kgs at the minute, i play gaa aswell so want to be still able to sprint etc but i want a bit of size too

What would you recommend? Do a lean muscle building programme or keep cutting?
    Below is a pic of me before and after 6 weeks after starting the cutting programme, any advice welcome

D82BFDC3-05C1-4AF3-B9FE-69C0BAAECB55-1428-00000143C0F810B0.jpg

I recommend cutting further until your happy with your bodyfat levels then bulk in a controlled manor . You will look better all round and you will be stronger at a lighter bodyweight which is good for bragging lol. This is just my opinion tho so do whatever you feel is right for you or you can stick to the best. If your sick of cutting now f*ck it go ahead and add some muscle but make sure you do it in the right way . Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Id say oppisate, bulk. You dont have much there tbh so if you go droping more bf then you will look skinny. Eat like fcuk, train like fcuk, lift heavy and dont worry about putting on a small bit of bf because if you fill out the chest and ahoulders you will not notice it and then you can start cutting. Good progress tho!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 99 ✭✭Manta400r

Thanks for the replies fellas, i think ill cut as much as possible alright and go from there, the last time i was this weight i was 17 lol,ive 3 stone down and muscle built since starting training earlier this year, pic doesmt show it but im happy enough with arms its just the moobs and stomach i wanna get rid of snd then il go building,

Thanks guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Are ya liftin heavy at the moment?

• Advertisement

Nothing major really, im doing 3 sets of high reps on most exercises, benching about 50kg for 10 - 12 reps! Dumbell bicep curls 16ish+ for 10-12 reps on about 3 sets too!

Nothing major really could probably up the weight and reduce reps a bit if i wanted to go heavier!

Nothing major really, im doing 3 sets of high reps on most exercises, benching about 50kg for 10 - 12 reps! Dumbell bicep curls 18-20kg + for 10-12 reps on about 3 sets too!

Nothing major really could probably up the weight and reduce reps a bit if i wanted to go heavier!

Your bicep curl to bench ratio is odd. Im guessing you need to work on your form for the curls. Whats your routine look like?

Routine is:

Monday
    Incline smith machine press worksets 1x 7-10 reps to Absolute failure, 2minutes rest followed by 10-12 reps to Absolute failure on a lighter weight then the first work set

barbell shoulder press 1x 7-10 reps to Absolute failure, 2minutes rest followed by 10-12 reps to Absolute failure on a lighter weight then the first work set

Side laterals 1x beat previous reps

narrow grip bench press 1x 7-10 reps to Absolute failure, 2minutes rest followed by 10-12 reps to Absolute failure on a lighter weight then the first work set

Wide grip chins, or assisted chins 2 sets of 10 reps very light, increase blood flow to muscles.... 3rd warm up set... 1 set of 5-6 reps slightly heavier, don't waste energy ( this should be a weight you can do for 15 reps) , warm up set 4 - 3 reps on a weight you can do for 12 reps. Final warm up set - 2 reps on a weight you can do for 10 reps.... Please do this war, up procedure at the start of every session on the starting exercise for that session

Wide grip chins worksets 1x 7-10 reps to Absolute failure, 2minutes rest followed by 10-12 reps to Absolute failure on a lighter weight then the first work set

t bar row 1x 7-10 reps to Absolute failure, 2minutes rest followed by 10-12 reps to Absolute failure on a lighter weight then the first work set

Tuesday
    Gaa training

Wednesday
    Alternate bicep curl worksets 1x 7-10 reps to Absolute failure, 2minutes rest followed by 10-12 reps to Absolute failure on a lighter weight then the first work set

Reverse cable curl 1x 7-10 reps to Absolute failure, 2minutes rest followed by 10-12 reps to Absolute failure on a lighter weight then the first work set

Seated hamstring curl warm ups 2 sets of 10 reps very light, increase blood flow to muscles.... 3rd warm up set... 1 set of 5-6 reps slightly heavier, don't waste energy ( this should be a weight you can do for 15 reps) , warm up set 4 - 3 reps on a weight you can do for 12 reps. Final warm up set - 2 reps on a weight you can do for 10 reps.... Please do this war, up procedure at the start of every session on the starting exercise for that session

Seated ham curl work sets 1x 7-10 reps to Absolute failure, 2minutes rest followed by 10-12 reps to Absolute failure on a lighter weight then the first work set

( if no seated, do standing ham curl. If no standing or seated change gym ! ...only kidding ( ish ) perform cable pull through

Dumbell stiff leg deadlift 1x beat previous reps

Barbell back squat 2 sets of 10 reps very light, increase blood flow to muscles.... 3rd warm up set... 1 set of 5-6 reps slightly heavier, don't waste energy ( this should be a weight you can do for 15 reps) , warm up set 4 - 3 reps on a weight you can do for 12 reps. Final warm up set - 2 reps on a weight you can do for 10 reps.... Please do this war, up procedure at the start of every session on the starting exercise for that session

Barbell back squat worksets 1x 7-10 reps to Absolute failure, 2minutes rest followed by 10-12 reps to Absolute failure on a lighter weight then the first work set, 1x20

Toe press on the leg press 1x 7-10 reps to Absolute failure, 2minutes rest followed by 10-12 reps to Absolute failure on a lighter weight then the first

plyometric work- 3 sets of 5 reps of depth jumps ...start on a bench, jump up and land on the floor then immediately propel yourself into a second jump as high as possible. Take 5-10secomd between jumps. 2mins between sets.

Thursday
    Gaa training

Friday

Flat dumbell press workets 1x 7-10 reps to Absolute failure, 2minutes rest followed by 10-12 reps to Absolute failure on a lighter weight then the first work set

Dumbell shoulder press - 1x 7-10 reps to Absolute failure, 2minutes rest followed by 10-12 reps to Absolute failure on a lighter weight then the first work set

Side dumbell laterals 1x20-30

Dips - 1x 7-10 reps to Absolute failure, 2minutes rest followed by 10-12 reps to Absolute failure on a lighter weight then the first work set

Latpulldown worksets 1x 7-10 reps to Absolute failure, 2minutes rest followed by 10-12 reps to Absolute failure on a lighter weight then the first work set

Bent over barbell row 1x 7-10 reps to Absolute failure, 2minutes rest followed by 10-12 reps to Absolute failure on a lighter weight then the first work set

Speed press ups- 8 sets of 3reps .. 60seconds rest between sets..... In this exercise the focus is on explosive strength, lower yourself slowly then explode up as fast as possible

Saturday
    Gaa match

Sunday
    Barbell bicep curl worksets 1x 7-10 reps to Absolute failure, 2minutes rest followed by 10-12 reps to Absolute failure on a lighter weight then the first work set

reverse barbell curl 1x 7-10 reps to Absolute failure, 2minutes rest followed by 10-12 reps to Absolute failure on a lighter weight then the first work set

lying hamstring curl worksets 1x 7-10 reps to Absolute failure, 2minutes rest followed by 10-12 reps to Absolute failure on a lighter weight then the first work set

dumbell stiff leg deadlift 1x20

Leg press 1x 7-10 reps to Absolute failure, 2minutes rest followed by 10-12 reps to Absolute failure on a lighter weight then the first work set, 1x 20 reps to absolute failure

Calf raise standing 1x 7-10 reps to Absolute failure, 2minutes rest followed by 10-12 reps to Absolute failure on a lighter weight then the first work set

Speed work- barbell box squat ...8 sets of 3 reps....weight at 50percent maximal squat

Thats pretty much what the programme is, i usually do about 3/4 sets of max amount of reps stated at the heaviest i can do for those amount of rep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Routine is:

Monday
    Incline smith machine press worksets 1x 7-10 reps to Absolute failure, 2minutes rest followed by 10-12 reps to Absolute failure on a lighter weight then the first work set

barbell shoulder press 1x 7-10 reps to Absolute failure, 2minutes rest followed by 10-12 reps to Absolute failure on a lighter weight then the first work set

Side laterals 1x beat previous reps

narrow grip bench press 1x 7-10 reps to Absolute failure, 2minutes rest followed by 10-12 reps to Absolute failure on a lighter weight then the first work set

Wide grip chins, or assisted chins 2 sets of 10 reps very light, increase blood flow to muscles.... 3rd warm up set... 1 set of 5-6 reps slightly heavier, don't waste energy ( this should be a weight you can do for 15 reps) , warm up set 4 - 3 reps on a weight you can do for 12 reps. Final warm up set - 2 reps on a weight you can do for 10 reps.... Please do this war, up procedure at the start of every session on the starting exercise for that session

Wide grip chins worksets 1x 7-10 reps to Absolute failure, 2minutes rest followed by 10-12 reps to Absolute failure on a lighter weight then the first work set

t bar row 1x 7-10 reps to Absolute failure, 2minutes rest followed by 10-12 reps to Absolute failure on a lighter weight then the first work set

Tuesday
    Gaa training

Wednesday
    Alternate bicep curl worksets 1x 7-10 reps to Absolute failure, 2minutes rest followed by 10-12 reps to Absolute failure on a lighter weight then the first work set

Reverse cable curl 1x 7-10 reps to Absolute failure, 2minutes rest followed by 10-12 reps to Absolute failure on a lighter weight then the first work set

Seated hamstring curl warm ups 2 sets of 10 reps very light, increase blood flow to muscles.... 3rd warm up set... 1 set of 5-6 reps slightly heavier, don't waste energy ( this should be a weight you can do for 15 reps) , warm up set 4 - 3 reps on a weight you can do for 12 reps. Final warm up set - 2 reps on a weight you can do for 10 reps.... Please do this war, up procedure at the start of every session on the starting exercise for that session

Seated ham curl work sets 1x 7-10 reps to Absolute failure, 2minutes rest followed by 10-12 reps to Absolute failure on a lighter weight then the first work set

( if no seated, do standing ham curl. If no standing or seated change gym ! ...only kidding ( ish ) perform cable pull through

Dumbell stiff leg deadlift 1x beat previous reps

Barbell back squat 2 sets of 10 reps very light, increase blood flow to muscles.... 3rd warm up set... 1 set of 5-6 reps slightly heavier, don't waste energy ( this should be a weight you can do for 15 reps) , warm up set 4 - 3 reps on a weight you can do for 12 reps. Final warm up set - 2 reps on a weight you can do for 10 reps.... Please do this war, up procedure at the start of every session on the starting exercise for that session

Barbell back squat worksets 1x 7-10 reps to Absolute failure, 2minutes rest followed by 10-12 reps to Absolute failure on a lighter weight then the first work set, 1x20

Toe press on the leg press 1x 7-10 reps to Absolute failure, 2minutes rest followed by 10-12 reps to Absolute failure on a lighter weight then the first

plyometric work- 3 sets of 5 reps of depth jumps ...start on a bench, jump up and land on the floor then immediately propel yourself into a second jump as high as possible. Take 5-10secomd between jumps. 2mins between sets.

Thursday
    Gaa training

Friday

Flat dumbell press workets 1x 7-10 reps to Absolute failure, 2minutes rest followed by 10-12 reps to Absolute failure on a lighter weight then the first work set

Dumbell shoulder press - 1x 7-10 reps to Absolute failure, 2minutes rest followed by 10-12 reps to Absolute failure on a lighter weight then the first work set

Side dumbell laterals 1x20-30

Dips - 1x 7-10 reps to Absolute failure, 2minutes rest followed by 10-12 reps to Absolute failure on a lighter weight then the first work set

Latpulldown worksets 1x 7-10 reps to Absolute failure, 2minutes rest followed by 10-12 reps to Absolute failure on a lighter weight then the first work set

Bent over barbell row 1x 7-10 reps to Absolute failure, 2minutes rest followed by 10-12 reps to Absolute failure on a lighter weight then the first work set

Speed press ups- 8 sets of 3reps .. 60seconds rest between sets..... In this exercise the focus is on explosive strength, lower yourself slowly then explode up as fast as possible

Saturday
    Gaa match

Sunday
    Barbell bicep curl worksets 1x 7-10 reps to Absolute failure, 2minutes rest followed by 10-12 reps to Absolute failure on a lighter weight then the first work set

reverse barbell curl 1x 7-10 reps to Absolute failure, 2minutes rest followed by 10-12 reps to Absolute failure on a lighter weight then the first work set

lying hamstring curl worksets 1x 7-10 reps to Absolute failure, 2minutes rest followed by 10-12 reps to Absolute failure on a lighter weight then the first work set

dumbell stiff leg deadlift 1x20

Leg press 1x 7-10 reps to Absolute failure, 2minutes rest followed by 10-12 reps to Absolute failure on a lighter weight then the first work set, 1x 20 reps to absolute failure

Calf raise standing 1x 7-10 reps to Absolute failure, 2minutes rest followed by 10-12 reps to Absolute failure on a lighter weight then the first work set

Speed work- barbell box squat ...8 sets of 3 reps....weight at 50percent maximal squat

Thats pretty much what the programme is, i usually do about 3/4 sets of max amount of reps stated at the heaviest i can do for those amount of rep

Looks like a decent routine but for the absolute failure bits . Squatting to absolute failure? Brave guy. Id leave the failure bit out and leave a rep in the tank and stop there otherwise I predict an injury.

• Advertisement

Yeah thats exactly the way i do it, thsts just the format i was sent!! Any ideas on improving it?

Saw the post and thanked him for the reply didnt get to read it yet though, thanks for your concern.

Yeah thats exactly the way i do it, thsts just the format i was sent!! Any ideas on improving it?

To be honest I wouldnt go improving your routine when theres great routines out there written by experts with progression schemes built in to make sure your getting stronger and getting results. Check out amazing emmets link or jump on a program such as (starting strength) or (stronglifts5x5) and throw in some arms and youll be well on your way to great results.

Thanks lads appreciate the help will read that link when i get home from work!
    Thanks lads like i said im relatively new to all this so im all ears

Advertisement