Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Benbulben Access

Options
  • 23-08-2013 10:03pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Heading to Sligo in 2 weeks and will have an afternoon free.

So, was looking at hiking up Benbulben, but the more I go through various websites (mtviews.ie etc) the access seems to be a problem.

Is there any acceptable access points to climb this mt.
    Having climbed Mweelrea mt (mayo) last week and Lug often, I just find it strange that a mt is not accessible.

Anyways -it seems the north side of the range has the easiest access.

any points on where to start this day out ? 10+ KM 4-5hrs will do the trick.

Thanks
    K

Comments

I'd say try mountainviews.ie if noone here can answer. It's usually very good for flagging any access issues and alternative routes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

There's certainly access to the open mountainside from here http://www.coillteoutdoors.ie/?id=53&rec_site=157

but it might be regarded as an adventurous approach!! Though I think you could ascend towards what's shown as a quarry (disused) on this and then continue around east to bypass the cliffs..

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

Thanks

looking thru a few different comments on diff sites.

The southern section - along by Glencar seems to be the area of concern.

But found a nice route from Lukes Bridge - which is just north of the head.
    Around by a water station. Parking is available. and the climb looks great.

will try that way this time and look at that forest you mentioned too.

Thanks

K

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭pauld81

Don't mean to step on any toes here as you all seem very experienced but I've been up there a good few times..
    As afore mentioned the quarry access is a nice handy trek up (like a tractor path) from the center of the Horseshoe. There are two gates and the land between is the contentious area.. Anyway once at the top of the quarry keep right and follow the path to a fence, follow the fence and it will lead you to the top rim of the Horseshoe, beware of bog holes and foggy days!
    If you go up and over the mountain, try get to the void on the southern side, it is very impressive!
    If ya want any more pointers or tips about the walks call into Turf n Surf, Bundoran.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

Here is a video of a route up, you may be interested in. It is a few years old so the access may have changed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

That's an interesting find - is it part of a series of videos for Sligo walks? Seems to be more or less the route I was suggesting up from Gortarowey forest. Like the way the route is graded Easy at beginning and then yer man says later 'the first hour of this walk was really difficult'!!

BarryD wrote: »
    That's an interesting find - is it part of a series of videos for Sligo walks? Seems to be more or less the route I was suggesting up from Gortarowey forest. Like the way the route is graded Easy at beginning and then yer man says later 'the first hour of this walk was really difficult'!!

It is from Walking Ireland, he has loads of videos of different mountains in Ireland, actually seen the video on Amazon, don't see it anymore. There are few which puzzle me though, like the Lug. He says he goes from Glenmalure but I went there a few weeks ago and went Fraghen's Rock and came down the Zig-Zags and I seen none of his route, though it is 4 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Gasherbraun

FrostyJack wrote: »
    It is from Walking Ireland, he has loads of videos of different mountains in Ireland, actually seen the video on Amazon, don't see it anymore. There are few which puzzle me though, like the Lug. He says he goes from Glenmalure but I went there a few weeks ago and went Fraghen's Rock and came down the Zig-Zags and I seen none of his route, though it is 4 years old.

The route he follows on the Lug video is the Table track. It runs NW up Glenmalure then doglegs (at T021967) back roughly SE over Camenabologue and onto Lugnaquillia. If you went up through the Fraughn Rock glen you would have joined the same track (at approx T030933) and followed it SE onto the summit of Lug.

That was the only other option I could think of but that is a long way to get there. Probably safer than going up the waterfall though.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Gasherbraun

FrostyJack wrote: »
    That was the only other option I could think of but that is a long way to get there. Probably safer than going up the waterfall though.

It is quite a long route and you need to watch the navigation (it follows the boundary of the artillery range) but it is less well used so nice and peaceful usually :-)

Have to say I like going up through the Fraughn glen but do not like descending by the waterfall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 gallybander

Frosty Jack
    That is one great video

Advertisement