Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for Butchers in Baldoyle?

Options
  • 23-08-2013 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I am just moving to a new apartment in Baldoyle in September and was looking to find out where the nearest butchers is for me in this area?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

There are 2 kerrigans, one in donaghmede shopping centre and the other is more of an outlet in baldoyle industrial estate. You also have Higgins and superquinn down in Sutton cross.

I use the outlet one quite a bit and find it very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Kerrigans in Doneghmede shopping center is sh*t in fairness.. Most of their meats are not butchered on the premises but are bought in pre-packed, which is a pity because they used to be very good.

Sad to say but I'd rather by my meats from Dunnes in the same center than use Kerrigans again.

I'd be a fairly big beef/steak eater and I'd rather use Lidl in Baldoyle (very good but expensive steaks), Dunnes in the S.C. or Tesco's finest range in Clear Hall ~ sadly the area is lacking a proper butchers unless you take a drive to Portmarnock and use the butchers beside Dunnes (can't remember the name sorry) ~ but I'd recommend avoiding Kerrigans.

There's also 'The Meat Factory' up past Balgriffin cemetery, their steaks are like Kerrigans (sh*t) but they do very good meal deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

+ 1 for the steaks from Lidl in Baldoyle. Excellent quality, but they ain't cheap.

The new butchers in Sutton Cross are really good, but they are fairly pricey also. If you are up that far, you may as well hit up Superquinn, as it is just next door.

There are no butchers at all in Baldoyle as far as I'm aware. Tesco, Clarehall or Dunnes in Donaghmeade are the nearest supermarkets. There is a butcher in Donaghmeade, Kerrigans. About half of what they sell are pre packaged meal deals, but they do also have traditional cuts behind the counter that you can purchase the old fashioned way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

I actually like Kerrigan's in Donaghmede, although I never buy their pre-packaged stuff. Tbh though, I find it very handy because I work on a stand right in front of it, so even if it were crap, I'd still use it for handiness sake. :pac:

I think Clare Hall still has a butchers upstairs, opposite Tesco, which was decent last time I bought stuff there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Esoteric_ wrote: »
    I actually like Kerrigan's in Donaghmede, although I never buy their pre-packaged stuff. Tbh though, I find it very handy because I work on a stand right in front of it, so even if it were crap, I'd still use it for handiness sake. :pac:

I think Clare Hall still has a butchers upstairs, opposite Tesco, which was decent last time I bought stuff there.

Kerrigans used to be very good, with proper butchers who can advise you on the best cooking methods for various cuts.. Or cut a nice steak to your liking, I think they have one of the original staff left.. Never be tempted to try their meat balls in the ready meal packs, they're pure nasty lol.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Kerrigans used to be very good, with proper butchers who can advise you on the best cooking methods for various cuts.. Or cut a nice steak to your liking, I think they have one of the original staff left.. Never be tempted to try their meat balls in the ready meal packs, they're pure nasty lol.

Yeah, I think the original staff member is the older guy, Dave? Really talkative and loud? Have to say, he's brilliant for giving customers cooking tips and telling them what to do with it. :)

Thank god I don't eat meat balls. :)

Tbh, it's not Baldoyle, but the OP could try O'Mahoney Meats in the Industrial estate in Coolock? They're fantastic value, and great meat. They butcher everything on-site.

Edit to add: I saw you in Donaghmede a few days ago, Melania Scarce Bobcat, and you never said hi! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭jonnygiles

Thanks for all the responses guys! Will do most of my shopping in Lidl id imagine, will have to check out a few of the places you guys mentioned!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 beeekeeper

Dublin Meat Company have a shop in the Kinsealy garden Centre on the Malahide Road. v Good Quality !

Advertisement