Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American Football team in Athlone

Options
  • 23-08-2013 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭

Would love to see an American football team set up in athlone. Any interest? anyone setting one up or thinking of doing so? i would say there is big interest.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Why do you think there would be a big interest? Just wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

I know 10-15 lads with a huge interest in it ad at least half would play so say there is a small demand maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

Raf32 wrote: »
    Would love to see an American football team set up in athlone. Any interest? anyone setting one up or thinking of doing so? i would say there is big interest.

There is one in ttullamore. Which is only 25 minutes away. Played in Dublin. Can't see Athlone having the numbers to support it, but if some one sets one up, sure it would be rude not to tog out.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭mandz

There's also a team in Mullingar, they were doing a recruitment drive there a while back in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭CriticEyes

I played for tullamore last season and I would like to get back into it. I had no transport up and back so it cost me a fortune on buses and trains as well as relying on friends. I know at least 2 pals that would join up too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

cool i got four including myself so far, how many would we be needing? 30?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Something on the radio again today about the Mullingar Minnators team

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

I am class at madden - I can coach qb sneaks and hail marys if thats of any use.

cool i got four including myself so far, how many would we be needing? 30?

Yeah. One of the big problems we had when i was playing was numbers. 1 or 2 injuries and we were screwed. A few lads were playing iron man ( playing special teams, offense and defense).

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭TheBrewMeister

CriticEyes wrote: »
    Yeah. One of the big problems we had when i was playing was numbers. 1 or 2 injuries and we were screwed. A few lads were playing iron man ( playing special teams, offense and defense).

You ever considered doing what us old "retired from the sport" Americans do? - flag football.

A lot less injuries. Cant afford to miss work because you broke something playin football, right?

• Advertisement

You ever considered doing what us old "retired from the sport" Americans do? - flag football.

A lot less injuries. Cant afford to miss work because you broke something playin football, right?

personally I don't get the same rush from flag football. But I think any team starting an American Football team has to play 1 season flag football to show their development. Then i think you are allowed if good enough and met the requirements are allowed into the big league the IAFL.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Joemcn95

Would definitely be interested, Think Athlone would be have the numbers.

Should post this in the American Football forum and see what kind of reaction it gets.

Advertisement