Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any advice or suggestions for bringing outdoor dogs to indoor

• 24-08-2013 12:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭

My dogs are outdoor dogs but am bringing them in soon. Am waiting until week after next to start the transition. Things are ar*eways in the house at the moment because of the summer holidays.

The male would be happy living anywhere, the bitch though gets anxious. I think she will be far more settled with her own space. And will feel much safer in the house. She doesn't like change at all, and gets incredibly skittish at loud noises, strangers, etc. Once September comes, she will have to come in every night as the bangers terrify her.

Milly will be the problem, Sam is laid back and relaxed. Milly I think, has the typical traits of a fear/aggressive dog. So unless handled right, I don't want to create any problems for her further down the road.
    She gave me a right bite (didn't break skin), when we went camping, whilst I was putting up the air beds, did not like the sound of the pump at all. I am aware of her, and want to keep her feeling safe.

Sam is a Westie X, and Milly is a Jack Russell. He is neutered & she isn't, if that makes any difference.

Would I get a crate for them? One Each? Although one each would be a problem as I probably won't have the floor space, as the guinea pigs will have to come back in for the winter also.

Neither of them is house trained - will that be a problem training them as adults. Will they pick it up quicker or slower?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

It shouldn't be terribly hard to do. It sounds like your girl could definitely do with her own space though, so maybe consider crates, you wouldn't need large ones or if they like to sleep together why not just get one big one. Regardless of whether you do crates or not try and put their beds some where quiet and calm, where there isn't too much foot traffic or lot's of loud noises. Try and make the change as seamless as possible for them, maybe just start with keeping them in at night and build from there.

As for house training, it will probably be easier to train them as they are older, puppies have small bladders and can't hold it what so ever. All you need to do is take them out and when they go give plenty of praise. Just look up training tips online.

Advertisement