Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Horizon TV & WDTV Live Hub - Media Device not integrating with Horizon

• 24-08-2013 2:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭

I have my WDTV Live Hub connected directly via Ethernet to the back of the Horizon box.

Horizon sees it when I set up the Network in Settings.

However, unlike other 'My Devices' which it can see listed on the Network (my PC files, Logitech Media Server), when I click the WDTV Live Hub option under 'My Devices', Music, Video & Pictures are listed to the right, but it won't let me scroll up/down & click to choose eg video - it just freezes - all I can do is go Back.

So I cannot get to see any of the files on the WDTV LiveHub through the Horizon box.

Connecting media devices to have one entry point for all your needs seemed to be one of the selling points for Horizon, yet this doesn't seem to work with the WDTV Live Hub.

After holding for 55 mins (no lie), I eventually got connected to the Self Install Helpdesk, who while trying to be helpful, are by their own admission focusing on getting internet & wifi running, & connecting PCs & tablets. They knew little of how to troubleshoot connecting media devices.

Help & advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭banchang

Seems as though my understanding of the way Horizon works was wrong. Pity the Self Install team couldn't have told me this.

I got a callback today where it was explained that the LAN ports on the back of Horizon are 'Out only' ie connecting media devices directly via ethernet will not feed files into Horizon to enable them to be played through Horizon box.

The only way to do this is to get the WDTV Live Hub onto the home network, & then play them that way through Horizon.

One added requirement : any device hosting files which is picked up on the Home Network must be running Twonky for the files to be played on Horizon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

banchang wrote: »
    Seems as though my understanding of the way Horizon works was wrong. Pity the Self Install team couldn't have told me this.

I got a callback today where it was explained that the LAN ports on the back of Horizon are 'Out only' ie connecting media devices directly via ethernet will not feed files into Horizon to enable them to be played through Horizon box.

The only way to do this is to get the WDTV Live Hub onto the home network, & then play them that way through Horizon.

One added requirement : any device hosting files which is picked up on the Home Network must be running Twonky for the files to be played on Horizon.

That's Wrong you don't need Twonky to be installed
    all you need is any dlna media server software installed
    Some are great some are not try different Media Server software that suits your needs best

Google Media Server Software
    Some are free and some are paid versions

Note Windows Media Player itself has streaming and is part of Windows and works on Horizon Fully
    To get MKV files to play install VLC Player on your PC

Also great bit of software is Shark007 Codec to enable Windows Media Player to play all video formats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭dam099

I don't think there is a such thing as an out only LAN port, i believe they are always bi-directional though having a path between two devices doesn't guarantee they can communicate. As Paul mentions you need a DLNA server of which Twonky is only one. However your WD Live may have a built in Twonky server option you can enable (mine does) thus avoiding the need to use a PC based one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I hope you didn't get that 'information' from the UPC team! Connecting your media device via one of the ethernet ports on the back of the horizon box is putting your device on the home network. This is the way I have my Synology Discstation connected to the network and it works perfectly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭banchang

Tks for replies. BTW yes I did get this info from the UPC team.

Anyway, I have the WDTV connected to the Horizon by ethernet. It's seen as one of the devices on my Home Network.

With the WDTV on the Home Network, why can't I see the files on the WDTV that way ?

When I select it under My Devices, it now says 'No Contents Shared'.

I have 500GB+ of various video formats, pictures & music on the WDTV. WDTV runs Twonky (as DAM009 says).

From my PC I can see/play all the files on the WDTV on the network.

Any idea why I cannot see what's on the WDTV through the Horizon ?

• Advertisement

Anyway, I have the WDTV connected to the Horizon by ethernet. It's seen as one of the devices on my Home Network.

With the WDTV on the Home Network, why can't I see the files on the WDTV that way ?

I have 500GB+ of various video formats, pictures & music on the WDTV. WDTV runs Twonky (as DAM009 says).

You have to share the folders on your WDTV Drive
    Right click the folder or folders to be seen by all devices and share the folders

You can also add the folders on the WDTV Drives to windows media player library videos
    All files you add to windows media library will show up on horizon in media devices under windows media player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Thast a pretty round about way of doing it with windows media player as it would mean you'd have to have all 3 devices, WD, Horizon and PC on for it to work.

I have a WD myself but not here at the moment, Ill see if I can get it to work.

banchang did you get them to do re-provision your existing router and not use horizon as your router as I see you mentioned this in another post

If you did get re-provision of your existing router done then you need to connect WDTV Live Hub to your existing router and not to your horizon

You then with horizon network setup use join a network (not create a network) using wired cable from existing router to horizon or wireless using ssid from your existing router not the horizon wifi ssid

Remember if you get re-provision done of your existing router
    The Horizon is no longer your router

You can only join a network with horizon using cable connection to other router or use wireless network of your other router
    all other devices need to be connected to your other router not horizon as its no longer a router

If you need re-provision of your existing router due to a location of your pc for a wired connection and its not possible for you to have a wired connection to horizon

Remember you only can use the horizon to join your network of existing router by wireless of your other router and the lan ports of horizon will have no use except 1 lan port only to connect to other router wired the other lan ports will be of no use

If you want to connect devices direct to horizon using wired or wifi of horizon don't get re-provision of your existing router done as you need the horizon to be your router

Note You can still use another Wireless Router if setup as a wireless access point only it will need to have a wired connection from horizon lan to the lan or wan connection of your separate wireless router Belkin Asus Netgear Buffalo Wireless Routers
    (the other lan connections of this router is now is a Ethernet switch for wired connections)

This also gives you a second wireless router to use for better wireless and signal range especially with apple devices
    any devices connected wireless on other router will show up on horizon if upnp is enabled on horizon and device connected is dlna certified and sharing of files or folders is enabled of the device

If you want to get full use of Horizon and its networks ability don't get re-provision of your existing router done
    If you Need to have better wireless use another wireless router in access point mode only if your wireless router supports it
    If that not possible buy Gigabit HomePlug kit for wired connection in any room in your home that has a power socket

I hope you found this information useful and any other users it may help

What has what you just wrote got to do with getting the WD to work with horizon?

What has what you just wrote got to do with getting the WD to work with horizon?

Because he was connecting his WD direct to horizon lan port
    If Horizon is not his router (Lan ports now don't have a active network )
    as he said before he got re-provision done of his original UPC router in another post and he needs to connect the WD to his re-provision Router

Some other customers might not know you need horizon to be the router to use its lans ports to give other devices a network connection wired

• Advertisement

Horizon lan ports are active regardless of being in 'Create Network' (Gateway mode) or 'Join Network' (deconsolidated mode).

I have one of these WD live hubs and have it directly connected to the horizon box and it works perfectly without any specific configuration.

So basically I still have absolutly no idea why you are suggesting what you are suggesting?

Horizon lan ports are active regardless of being in 'Create Network' (Gateway mode) or 'Join Network' (deconsolidated mode).

I have one of these WD live hubs and have it directly connected to the horizon box and it works perfectly without any specific configuration.

So basically I still have absolutly no idea why you are suggesting what you are suggesting?

Did you not read his horizon is deconsolidated the router in the horizon is no longer used
    He has Original UPC Router for a network
    He can use the Horizon to join his UPC Router Network by Wired or Wireless using Join Network only
    He cant just connect the WD To the Horizon Wired as the Horizon lan its not his network connection

If he uses the Horizon to join a network then any devices connected to the UPC Router not the Horizon will show up on horizon my devices and will play
    He needs to Connect the WD LIVE to the UPC Router that's active

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

You need to understand your network.

Just because something has a port doesn't mean its on the network. Even if its physically attached to it.

A deconsolidated Horizon will pass through the DHCP from the UPC standalone router and the ports all remain active and part of the network. The WD can play Just fine connected directly to the LAN ports of a deconsolidated Horizon box.

I know the below info not directly for The WD Drive Problem but its useful info

This link below is better info on Horizon and support info than Upc Ireland

http://www.upc-cablecom.ch/en/support/product-overview/horizon/

Information on Network Setup Of Horizon that's using deconsolidated Horizon box

https://support-en.upc-cablecom.ch/app/answers/detail/a_id/5335/

Note important don't do the Set up home media on horizon
    as this will cause your horizon box to freeze and remote control to be un responsive

Problems with Horizon Important
    See info below
    Recommendations for using DLNA
    Horizon’s DLNA functionality is currently limited. If you possess a large number of photos, videos or audio content, the box may freeze or respond very slowly. We recommend you use a LAN cable to connect Horizon to your home network or else use fewer than 1,000 files.
    If your box exhibits problems despite that, we recommend restoring Horizon’s factory settings and forgoing use of the media playback function from the home network for the time being.
    We are working with our technology partners to extend the number of compatible formats and improve the cataloguing of media content from the home network. However, we cannot currently say exactly when there will be a solution.

You don't need to populate home network videos or music

Use My Library
    My Devices

Lot of horizon freeze problem is due to users doing the Set up home media on horizon don't do this set up if you have more than 1000 files
    Any DLNA server device will show up on horizon in My Library in My Devices if device is supported

https://support-en.upc-cablecom.ch/app/answers/detail/a_id/5339/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

How did you manage to do that? First my WD live was connected via wifi, today I connected it to horizon box wired. I have already created home network on the horizon box.

Still when I go to devices, horizon says no device detected?

Do I need to do anything else on the horizon or WD??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Upgrade the firmware in the drive

ted1 wrote: »
    Upgrade the firmware in the drive

Which drive? WD Live already has the latest firmware.

Ok, Here are my settings on the WD Live that I think may be relevant

On The WD live I can see content in Music, Videos and Pictures sections

In Setup>Network Settings>Network Setup> I have Automatic enabled. IF I am connected via Lan cable using the Horizon box in Create network mode I get a 192.168.192.x address and if I connect when its in Join Network Mode and the Horizon Box is either wired or wirelessly connected to a router I get the more standard 192.168.1.x address.

Check Connection give me three corrects
    Device name is WDTVLiveHub
    Network Share management, Windows share on, DLNA Media Server On, Itunes server off.
    Workgroup is workgroup
    Proxy is off
    Enable access to Linux off

In Setup> Operation
    Sync From USb is Sync all files
    Sync from network off
    Auto Play off
    3 hr Energy saving off

In Setup> Syatem
    Media Library is on
    Get content info is Auto
    Additional encoding support is wester Europe

Firmware is 3.12.12

It does take time for the Horizon Box to catalogue the contents.

With The WD box connected to the Horizon box via Ethernet cable:
    On the Horizon Box I would goto Settings>Home Network>Refresh Media Catalogue choose 'refresh media catalogue'

After that goto Setup Home network and go through either the create or Join network as appropriate and when that done choose not to scan for media.

Give it an hour to catalogue the Files.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

take time for the Horizon Box to catalogue the contents.

With The WD box connected to the Horizon box via Ethernet cable:
    On the Horizon Box I would goto Settings>Home Network>Refresh Media Catalogue choose 'refresh media catalogue'

After that goto Setup Home network and go through either the create or Join network as appropriate and when that done choose not to scan for media.

Give it an hour to catalogue the Files.
    i use a WM My book world. leave home network off.
    i just go to "My devices" then select the drive. Once i updated twonkey on mybookworld it worked straight away

• Advertisement

Be Careful if your hard drive of WD Live has more than 1000 files
    you may end up freezing your horizon box

It may become unresponsive including your remote

You can still play videos and music from My devices
    if you populate My home network video or my music and you have a large video library your horizon box will freeze
    DONT USE SET UP HOME MEDIA IN NETWORK SETTINGS IF YOU HAVE LARGE VIDEO LIBRARY

https://support-en.upc-cablecom.ch/app/answers/detail/a_id/5339/

This is from horizon manual
    Recommendations for using DLNA
    Horizon’s DLNA functionality is currently limited. If you possess a large number of photos, videos or audio content, the box may freeze or respond very slowly. We recommend you use a LAN cable to connect Horizon to your home network or else use fewer than 1,000 files.

If your box exhibits problems despite that, we recommend restoring Horizon’s factory settings and forgoing use of the media playback function from the home network for the time being.

We are working with our technology partners to extend the number of compatible formats and improve the cataloguing of media content from the home network. However, we cannot currently say exactly when there will be a solution

Horizon Box freezing is caused by this if you RUN SET UP HOME MEDIA IN NETWORK SETTINGS
    If you have small number of files and is mostly music you will be ok but if you have over 1000 files and are mostly video you will cause the horizon box to freeze or become unresponsive

You don't need to run SET UP HOME MEDIA
    USE
    MY Library
    My Devices
    Videos
    Folders

Up until a week or two ago Cablecom was on a really really old version of the Horizon Firmware and have only recently Upgraded to the way more advanced version launched in Ireland. The 1000 file limit refers to the Cablecom launch version of the software.

http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2013/08/08/upc-cablecom-announces-horizon-update/

Up until a week or two ago Cablecom was on a really really old version of the Horizon Firmware and have only recently Upgraded to the way more advanced version launched in Ireland. The 1000 file limit refers to the Cablecom launch version of the software.

http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2013/08/08/upc-cablecom-announces-horizon-update/

There using the same horizon firmware they got it on August 12th we have in Ireland (We got the Firmware on 2nd August) and the manual link is for the updated horizon we are using now it shows the new remote we are using

http://www.upc-cablecom.ch/en/support/instructions/horizon/#topspot_fullwidth_tabs_2

User Manual
    http://www.upc-cablecom.ch/content/dam/www-upc-cablecom-ch/Support/manuals/en/hrz/upc-horizon-user-manual.pdf
    shows its the latest model

Page 47
    of latest up to date user manual with new remote

Horizon’s DLNA functionality is currently limited. If you possess a large number of photos,
    videos or audio content, the box may freeze or respond very slowly. We recommend you
    use a LAN cable to connect Horizon to your home network or else use fewer than 1,000
    files. If your box exhibits problems despite that, we recommend restoring Horizon’s factory
    settings and forgoing use of the media playback function from the home network for the
    time being. We are working with our technology partners to extend the number of compatible
    formats and improve the cataloguing of media content from the home network

don't run SET UP HOME MEDIA if you have a large video library
    This is a known problem and is the cause of box freeze I told upc to inform customers about this

Note it was the beta testers in Ireland testing the H2 Update before it was released on August 12th the official launch day

You can still play music and videos perfect if your PC or Laptop has DLNA server software

Windows Media Player
    Twonky
    Serviio
    Any DLNA server software
    Make sure you have VLC Player installed for MKV playback

Also optional to use is shark007 codec will allow windows media player playback all video formats and stream all video formats to horizon for playback

Note any hard drives connected to your PC or Laptop using the above server software and contents shared will show up in my devices on horizon listed as
    Windows Media Player
    Twonky
    Serviio depending on which of software you have installed on your PC or Laptop

just tell the dnla server software (installed on your PC/Laptop) your using what videos music you want to be shared from your devices connected to your Pc or Laptop

Also for best streaming performance use a wired connection of your PC/Laptop to Horizon

Wireless streaming will work but if the video is mkv for example or file its large in size above 1GB you may have buffering of video or it might stop playing as its will need a strong wireless signal of at least 80% for no drop out of picture or sound

I have my Desktop PC wired broadband to horizon
    Then all devices external hard drives etc connected to PC and using Windows Media Player streaming or Twonky play perfect

Thanks for the suggestion guys. I will give it a try when I go home.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Bobby_Kennedy

Thanks for the great info PaulBoland.

I have Twonky installed, and I have set it up to stream music, photos, and videos from my laptop wirelessly. Music and photos are fine, despite not being able to view and browse through folderss

However, whenever I play a video, be it any size from about 700M to 2GB, it freezes after about 10 minutes playing, or when I fast forward.

I do have though over 10,000 songs and photos each! And about 170 videos. maybe as the manual says, I should reduce the number of files in my library, say only stream videos.

Or else use a wired LAN connection, which would be a bit of a pain.

The issue youre decribing sounds more to do with the machine with twonky running then the horizon box. Also, In my experience with HTPC's, streaming video over wifi ultimatly leads to problems. Some folk do it sucessfully but Ive never been happy with the reliability of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Bobby_Kennedy

The issue youre decribing sounds more to do with the machine with twonky running then the horizon box. Also, In my experience with HTPC's, streaming video over wifi ultimatly leads to problems. Some folk do it sucessfully but Ive never been happy with the reliability of it.

Thanks for the info. Hmm.. interesting..I do have issues with my Wifi connection on my laptop where I have Twonky running dropping out every now and again, so you may be onto something there. I have tried changing the channel on the Horizon settings - but problem persists. Must try another channel.

Set itup wired and see if the problem persists, then mess about with wifi channels if it is actually a wifi issue.

Advertisement