Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

End of Summer warmth?

Options
  • 24-08-2013 3:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭

The models have flirted with us recently to no return but the models seem now to be pointing towards a phase of high pressure dominated weather towards next weekend.

I'll bank this day 10 chart.

Recm2401.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Timmyboy

I agree with you!

We are about to see a turn of phase from next Wednesday once the High Pressure gets in position just there to the West of us.

The summer is NOT over yet. This coolness at the moment is a temporary blip. (something in the back of my mind says to me that periods of coolness may be some way of predicting the onset of a genuine long duration of warmness but that's probably for a separate thread...).

Anyhow, I've been paying close attention the models.

I do hope that this is NOT the end of Summer Warmth but that in just a few days that we should be getting some decent warmness beginning.

Bring on the Indian Summer!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭partay pooper

Timmyboy wrote: »
    I agree with you!

We are about to see a turn of phase from next Wednesday once the High Pressure gets in position just there to the West of us.

The summer is NOT over yet. This coolness at the moment is a temporary blip. (something in the back of my mind says to me that periods of coolness may be some way of predicting the onset of a genuine long duration of warmness but that's probably for a separate thread...).

Anyhow, I've been paying close attention the models.

I do hope that this is NOT the end of Summer Warmth but that in just a few days that we should be getting some decent warmness beginning.

Bring on the Indian Summer!:D

Please please let it be so.....especially for Electric Picnic

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

With the schools back over the next two weeks we all know the traditional early September warm spell is a given!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

I'm off on me holiers on the 10th so I'd rather it be lashing rain and windy as shit then.

Bit of warmth beforehand would be nice though!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Unfortunately most of the models tonight have backed away from the warm/dry scenario for next weekend and it now looks much cooler with winds from the N/NW:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭emo72

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Unfortunately most of the models tonight have backed away from the warm/dry scenario for next weekend and it now looks much cooler with winds from the N/NW:(

god. i hate those forecasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

emo72 wrote: »
    god. i hate those forecasts.

Summer is over northwest airflow very stubborn in past 7 years apart from July 2013,

Think pressure will be high next week so mist will be light

East might even get sun

Nights to get cool too

Long range end of Nov and start of Dec will get snow

Mark my words

pauldry wrote: »
    Summer is over northwest airflow very stubborn in past 7 years apart from July 2013,

Your right - nothing kills the prospects of decent summer weather like a NWesterly in this part of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Your right - nothing kills the prospects of decent summer weather like a NWesterly in this part of the world.

Would you be able to give a link on the web where I could read more about this please? ( Just interested generally in our weather )Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

So is hot weather still promised next week?

(It's always next week, for the last month it seems!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

It's always sunny for at least the first week of September.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

According to ME this morning:

Further outlook : Early indications suggest that next week will be changeable and more unsettled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

It's starting to look like that dangling carrot of late summer/early autumn warmth that has been about 7 days away for the last fortnight is finally evaporating off the charts without having delivered the goods, in fact the ECM is showing a northerly plunge around September 6th, which will bring very cool/fresh feeling conditions if it transpires. This saddens me, such northwest winds have dominated the scene in recent years. I face a 5.5km cycle home from work each day on an almost perfectly straight line going NW. Oh how I rue those winds. I think we bid goodbye to summer in the next few days. You won't see me getting too excited about the onset of blustery conditions this early either. I like a dry warm and settled September, with an ever so gentle cooling trend, misty mornings, golden sunsets and slowly turning leaves. I fear things may get very unsettled soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭kkontour

DOCARCH wrote: »
    According to ME this morning:

Further outlook : Early indications suggest that next week will be changeable and more unsettled.
    But this is liable to change:D

Today in fairness, down here in the South (part of the country that's often not referenced by MET) was a really nice and pleasant day. Some mist this evening, but during the day it hit 20C and was nice and sunny at times with a mixture of blue skies and clouds.

The next few days don't appear to be all that bad.

Saturday looks like it could well be a repeat of today,
    i.e. Mostly Dry, Good spells of Sunshine and warm (to high of 19-21)!

Admittedly, it ain't no heatwave that was being hoped for by many but it's better than coldness and rain.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Glorious here in South Kildare.

A real pity some were so spoiled this summer with heat, no one seems to appreciate days like today now.

We'd have killed for more days like this in years gone by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

The GFS is again showing some lovely conditions for Sunday into Tuesday for much of the country. Will they transpire?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

John.Icy wrote: »
    Glorious here in South Kildare.

A real pity some were so spoiled this summer with heat, no one seems to appreciate days like today now.

We'd have killed for more days like this in years gone by.
    Ditto,in Arklow.
    Car thermometer driving up the main st earlier showed 25c and the Davis at home peaked at 24.3c
    I'd consider that warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭vickers209

whitebriar wrote: »
    Ditto,in Arklow.
    Car thermometer driving up the main st earlier showed 25c and the Davis at home peaked at 24.3c
    I'd consider that warm.

Agree

Car was 24c leavin rathnew hit 25c around beehive and dropped back to 24 at jack whites

• Registered Users Posts: 15,425 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Davis hit 25.5 today in glorious sun. Still very pleasant out there.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

Another beautiful day down here in the South West.

Killarney presently bathed in glowing sunshine from blue skies.
    Temperatures earlier at 20C.
    Excellent stuff.

Admittedly this is not hot weather but it is very fine indeed.

The Icelandic Met Office precipitation forecaster shows good (i.e. dry) conditions with inference for mostly sunny conditions on Saturday and Sunday through into Monday.

The Summer Warmth has not yet ended!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Got to 23.3c here today. Lovely late summers day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Still 17.6c here in Arklow.
    Tomorrow's cold front will sadly flush away the east coast warmth,things will still be pleasant but fresher by far.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

whitebriar wrote: »
    Still 17.6c here in Arklow.
    Tomorrow's cold front will sadly flush away the east coast warmth,things will still be pleasant but fresher by far.

18.1c in Sligo today n plenty of sun
    The real heats gone

Still no night below 12c in Sligo since June

That's fairly remarkable

Country got to 8c in co Sligo but town not below 12

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Funny how the warmth is back for the start of next week after looking like it was a non-runner.

Fantastic summer so far really, limited prolonged rainy periods and every day maxima nearing 20c. Perfect climate.

Funny how the warmth is back for the start of next week after looking like it was a non-runner.

Fantastic summer so far really, limited prolonged rainy periods and every day maxima nearing 20c. Perfect climate.

Yeah - the latest Fax charts have us under the 564 thickness line for the start of the week. Will feel very warm and muggy. Especcially in the East

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

I've fogotten what the Sun looks like. August has been so dank in Donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Weathering wrote: »
    I've fogotten what the Sun looks like. August has been so dank in Donegal

You know something odd!
    I had almost a month of clear blue skies and constant sunshine and I can hardly find a single photo of it.

And I'll routinely check my thermometer, rain gauges and often take snaps on the iPhone as a picture diary, not done in the good weather! ? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Mongarra

Last few days grand in South-east especially yesterday (Thursday) afternoon. Hope it lasts until Tuesday at least so we can have a full day's play in Malahide for the cricket V England.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

It can't be over already, Ken Ring said its going to be hot from the 28th on for about a week.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement