Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can someone explain download speed to me?

• 24-08-2013 5:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭

I recently upgraded to Horizon(although now feeling like a downgrade with all these problems I'm having), I'm meant to be getting 100Mbs, but I'm not getting even a quarter of that when I'm downloading. I get around 3-5Mb/s, which is great I guess, not a huge improvement from my 50mbs I had before. Anyways, I want to know why I am not getting 100Mb/s when downloading or why I wasn't getting 50Mb/s before? There must be something behind it? I'm very happy with what I have but still curios as to why they mention a download speed I never get. Throttling or false advertisement? I must not be understanding something.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,040 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

millgate1 wrote: »
    I recently upgraded to Horizon(although now feeling like a downgrade with all these problems I'm having), I'm meant to be getting 100Mbs, but I'm not getting even a quarter of that when I'm downloading. I get around 3-5Mb/s, which is great I guess, not a huge improvement from my 50mbs I had before. Anyways, I want to know why I am not getting 100Mb/s when downloading or why I wasn't getting 50Mb/s before? There must be something behind it? I'm very happy with what I have but still curios as to why they mention a download speed I never get. Throttling or false advertisement? I must not be understanding something.

It depends on what you're using to gauge your downloading? ISPs advertise 100Mb/s, which is 12.5MB/s. If your getting 5MB/s, it's not ideal but nowhere near as bad as you think. Definitely worth chasing up either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭millgate1

L'prof wrote: »
    It depends on what you're using to gauge your downloading? ISPs advertise 100Mb/s, which is 12.5MB/s. If your getting 5MB/s, it's not ideal but nowhere near as bad as you think. Definitely worth chasing up either way.

I'll give them a ring and see what's the story so. My mate has the same package and is getting 6-9Mb/s. Cheers man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭sdanseo

MB =/= Mb. Clarify.

If it's a wireless connection, expect less than 100Mb - WiFi connections, regardless of promised maximum speed, are almost slower, and whatever device you're using might well be capable only of 54Mbps or 21Mbps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭..Brian..

You have 50Mb/s broadband. 50 Megabit per second. There is 8 megabits in a megabyte (MB - the capital B is important). Your download speed is measured in megabytes (MB/s) so 50Mb/s broadband divided by 8MB = 6.25MB/s. Hence you get downloads speeds of around 5 or 6MB/s on a 50Mb line.

Hope that makes sense!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,040 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

..Brian.. wrote: »
    You have 50Mb/s broadband. 50 Megabit per second. There is 8 megabits in a megabyte (MB - the capital B is important). Your download speed is measured in megabytes (MB/s) so 50Mb/s broadband divided by 8MB = 6.25MB/s. Hence you get downloads speeds of around 5 or 6MB/s on a 50Mb line.

Hope that makes sense!

He said he was on 50Mb/s but he's on 100Mb/s now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭millgate1

..Brian.. wrote: »

Hope that makes sense!

Oh wow, really makes sense. I never noticed MB from Mb, thought they were both acronyms for Megabytes. Cheers man! Thanks to everyone else to help too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭raymix

1MB = 8Mb

In terms of storage, a proper term is MiB (Mibibyte)
    Examples:

my SDD has 64GiB storage with 520MB/s speed.
    I am downloading 700MiB AVI file at 1MB/s speed with 8Mb/s connection

Advertisement