Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radiography in Australia

Options
  • 24-08-2013 8:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,

I am a qualified radiographer and am currently thinking about travelling and working in Australia for a year. Does anyone know what paperwork and documents are needed before going? How easy is it to get jobs once out there and what is the pay like in general?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

I work as a Hardware Engineer in both Nuclear Medicine and Nuclear Diagnostic Imaging, mainly NMT using LINAC and Imaging CT, PET and MRI.

You would need AIR Accreditation to be able to practice that's for sure, think that costs $800.

For an experienced Radiographer working in Tomo around $80K-$95K, maybe general X-Ray $60k-$70K which is where most people start and progress to Tomo. Sono which I don't deal with is around $60K-$75K.

There seems to be plenty of jobs about, have met plenty of operators on 457 visas but to be honest have yet to meet any on a WHV.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭ifeelill

I would be hard to give you a good estimate on how much you would command in the market not knowing how many years experience you have and where you want to set up camp, these things are of course none of my business however, i can only give general advice and point you in the right direction so that you can unearth the information you want.

The open university gives the following advice [/QUOTE]

• Starting salary: $50,500 P/A
    • Senior salary: $100,000 P/A
    • Average salary: $73,500 P/A
    • * Wages will vary according to your level of skill, experience and employer
    • Employment level: 22,000 as of November 2011 (compared to 10,100 as of November 2000)
    • Average weekly hours: Average weekly hours worked for a full time Radiographer is 36.9 hours
    • Employment by region: The top three regions for employment as a Radiographer include:
      • NSW: 33.2%
      • QLD: 30.8%
      • VIC: 20.6%
    Employment trends

Employment for Radiographers has grown at a rate of 83% over the past 5 years and is expected to grow very strongly over the next 5 years.

Employment growth

Total employment growth over the past 5 years for male and female, employed part-time and full-time is 7,200

Gender (including full time and part time)

The percentage of males and females working full time and part time are:
    • Male Full Time: 32.3%
    • Male Part Time: 0.4%
    • Female Full Time: 44.0%
    • Female Part Time: 23.3%

http://www.open.edu.au/careers/healthcare-medical-pharmaceuticals/radiographers

Living in Victoria had this to say
    Occupation statistics 13,400 medical imaging professionals in Australia1

2,948 medical imaging professionals in Victoria (22%)1

Average gross weekly earnings AUD$1,6002

Average weekly hours 38.23
    Download the Australian Workforce and Productivity Agency's labour market report for medical imaging professionals (RTF, 133kb)

http://www.liveinvictoria.vic.gov.au/working-and-employment/occupations/medical-diagnostic-radiographer

and they go on to give advice on licensing and registration in the state of Victoria

Advertisement