Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horizon TV- Awful?

Options

Comments

I have had Horizon for well over a year and am very happy with it.
    I've had it for over a year too but your standards must be lower than mine because its a box of ****e:D

the lag is so bad.hold scroll and nothing happens.then it scrolls for 20 seconds out of controls.
    Pause a recording then press play.no sound?
    its the worst interface I've ever used and thats no exaggeration .

Less is more and the box is chocked full of crappy "features"

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Horrocksjm

Finally Some good news with the Horizon box. I am currently trialing the lastest update which downloaded yesterday.
    The good news.
    The lag between button presses is greatly reduced.
    You can now delete a whole series without deleting each episode on its own :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

SteM wrote: »
    Sorry, this is not correct. There is a big difference between an inability to use a product and frustration on the users part with a poorly designed product. The Horizon system is a poorly designed user interface, pure and simple. Maybe they'll fix it in the future but that doesn't change the fact that is is poor on release.

Yeah, I don't dispute the UI is not perfect, the "inability to use" comment was spurred by another poster in the 'August 2014 update' thread if you want to have a look, but I would 100% accept that the menu is not very intuitive.

It's not. It has its problems but people are just far more likely to come on the internet and complain than they are to express satisfaction. Some of the "complaints" are just users' inability to use the product, not a fault of the product itself.

If you're reasonably tech-savvy and can handle a new system, go for it. If you're happy with Sky, stick with it.

I'd repeat my advice to try it out, either in-store or in a friend's house, and then decide. I would never sign up to a new contract purely on the basis of what you've read on the Net.

The potential is there for it to deliver everything it promises but at the minute it's just a poor piece of tech. The issues affecting it are far too numerous to cound and over the past week no recording on our box has recorded more than 30 minutes of a recording. UPC's advice, "factory reset". Great, I get to reset the box for the fourth time in three weeks. The new update does seem to offer a few improvments but it has been mnetioned by a few people that those pesky corrupted recordings which take up space can't be deleted using the series delete. I went through our box and added up all the recordings and there is 18% of the space taken up by them, going to have to do another complete factory reset and lose all the things I had saved.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭eam77

I have 4 more days left with horizon contract and then I will return to sky and wit com. Really wanted upc to be great but just got totally peed off with the horizon box. Too many glitches with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

eam77 wrote: »
    I have 4 more days left with horizon contract and then I will return to sky and wit com. Really wanted upc to be great but just got totally peed off with the horizon box. Too many glitches with it

are you on the new software version?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭eam77

I'm not wabbit ears. It would want to be a total revamp for me to change my mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Dear Sky,
    Thanks for taking me back, we both know I made a terrible mistake.

Yours sincerely,
    Roger.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Eamo71

skybots in disguise...

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Bround

Does the software update automatically or do you need to update it manually? Ie: How do you know if you're using the latest software version?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

Bround wrote: »
    Does the software update automatically or do you need to update it manually? Ie: How do you know if you're using the latest software version?

If you got an email to be part of the trial you would have received an email telling you its been pushed to your horizon box
    You would then need to manual select an update check and it would tell you if an update has been found and ask you do you want to install

If you were not asked if you wanted to be part of the trial you wont be getting this update

The new update is a trial update with select UPC Customers who were asked to be part of a trial to test a new firmware update

When that trial is over and results of the test are looked at and any unexpected problems found are corrected if possible

They will then release the update as a general update to rest of UPC Horizon Customers

So far the problems found are minor and should be corrected
    Overall this update has improved the Horizon and introduced important features that were missing
    The improvements I have noticed so far are good especially with the guide and other areas

When its released to the public it will be a good update

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

paulboland wrote: »
    When that trial is over and results of the test are looked at and any unexpected problems found are corrected if possible

You were right to include the qualifier 'if possible' because they forgot to include series delete on the first release of the Horizon s/w and they've only now added it as a feature, almost a year later.

coylemj wrote: »
    You were right to include the qualifier 'if possible' because they forgot to include series delete on the first release of the Horizon s/w and they've only now added it as a feature, almost a year later.

And don't forget that many of the issues which people have with the box were discovered during the original testing of the box and UPC simply ignored them and released the box as is.

Recorded 15 Minutes Last night as my DVD of it disappeared awhile back and I've been curious to see if it's ad bad as I remember. Surprisingly enough the entire film recorded but within the first 5 minutes I've had to stop it three times due to the sound going and fast forward through two sections where the screen went pixilated and green and froze.

I wonder if UPC will recommend that I simply download the film this time when I ring up.

After about 15 minutes of trying to watch 15 Minutes I just gave up. Sound dropped every minute or so, picture kept freezing and it was like streaming a film on dial up. UPC really haven't a clue when it comes to TV, the Horizon box isn't flawed, it's fundamentally broken. When I rang up to complain I was told that the issues were with whomever broadcast the film and nothing at all to do with UPC.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I recorded University Challenge last night and when playing it later, the picture froze for about 20 seconds while the sound rumbled on, that could not have been a fault with the broadcaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

After about 15 minutes of trying to watch 15 Minutes I just gave up. Sound dropped every minute or so, picture kept freezing and it was like streaming a film on dial up. UPC really haven't a clue when it comes to TV, the Horizon box isn't flawed, it's fundamentally broken. When I rang up to complain I was told that the issues were with whomever broadcast the film and nothing at all to do with UPC.

Sounds like the box you have is f*&ked. Either that or the wiring into your place has problems.

Horizon has issues but yours sound completely off the wall.

I'd keep on at them. I had reception issues in my gaff and reported it at xmas just gone. Broadband kept cutting in and out and picture would freeze, both issues only happened during bad weather.

Engineer came out checked the house wiring said all ok. Then sent a separate team the following day to check the outside wiring, again all ok. but noticed a cable hanging from a house a few doors down, need a different team for that.

5 months later and numerous phone calls, each time told the person who owns the house still hadnt given permission to repair the cable. The problem had died down so I stopped calling until it happened again 3 weeks ago. Called again to be told they would send another engineer to check the house. This guy arrived said the signal was the worst he had ever seen! Investigated and the cable running to my living room had three kinks in it on the roof, replaced the cable all perfect ever since. Nothing to do with the cable on the neighbours house.

It really depends on the engineer they send to. He even left me his mobile number and told me to call him directly if any problems in the next few weeks.

coylemj wrote: »
    I recorded University Challenge last night and when playing it later, the picture froze for about 20 seconds while the sound rumbled on, that could not have been a fault with the broadcaster.

If it was a one off then it could very well be a problem with the broadcast but we've had the issue a number of times and when I asked a friend who watched it last night on UPC he told me he had no issues.
    pippip wrote: »
    Sounds like the box you have is f*&ked. Either that or the wiring into your place has problems.

Horizon has issues but yours sound completely off the wall.

I'd keep on at them. I had reception issues in my gaff and reported it at xmas just gone. Broadband kept cutting in and out and picture would freeze, both issues only happened during bad weather.

Engineer came out checked the house wiring said all ok. Then sent a separate team the following day to check the outside wiring, again all ok. but noticed a cable hanging from a house a few doors down, need a different team for that.

5 months later and numerous phone calls, each time told the person who owns the house still hadnt given permission to repair the cable. The problem had died down so I stopped calling until it happened again 3 weeks ago. Called again to be told they would send another engineer to check the house. This guy arrived said the signal was the worst he had ever seen! Investigated and the cable running to my living room had three kinks in it on the roof, replaced the cable all perfect ever since. Nothing to do with the cable on the neighbours house.

It really depends on the engineer they send to. He even left me his mobile number and told me to call him directly if any problems in the next few weeks.

Borrowed a friends box for a few days and tried it and still had many of the same issues. Awhile back a UPC technician was in the neighbourhood and I asked him to take a look at my box and set up. He said that he could find no issues but that the Horizion boxes were "the cheapest crap that UPC could source" and that many of the issues I told him about "were pretty common." He said that at best UPC will send out a new box but the issues will most likely remain.

2 more recordings stopped early, one after 17 minutes and the other after 15. UPC have finally agreed to send out a new box though before then there's a few things I need to watch on the old one

Has anyone noticed that when connected to the box on your phone that there are ads and pop ups every time you look at your email? I've noticed it on my phone and when my Dad was up yesterday commented on it too. Back home they have Eircom and it's never an issue and seems to be an issue with Horizion. I asked a number of friends who have Horizion and they all said that they experienced the same. One friend said that he had found it odd since switching to Eircom for internet that there were never ads on his phone when he accessed email.

• Advertisement

Has anyone noticed that when connected to the box on your phone that there are ads and pop ups every time you look at your email? I've noticed it on my phone and when my Dad was up yesterday commented on it too. Back home they have Eircom and it's never an issue and seems to be an issue with Horizion. I asked a number of friends who have Horizion and they all said that they experienced the same. One friend said that he had found it odd since switching to Eircom for internet that there were never ads on his phone when he accessed email.

Surely the presence or absence of ads in email would depend on your email provider? Nah, you can't blame this one on UPC I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

I have never ever had that happen with my phone
    My iPhone 5s is connected using the Wifi connection from Horizon when I'm home

What type of phone and email are you using

I have an iPhone and I have never experienced any of the problem you posted not ever and I had Horizon from the trial stage last year and I'm also testing the latest trial firmware

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

Anyone have anything positive to say
    about Horizon????

With UPC and would like to upgrade - however I am only reading negative stuff about it so very reluctant.

The idea of quicker broadband and being able to record 4 shows at once is great but this doesn't seem to be the reality?

Surely the presence or absence of ads in email would depend on your email provider? Nah, you can't blame this one on UPC I think.

The thing is that it never occurs when using Eircom or Sky internet but seems to be consistently there when I'm connected to the Horizion box. I always assumed it was something to do with the phone or email provider but talking with people they too have commented that it more noticeable when connected to the Horizion box.

about Horizon????

With UPC and would like to upgrade - however I am only reading negative stuff about it so very reluctant.

The idea of quicker broadband and being able to record 4 shows at once is great but this doesn't seem to be the reality?

The broadband is only quicker when connected with an ethernet cable, wifi speeds and coverage on the Horizion box are very poor. The recording 4 things at once is great in theory but it will rarely be used and with many people having to reset their boxes every few weeks it's best not to get attached to anything you have recorded on the box.

about Horizon????

I have lots of positive experience with Horizon. It is a quantum leap up from the old UPC boxes.

I have lots of positive experience with Horizon. It is a quantum leap up from the old UPC boxes.

If you have any of the previous boxes then its well worth upgrading. Horizon is crap but somewhat of an improvement over past boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,794 ✭✭✭✭L1011

No, you've other issues there. If you're getting random popups, ever, the device you're using is riddled.

MYOB wrote: »
    No, you've other issues there. If you're getting random popups, ever, the device you're using is riddled.

It's not though, I did a factory reset on one phone and it still persisted. My dad's phone has no issue at home but when he comes here it starts and ends once he gets Home. As I said it may not be an issue with the box but from talking with people quite a few have mentioned it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

If you have any of the previous boxes then its well worth upgrading. Horizon is crap but somewhat of an improvement over past boxes.

Oh really??

My box is about 3 years - wifi is super and no problems recording anything.

Can't see point of switching if people are having issues with basics like wifi and recording!

• Advertisement

Oh really??

My box is about 3 years - wifi is super and no problems recording anything.

Can't see point of switching if people are having issues with basics like wifi and recording!

My computer was in the room beside the box and I had to run Ethernet cables between the rooms in order to get a consistent connection. The WiFi connection is constantly dropping and when I spoke to UPC about it they told me if I want happy I could but a router.

I sat down this afternoon to watch Four for Texas which I'd recorded a few weeks back add it was the HD version. Around the 45 minute mark the picture went black and the audio continued. Ended up digging out my DVD copy. UPC have finally agreed to send out a new box, only took a few hundred complaints and that's of taking them to the small claims court.

Advertisement