Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horizon TV- Awful?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

paulboland wrote: »
    It has to be your phone or email provider it cant be anything to do with Horizon as no other UPC customer with Horizon in any threads on boards.ie has this problem
    Stellar scientific deduction there! It hasn't happened to me.. therefore the problem doesn't exist. Now stop bad mouthing my precious Horizon box!
    Edit, Just to say what you are saying makes absolutely no sense here. Really, Absolutely none, at all, Not even a little bit
    Care to explain why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Giruilla wrote: »
    Care to explain why?

Edit: f**k it, I don't care any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Exactly, The ISP has zero influence on the number of ads. depending on how much or litttle they advertise their Subnet distribution ads may well be more accuratly targeted.

The idea that there are more or less adverts depending on provider is like saying I see more adverts on my drive to work because I am in a Ford Mondeo, when I was driving my 318 BMW there was nowhere near as many roadside adverts.

In July and August they tested data sent to about 50,000 computers and discovered that a small number of Internet service providers (ISPs) were injecting ads into Web pages on their networks.
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/144682/article.html

Now I'm not saying the problem Darko is seeing is definitely UPC 'injecting ads'.. but the way you two dismissed it out of hand in such manner and thanked each others posts was cringey in the extreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

LOL, yea, its a techie circle jerk around here, highfiving each other when we explaing really simple concepts to the great unwashed. :)

In the attached article it refers to ISP's changing the adverts to their own so, back to my drive to work analagy, It woudl be a case of UPC replacing some of the roadside ad's with UPC adverts on the sly.

The isp can do this, yes, but as already said, they cant increase an apps ability to display adverts or add adverts to a website that doesnt already subscribe to an advertising service like google adverts etc..

What is more likly is that if you are on a UPC cponenction google will know this and target UPC adverts to you. This isnt more ads, its just target ads and the fact that Darko thinks its more ads is excactly targeting adverts working as intended..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

My friend came over to mine after and he connected to the Horizon wifi on his phone and he had ads on his email app. Once he was home and reconnected to his Eircom wifi the ads were no longer present.

What app was he using?

In the attached article it refers to ISP's changing the adverts to their own so, back to my drive to work analagy, It woudl be a case of UPC replacing some of the roadside ad's with UPC adverts on the sly.

The isp can do this, yes, but as already said, they cant increase an apps ability to display adverts or add adverts to a website that doesnt already subscribe to an advertising service like google adverts etc..

What is more likly is that if you are on a UPC cponenction google will know this and target UPC adverts to you. This isnt more ads, its just target ads and the fact that Darko thinks its more ads is excactly targeting adverts working as intended..

The article actually says adverts were being inserted into webpages. In some other cases, the ads were merely changed.

There was a case in america of an ISP inserting a banner ad into apple.com
    http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013/04/how-a-banner-ad-for-hs-ok/

LOL, yea, its a techie circle jerk around here, highfiving each other when we explaing really simple concepts to the great unwashed. :)

I know how it works, I have worked in it and it's not UPC ads that are popping up, it's banner ads and ads for a variety of things including a number for Sky TV. I know how target adverts work and it's not the case here. The ads are only present when I'm connected to my UPC box. If I connect to any other provider in a friends house they are no longer present.
    RainyDay wrote: »
    What app was he using?

He was using the iphone app. He has no ads when connected at home but ads when he connects here.

And just to add, I rang up UPC and the girl I was talking to commented that I wasn't the first to ring in with a question regarding the issue. It may not have anything to do with UPC but it's incredibly strange that anyone who connects to the Horizon box here sees ads pop up which disappear when they connect to their own non UPC wifi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Stellar scientific deduction there! It hasn't happened to me.. therefore the problem doesn't exist. Now stop bad mouthing my precious Horizon box!...

Actually I think his point wasn't that it hasn't happened to him, but in a place where there's loads of complaints there's none about this. As hes posted complaints/problems about other aspects of the box. You're misrepresenting his position considerably.

The problem with this discussion is that is extremely vague and requests for details have got nowhere. So its pointless continuing with it.

Its easy to test, if you a VPN to another machine on another provider you can browser the same sites on both machines. See if you get served the same ads or no ads. Different ads may be normal depending on your routing. No ads would depend on a range of other factors. But without details it could be anything causing it.

Not being able to hit mainstream sites like gmail/google on a horizon box means its not working. Simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

.. was his input on a previous page.

You must not read these threads on a regular basis and other threads about horizon as if you did you would have seen lots of post from me which point out the good and bad aspects of horizon

Please take time to read what the reply to a particular post is about as you have not on this occasion

• Advertisement

I know how it works, I have worked in it and it's not UPC ads that are popping up, it's banner ads and ads for a variety of things including a number for Sky TV. I know how target adverts work and it's not the case here. The ads are only present when I'm connected to my UPC box. If I connect to any other provider in a friends house they are no longer present.

He was using the iphone app. He has no ads when connected at home but ads when he connects here.

And just to add, I rang up UPC and the girl I was talking to commented that I wasn't the first to ring in with a question regarding the issue. It may not have anything to do with UPC but it's incredibly strange that anyone who connects to the Horizon box here sees ads pop up which disappear when they connect to their own non UPC wifi.

What iPhone App you talking about
    My iPhone Email App that's part of the iPhone never has anything you have described
    The built in iPhone Email App from Apple don't have any of the problems you have posted when connected to Horizon Wi-Fi

There are many apps you need to be very exact as to app in use

What the name of the iPhone App in use and what is the name of the company who created the app and what version of the App in use and what type of emails is it happening with is it with all emails or just from one sender and is the email a spam email

You must not read these threads on a regular basis and other threads about horizon as if you did you would have seen lots of post from me which point out the good and bad aspects of horizon

Please take time to read what the reply to a particular post is about as you have not on this occasion

I quoted the wrong person. 3 or 4 people were completely dismissing someone else's post based on them not having experienced the problem themselves or believing it could exist.

What iPhone App you talking about
    My iPhone Email App that's part of the iPhone never has anything you have described
    The built in iPhone Email App from Apple don't have any of the problems you have posted when connected to Horizon Wi-Fi

There are many apps you need to be very exact as to app in use

What the name of the iPhone App in use and what is the name of the company who created the app and what version of the App in use and what type of emails is it happening with is it with all emails or just from one sender and is the email a spam email

The built in app, the one that called mail where you can add in all your accounts. The issue is only present when connected to a Horizion wifi signal, it isn't an issue when connected to any competitor ISP that I've tried.

I quoted the wrong person. 3 or 4 people were completely dismissing someone else's post based on them not having experienced the problem themselves or believing it could exist.

I think you need to take the comments in context of the whole thread, not a snippet which might have been one of a number of replies on the same issue.

It maybe a rare issue. But the details given are so vague as to be useless. There is a fundamental technical difference between using a website and apps, and which app. In terms of delivering adverts to a device.

You could be pulling email in as txt and stripping out HTML and photos by default in an email client, that you can't in say chrome. As Google themselves are controlling the ads in chrome that they can't in a email client.

The built in app, the one that called mail where you can add in all your accounts. The issue is only present when connected to a Horizion wifi signal, it isn't an issue when connected to any competitor ISP that I've tried.

I use the following Email providers with the built in iPhone Email App
    iCloud
    Eircom
    Gmail
    Yahoo
    Hotmail
    I don't ever get any pop ups in any of my emails with the above email accounts when connected to Horizon Wi-Fi using my built in iPhone Email App

? Answer
    1)What email client is been used on the built in iPhone Email App
    2)What emails it happening with
    3)Is it only from one sender or multiple senders
    4)Is it Spam/Junk email

You need to be very exact in providing the above information

I use the following Email providers with the built in iPhone Email App
    iCloud
    Eircom
    Gmail
    Yahoo
    Hotmail
    I don't ever get any pop ups in any of my emails with the above email accounts when connected to Horizon Wi-Fi using my built in iPhone Email App

? Answer
    1)What email client is been used on the built in iPhone Email App
    2)What emails it happening with
    3)Is it only from one sender or multiple senders
    4)Is it Spam/Junk email

You need to be very exact in providing the above information

It's through all providers and all emails, be that spam and non-spam alike. When I rang UPC they said that I wasn't the first to ring up about the issue and that an engineer would look into it.

It's through all providers and all emails, be that spam and non-spam alike. When I rang UPC they said that I wasn't the first to ring up about the issue and that an engineer would look into it.

I have been using the Horizon Wi-Fi with all my devices Phones/Laptops/Desktop PCs from May 2013
    I have never ever experienced any pop ups with any of my emails using on any of my devices

Why don't you post your issue in the UPC Thread as I don't see it there
    If others have had that problem they would have mentioned it

I have been using the Horizon Wi-Fi with all my devices from May 2013
    I have never ever experienced any pop ups with any of my emails

Why don't you post your issue in the UPC Thread as I don't see it there
    If others have had that problem they would have mentioned it

Great you don't have it so obviously it doesn't occur and as no one else has experienced it and posted about it, it must all be in my head. UPC have over a million customers in Ireland and only a tiny percentage post in the UPC forum so just because something isn't mentioned here does not mean that others have not experienced it.

It makes absolutely no sense that ads would appear when using both a webmail facility and a particular app.

We're not getting the full story or the accurate story here.

RainyDay wrote: »
    It makes absolutely no sense that ads would appear when using both a webmail facility and a particular app.

We're not getting the full story or the accurate story here.

It's the full and accurate story. I've tested a number of phones on it and it's the same on all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Is it even possible to get a pop-up in the built-in iPhone email app? Could you take a screenshot for us?

Is it even possible to get a pop-up in the built-in iPhone email app? Could you take a screenshot for us?

Exactly I don't think talking about it is helping. As one person can assume the terms email, apps, add, mean the same things when it may not to other people.

A picture tells a thousand words.

He maybe talking about text ads, html graphics etc. Because hes said he using a browser then switched to say hes using the inbuilt app. Who knows what exactly is being used.

beauf wrote: »
    He maybe talking about text ads, html graphics etc. Because hes said he using a browser then switched to say hes using the inbuilt app. Who knows what exactly is being used.

if you read it I said that I access mail through my phone but that the ads were still present when my friend tried it using the mail app on his iphone.

That's a vague ambiguous answer but you don't realise it is. Screengrab is what's needed at this point.

Send yourself a test email. Then post a screen grab of the ads with the details blanked out.

Plugged out the Horizon box and replaced it with a different router and the ads have disappeared. Was on the phone with UPC afterward and the person I spoke to mentioned that they had the same issue at home and ended up replacing the box and the issues stopped.

Plugged out the Horizon box and replaced it with a different router and the ads have disappeared. Was on the phone with UPC afterward and the person I spoke to mentioned that they had the same issue at home and ended up replacing the box and the issues stopped.

Apparently you've managed to get internet without a modem.

What router did you replace it with?

I just used the old UPC one. Will do till I get my replacement horizon box

• Advertisement

I don't how you did that, UPC enable the horizon box and modems per account. You'd have to ring them up first to turn one off and enable the others. That assuming you have the new modem previous to the horizon as the old one doesn't work with the new high speed packages. If they were inserting ads they'd be doing it from the server not the set top box, so it wouldn't matter if you used a modem or the horizon box.

Its not possible to investigate further without screengrabs.

Advertisement