Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horizon TV- Awful?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

If you did what you say you're doing darko then you're not using the horizon or the UPC modem at all for internet but are in fact on your phones 3G connection. That would also explain your internet speeds.

Id be very interested to see a screengrab of your speedtest results!!!

If you did what you say you're doing darko then you're not using the horizon or the UPC modem at all for internet but are in fact on your phones 3G connection. That would also explain your internet speeds.

Id be very interested to see a screengrab of your speedtest results!!!

No I'm connected to my UPC and not the phones 3G. Getting the older router working took all of a few seconds and a phone call to UPC whom have agreed to send out a new Horizion box asap as they agree that the one I have simply is not working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I've never seen anyone back track as much. Or fail to produce any facts or pictures to verify, well anything at all.

beauf wrote: »
    I've never seen anyone back track as much. Or fail to produce any facts or pictures to verify, well anything at all.

Where have I backtracked? I also don't see why I need to produce pictures here to satisfy you or anyone else. That UPC have agreed to sent out a replacement box would imply that there are issues with the one I have. UPC are investigating the issue with ads and have told me that they hope to find a solution.

According to this thread UPC are replacing your box because of failed recordings issues, You only mentioned the phone thing two days later...

Post on 14th

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91722943&postcount=380

Post on 16th

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91755942&postcount=381

• Advertisement

According to this thread UPC are replacing your box because of failed recordings issues, You only mentioned the phone thing two days later...

Post on 14th

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91722943&postcount=380

Post on 16th

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91755942&postcount=381

Again what's the point, yes UPC offered a replacement box on the 14th on boards and today when I rang up UPC they had no record of it, so on the phone they offered to send out a replacement box asap.

paulboland wrote: »
    I just got the trial Firmware update
    ....  [....Favourites Management
    You can now choose to only view your favourite channels when you open your TV Guide by selecting ‘Favourites Mode’ in the settings menu.
    You can add or remove channels as you wish and you can even choose the order of preference in which they appear. If you want to return to normal view, all you have to do is ‘Disable Favourite Mode’ in the same menu.

Horizon Setting Preferences
    Favourites Channels
    Set Favourites
    Select what favourite channels you want
    When finished click confirm

Renumber Favourites
    You can arrange what order the channels are listed
    When finished click confirm

Note

Enable or disable favourite mode

Watching any channel pressing ok
    You will see remove or from favourites or add to favourites
    Enable or disable favourite mode

Note
    If change channel by entering for example 101 using the remote it disables favourite mode
    You will have to enable favourites mode again if you want to use it

That favorites thing sounds like a PITA.

Shouldn't have to set up all the channels as favorites simply because you can't reorder the stations or remove some. Its going from A to B via Z.

The rest of it sounds like stuff they should have had 2yrs ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

That favorites thing sounds like a PITA.

Shouldn't have to set up all the channels as favorites simply because you can't reorder the stations or remove some. Its going from A to B via Z.

The rest of it sounds like stuff they should have had 2yrs ago.

You don't have to set up all the channels as favourites
    You choose what favourites you want
    You then if you want rearrange the order they are listed to what you want them to be

The TV Guide will always be as it is that's seperate from your favourites you choose

It's a handy feature rearrange the way your favourites are listed giving you control of what order they are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

paulboland wrote: »
    You don't have to set up all the channels as favourites
    You choose what favourites you want
    You then if you want rearrange the order they are listed to what you want them to be

The TV Guide will always be as it is that's seperate from your favourites you choose

It's a handy feature rearrange the way your favourites are listed giving you control of what order they are

That is a handy feature. Any chance it provides for different people in the house to have different favourites?

RainyDay wrote: »
    That is a handy feature. Any chance it provides for different people in the house to have different favourites?

no, only one favourite list

• Advertisement

no, only one favourite list

Bummer. Somebody should explain to UPC that most houses have more than one person living there.

The way I set it up was I set up as favourites all the HD channels that are buried way down the list.

I'm not saying the additional feature aren't welcome but I've seen it done a lot simpler even on TV's

The new update is rolling out to people outside Dublin today and to us Dubs from next Tuesday. Looking forward to hearing reports.

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057272601

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I got the new features email today and I live in Dublin. It said it was all updated last night on my box

So the new box arrived today and initially things seemed good, it recorded the first film I set it up to record but the second failed after just over an hour. Even worse is the fact that no device can connect to it through wifi. Two factory resets this evening and still nothing works unless it's connected by Ethernet cable.

Synode wrote: »
    I got the new features email today and I live in Dublin. It said it was all updated last night on my box

Did you check that you got the features on the box?

I got the email about the trial but didn't get around to doing anything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

The way I set it up was I set up as favourites all the HD channels that are buried way down the list.

I'm not saying the additional feature aren't welcome but I've seen it done a lot simpler even on TV's

I will ask them for a future update if they will add to the to the TV Guide menu option have HD Channels View

New box we got is just as poor as the original one, recording stopping mid way through, many others not recording anything at all and wifi so poor that even UPC couldn't get a device to connect to it so they sent out a separate router.

Delete series working fine here.

That used to be a major pain. Someone would record something decide not to watch. Now one click and its gone. Great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Just installed my Horizon box upgrading from previous UPC box. I know its probably mentioned on the thread earlier, but I don't have time to read it all. Just one question:
    Is the flicking through channels and seeing "whats on now" and "next" and "in the next few hours on a channel" truly awful compared to previous or is there something I can set up or have set up wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,792 ✭✭✭✭L1011

robbiezero wrote: »
    Just one question:
    Is the flicking through channels and seeing "whats on now" and "next" and "in the next few hours on a channel" truly awful compared to previous or is there something I can set up or have set up wrong?

Its awful.

I've been tempted to go upstairs and use the old Thomson box to flick around and then come back down to watch whatever I've found (if its HD, I'll stay upstairs otherwise...)

another option is to browse the guide on the Ipad/android and change the channel from there!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭robbiezero

MYOB wrote: »
    Its awful.

I've been tempted to go upstairs and use the old Thomson box to flick around and then come back down to watch whatever I've found (if its HD, I'll stay upstairs otherwise...)

I'd definitely switch back if I could. Very disappointing.

another option is to browse the guide on the Ipad/android and change the channel from there!

Is this in the UPC Horizon app? or another guide?

horzon go app

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

robbiezero wrote: »
    The channel flicking interface is absolutely f##king brutal. This craps heap is unusable. Is there anyway I can switch back or get rid of it?

Why not give UPC a call and ask them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Has the time and channel details on the front of the box gone for people? Haven't seen it since the upgrade, always handy to have as it told me the time and channel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Just got this today and im happy enough with it, just one annoying problem and that's when very bright colours come on the screen it can get quite pixelated, usually and most noticeable with white background colors but it happens with other colors too. Gives off a kind of glow.

Anyone ever see anything like this?

Just got this today and im happy enough with it, just one annoying problem and that's when very bright colours come on the screen it can get quite pixelated, usually and most noticeable with white background colors but it happens with other colors too. Gives off a kind of glow.

Anyone ever see anything like this?

Yeah have something similar happening every now and again as well as the sound dropping :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭IrlMonk

I compalined about the Horizon for long enough......
    Changed to Sky and it is a thousand times better.
    Absolutely crap GUI from UPC.
    Check the Sky GUI if you get a chance and you will see what i mean.

Advertisement