Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Curious - do you bruise after getting tattooed?

Options
  • 24-08-2013 9:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 34

I bruise really easily and usually bruise after getting tattooed. It's not something I'm concerned about, at all, I believe it's from the wiping between ink dips rather than the actual tattooing itself and that's essential so the artist can see what they are doing!

The more I've talked to people the more common bruising seems to be.

Did you bruise?
    All the time? Occasionally? One particular area?
    Dark painful bruises or light yellow ones you'd not notice had you not seen them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Depends on area and type of work. Line work, usually no. Heavy shading, more likely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

No matter what I'm getting done, I bruise like a peach. Always dark, painful bruises that hurt for a week or so.

It's worth it! :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I've never noticed myself being bruised, and it's never felt like I have, so I guess not.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Angron wrote: »
    I've never noticed myself being bruised, and it's never felt like I have, so I guess not.

Same here to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Only bruised on the bicep.
    Most people do aswell.
    It wasn't heavily bruised just slightly

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Very badly bruised and tender on my calf, not so much on my forearm, foot, back or wrist.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Only bruised the once and really badly it was on my ribs and a 6 hours sitting might have played a part.

Had other sittings on my ribs not quite as long and never bruised.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Only got slightly bruised once after the one on my shoulder/collarbone. Wasn't too bad. I think it'd depend on the location really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

I would say location is a big factor, I've had some raising sometimes, but never a bruise.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 RuggieMuffin

Thanks for the feedback. My back didn't bruise but hips, leg, wrists and arm bruise everytime - usually twice the size of the tattooed area and never really painful but uncomfortable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Papillon!

God I've never bruised at all. I didn't even think that was possible :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Papillon! wrote: »
    God I've never bruised at all. I didn't even think that was possible :(

The potential's there alright, especially once you consider that sometimes getting inked is like getting about a thousand mimi-punches

• Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

I've only been tattooed on my ribs but there was no bruising, but kinda felt like it was bruised for a day or two after

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Boulger

Collar bone bruised up after getting it lined, very sore!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Only bruising I had was 5 fingerprints where the artist was holding my upper arm steady. Didn't realise he was holding it so tight until the next day. Haha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 S Ryan

My chest bruised slightly after getting it done, only slight yellow bruising though.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I'd say *MOST* people get that yellowish bruising after being tattooed, but it's mostly masked by the redness that goes along with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

I get the yellowish bruising but it doesn't show for 5-7 days after. After the worst of the redness has gone.
    I am usually swollen the night of the tattoo so I suppose it's only natural that bruising would follow.
    The worst part of the tattoo healing process, for me, is the hair growing back and the little spots that accompany that. I think that may be down to the fact that the tattooist would shave dry with a disposable razor. My most recent one I shaved my chest myself with my standard shaving products and the healing process was a bit better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I don't get bruising, I get full blown edema. But then I usually get 8+ hours in a sit, and I have terrible circulation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭innad

I've never noticed bruising, although it could well be masked by the ink. I do swell like a mofo though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Didn't bruise on my side but that took 45 minutes with minimal shading. My bicep took over two hours and was in colour, I bruised A LOT. It was also several swollen. I've heard a lot of people say similar about bicep tattoos though so I think it's more prone to it.

Advertisement