Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A USB hub will not function if it is more than 5 hub roots away from the root port

Options
  • 24-08-2013 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi, I am not very techy but the above message appeared when we tried to connect a camera to a windows 7 computer.
    We usually connect the camera to a windows xp using an 85 ft usb cable and recently we connected the camera via a 2ft usb cable first to the windows 7 and it works fine but when we connected it to the 85ft usb cable - this message shows up 'A USB hub will not function if it is more than 5 hub roots away from the root port'.
    Does anyone know what it means? And what can be done to resolve it?
    Thanking you in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

85 feet USB cable ?!! Where did you manage to get that ? USB cables can't be any longer than 5 meters for USB 2 though you can use active hubs to extend that that but 85 feet ?!

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

^^ Was going to post about the 5 metres.. Done.
    caddy2 wrote: »
    Hi, I am not very techy but the above message appeared when we tried to connect a camera to a windows 7 computer.
    We usually connect the camera to a windows xp using an 85 ft usb cable and recently we connected the camera via a 2ft usb cable first to the windows 7 and it works fine but when we connected it to the 85ft usb cable - this message shows up 'A USB hub will not function if it is more than 5 hub roots away from the root port'.
    Does anyone know what it means? And what can be done to resolve it?
    Thanking you in advance

Haven't any experience with that message myself, but at a guess i'd say the computer is getting a signal, just a very weak one.

Maybe there's a kink in the cable? Does the cable work on any other PC?

Here is a few things to try.
    http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/complete_guide_troubleshooting_usb_problems

Better info here about how best to achieve 85ft. - http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/10-things/10-things-you-should-know-about-usb-20-and-30/

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭caddy2

Hi guys, appreciate you both taking time to touch base. yes the cable is working fine with the xp computer. the 85ft cable is the only thing that isnt working for the win 7 laptop but everything else is working on both laptops. as Zener mentioned - that 'USB cables can't be any longer than 5 meters for USB 2 though you can use active hubs to extend that' it is possible that the cables are connected as there are plastic casings every so often along the cable - maybe every 5 metres ( i dont have it with me at the moment) so if this is the problem - is there a way of sorting it
    Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 83,309 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

For extended length cables such as yours those repeaters refresh the signal throughput.

It's quite possible that the setup is recognizing the repeats as hubs.

can you explain a bit more about why you have your setup? We might be able to suggest a better alternative solution which is kinda dependent on what youre trying to accoplish

Overheal, that makes a lot of sense. but why does the xp system accept it and not the win 7 system? is there a way to over ride the system recognising the hubs as repeats? we have a camera on the xp system for the last 5 -6 years. there are methods like wifi etc which are advanced but it would be great if we could get the usb cable system working

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

caddy2 wrote: »
    Overheal, that makes a lot of sense. but why does the xp system accept it and not the win 7 system? is there a way to over ride the system recognising the hubs as repeats? we have a camera on the xp system for the last 5 -6 years. there are methods like wifi etc which are advanced but it would be great if we could get the usb cable system working

You could try this, and see if it makes any difference, but i don't know if it would.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IE/windows7/install-and-use-windows-xp-mode-in-windows-7

Allyall, that looks very interesting and i can select it to the program i am having the difficulty with, it is definitely worth a go, it says i need to test compatibility settings for the program, so i need the cable which i will try when i get the cable, would have been great to check it now but great to know it exists and def will be doing it later
    Thank you for that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

I presume the Windows 7 machine is a newer one than the XP one ? Could it be the USB controller on the MB that's the problem ? If there are vanilla USB2 ports try those. They're usually black internally where USB3 will be blue. Worth a try ?

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

surely a camera that connects through ethernet or wireless would be a much better option

Advertisement