Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new cafe beside the dart station ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

Same with the car park behind the burnaby (and I presume SuperValu as its the same company afaik). I came back to my car after ten minutes to see the car park guy sitting in his van. He had put a notice on my window that I was going to be clamped but he was happy enough to take it off and tell me that there wasn't anything he could do until the 15 minute grace period expired.

Sounds like a very reasonable car park person. Not the usual story where they sneak up to clamp you at every opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭realgolfgeek

popped in here today.
    was very busy, alot smaller than I thought it would be.
    Service was quite poor I thought, very slow.
    I couldn't get over how many staff they had, I think it was 5 or 6.
    I can't see them making any money with that type of overhead to be honest. They need to cut that down into 2 or 3 (max!).
    Plus side: Coffee was very nice. Not as nice as Cafe De Stella though which is 1.50 for an americano compared to 2.30.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

popped in here today.
    was very busy, alot smaller than I thought it would be.
    Service was quite poor I thought, very slow.
    I couldn't get over how many staff they had, I think it was 5 or 6.
    I can't see them making any money with that type of overhead to be honest. They need to cut that down into 2 or 3 (max!).
    Plus side: Coffee was very nice. Not as nice as Cafe De Stella though which is 1.50 for an americano compared to 2.30.

How many coffee machines do they have in it? Can they work on two at a time?

red_bairn wrote: »
    How many coffee machines do they have in it? Can they work on two at a time?

Yes, I think so, but not 100% sure.

Actually, the one other thing I didn't like was the handing out of your little receipt bill.
    Ordered a coffee, got my bill straight away, order something else after, got another bill straight after. Thought it's a very bizarre and not so friendly approach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

went in today for a Cappo,not the best,froth was poor,taste of coffee was nice so will let it bed in a bit first.
    Overall not mad about the feel of the place tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

went in today for a Cappo,not the best,froth was poor,taste of coffee was nice so will let it bed in a bit first.
    Overall not mad about the feel of the place tbh.

Yes but it is targeting the wimmen folk not Bob's. :D

Yes but it is targeting the wimmen folk not Bob's. :D

it's targeting women ?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Caroline Gray9

Daniel thanks for this . We have now opened and are on day six . We are trying to provide a great service and hope u can pop in sometime . Thanks caroline gray

Thanks also to all other contributors and I hope u will give me a chance to sample our cafe and to try and get better and better . This is a small independent start up business and we are baking everything ourselves daily in cafe . I am nearly finished our first Saturday and thankfully a lot of people liked the baking today . I am a bit tired after finishing baking in cafe last night at three o clock but was delighted that people liked the fresh scones and cakes . We also introduced two gourmet sandwiches onto menu today . All our menu is lovingly prepared using the best fresh ingredients . We are also trying to use cafe as platform for artisan Wicklow food producers and we are only selling Wicklow producers in our retail offering . Our coffee is roasted by hand by a tiny Wicklow roaster ( mojo) . We will give 100 percent to try and make the cafe a nice place to visit and will do our best to get everything right and when we don't we will try and fix it as soon as possible . Looking forward to personally welcoming u to cafe and to join me on this adventure . It's all a bit scary but thanks for your support . We hope to do something real , provide a great service , have fun and give a real welcome and not corporate plastic have a good day sir type which I think is too common . I hope also to be able to survive and compete against giant coffee businesses . Any advice always welcome . Take care and enjoy rest of weekend . I better get back to starting cleaning to have it ready for next week . Thanks Caroline Gray ( cafe gray)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭stevestevenson

Ease up on all the negativity guys, this is a NEW business, offering LOCAL JOBS and selling LOCAL PRODUCE. Seriously, would you prefer if the main st looked like Main St Bray?? Closed buildings everywhere?

Personally, I love the choices that Greystones offers and try to hit a few of them each weekend. Was looking forward to trying Cafe Gray this weekend but alas they were closed Sunday -something to consider going forward perhaps.

Best of luck to them. While constructive criticism is fair (and should be welcomed), all new businesses have teething issues, so maybe the keyboard warriors should hold off for a while and give them a chance to get established.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

Ease up on all the negativity guys, this is a NEW business, offering LOCAL JOBS and selling LOCAL PRODUCE. Seriously, would you prefer if the main st looked like Main St Bray?? Closed buildings everywhere?

Personally, I love the choices that Greystones offers and try to hit a few of them each weekend. Was looking forward to trying Cafe Gray this weekend but alas they were closed Sunday -something to consider going forward perhaps.

Best of luck to them. While constructive criticism is fair (and should be welcomed), all new businesses have teething issues, so maybe the keyboard warriors should hold off for a while and give them a chance to get established.
    Yep, it's nice and friendly too

Thanks so much to the last two contributors . It is so encouraging to hear what u like especially as we are so early in this business . I am particularly thrilled that people are commenting positively on friendliness as I hate impersonal places . We will do our v best to welcome everyone and we have already met such interesting and nice people . Sorry also to Stephen re closing on Sunday . We worked v long hours often late into night baking and we needed day off . However I welcome suggestions and so to Stephen thanks for this idea . I have now decided within about a month once we get everything right we will attempt the seven day opening . Thanks also to everyone who has supported our small local artisan food producers . We introduced gourmet sandwiches on sat for first time all based on great fresh ingredients and people loved them and they were all sold out . Baby steps I know but all focused on building a great tiny local business . This is this my break for day and I feel renewed going back to cafe . Hope to meet all of contributors sometime at cafe . Hope u have a good week . Caroline

Yep, I'd say you miss pretty good business by not opening sunday. Provide papers maybe and breakfasts. You've got a nice sunny aspect and big windows. i could see it being a favourite for many. Enjoyed my coffee and scone. Must drop in for wine too

Many thanks . Caroline

Ease up on all the negativity guys

In all fairness Steve, the negativity wasn't meant in a bad or malicious type of way.
    If it were my business, I would 100% want to know any negatives ... especially in the first few days of opening.

Actually, the one other thing I didn't like was the handing out of your little receipt bill.
    Ordered a coffee, got my bill straight away, order something else after, got another bill straight after. Thought it's a very bizarre and not so friendly approach.
    They use a number system where you pay at the counter, take a number and then the order is taken to your table identified by the number. I see two problems with this.
    1. Customers will be less likely to tip as they pay before service is delivered. Loose change is put away.
    2. There is likely to be a smaller spend per table as two transactions are required if something else is required.

Just my opinion. Might be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

They use a number system where you pay at the counter, take a number and then the order is taken to your table identified by the number. I see two problems with this.
    1. Customers will be less likely to tip as they pay before service is delivered. Loose change is put away.
    2. There is likely to be a smaller spend per table as two transactions are required if something else is required.

Just my opinion. Might be wrong.
    In fairness, that's no different than any other cafe where they don't provide table service, such as Insomnia, Costa Coffee, Happy Pear, pretty much anywhere that isn't a restaurant...

In fairness, that's no different than any other cafe where they don't provide table service, such as Insomnia, Costa Coffee, Happy Pear, pretty much anywhere that isn't a restaurant...
    True, and I'd never tip at Costa, the coffee is not brought to table at costa and the sell up is done by waving muffins in front of you at the counter. It is different. It's not a criticism. A missed opportunity.............perhaps.

All ideas welcome and we will see what we can manage. Nice bright day in Greystones. Take care caroline

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Moobui

I think the system they have in place is a good one, especially during busy periods as it avoids a pile up at the counter while people wait for their drinks-this can be really frustrating in the Happy Pear for example. I'd advise that some kind of lid be fitted to the bottle they have the wooden spoon to indicate your number as I can see this sand ending up on the floor (or in someone's drink!) as my toddler was fascinated by it!

I think the cafe is lovely and the care and attention put into it is very obvious. On my two visits to date I found the staff to be really friendly and in a genuine way. The coffee I had was great as was the cake I ordered. I think Caroline and her staff are to be commended for what they are trying to achieve and I'm sure they will tweak things after they have had a settling in period. I haven't had one of their sandwiches yet but this option is really lacking in Greystones. Apart from Homans (where the food is good, but can be very busy) and the prepackaged, overpriced sandwiches in Costa and Insomnia, I don't know of anywhere else you can have a sandwich and a coffee.

One recommendation I would have is that the long table in the middle of the cafe be replaced with two smaller ones. I think this clogs up the space a bit and most people would prefer to not have to share the table with strangers when there's nowhere else to sit.

I'm delighted the cafe has opened and I hope it's a success. It's great to see someone with a real passion for what they're doing taking that chance and setting up a new business.

The last message has given me a boost for day . Thank u! Caroline Gray

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

The last message has given me a boost for day . Thank u! Caroline Gray

Hi was in cafe grey yesterday ..hoping id find something to complain about if im honest..but i couldnt..staff were friendly and helpful food was very good ..fresh and tasty..i had a pot of tea..wow..excellent tea guys..i havent had tea made with leaves for years and it was really good.im converted..i liked the decor especially the re :using of materials..i certainly will be back with friends...

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Oldlegs

OK that's it. I have had enough.

Working from home today. Need a break.

Will head down before the lunch time rush and grab a sandwich and coffee.

Will report back later :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Maudi wrote: »
    Hi was in cafe grey yesterday ..hoping id find something to complain about if im honest..but i couldnt..staff were friendly and helpful food was very good ..fresh and tasty..i had a pot of tea..wow..excellent tea guys..i havent had tea made with leaves for years and it was really good.im converted..i liked the decor especially the re :using of materials..i certainly will be back with friends...

How much was the pot of tea? Did you have the pot of tea by yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

red_bairn wrote: »
    How much was the pot of tea? Did you have the pot of tea by yourself?

Tea was two fiddy..i was with one other.

Do I wait and report back later or give it in real time?
    Hey we live in an online world, so here goes ...

Walk passed the front to get an initial look. On stepping inside there is a great airy feel to the place. Plenty of tables without feeling cluttered. (I like the slightly longer table in the middle, and sharing a table is a great way to strike up conversation).

"Beef Pastrami gourmet sandwich" screamed at me - no decision to be made.
    Unfortunately, today of all day's Beef Pastrami is not available. Turkey or Ham & Cheese alternatives, do not really sound like true alternatives. "What comes with the turkey ?" I ask, tears welling up in my eyes (seriously how can a Turkey sandwich compete with a Beef Pastrami !).
    Turkey, with salad, relish and garlic mayonnaise on fresh cob. Tears dry up quickly. Lets go with that then :).

As I type, I am half way through an amazing sandwich and great coffee. The pickled cucumber on the side is a great touch.

Starting to fill up with lunch time trade, but noise level doesn't change :)

Service is great.
    Overall feel of the place is great.
    Really reminds me of NYC/Seattle/Santa Monica cafes where you can go and read a book or chat for ages - whilst also getting great fare.

Hopefully in time, opening time will extend into the evening as this would be a great place to meet for coffee, glass of wine etc. after work.

Price for Coffee essentially the same as the rest of Greystones. Sandwich (@ €6.30) is more expensive than elsewhere, but his must be the best sandwich in town.

As Arnold Scharz. might have said, "I will be back!" - next time for the Beef Pastrami - hopefully :)

Well done Caroline and staff.

(PS - Does Greystones need another coffee shop ? I don't know. But this is a very welcome addition to Greystones and others may have to up their game to compete with the overall quality)

(PPS - As I was leaving, and made my introductions to Caroline and wanted to make sure the Beef Pastrami would be back on the next time. She told me that it would be back on in about 5 minutes, as delivery had just arrived. Oh well, next time.)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

I too ventured in earlier after lunch - had to try it.

Similar to above lovely airy feel in the place despite not being a warehouse ;)
    Staff were super friendly - had a giggle over their number system - not spoiling it for anyone who has not been down - but really unique - at least in my experience.

Coffee I really enjoyed it, even if I did have to leave after only drinking half a cup.
    Carrot cake - totally sinful. Afraid to bring my wife down as after trying one slice she might well keep on going. I know I wanted to.

Great addition to the town, will be going back, but will choose my times when it is not packed. Have to admit as someone who used to pick up his weekly comics from Paddy it is a weird experience in some ways.

Caroline - think you and your team all deserve a pat on the back. Their cheerful attitude and warm welcome when I stumbled in was great. Think I might have spotted you as I left but you were head down refilling the cakes - thank god you hadn't done that when I came in or I'd still be there missing work ;)

P.S. - Oldlegs sounds like we were there at the same time - shame we didn't have our Boards badges on ;)

Taltos wrote: »
    P.S. - Oldlegs sounds like we were there at the same time - shame we didn't have our Boards badges on ;)

We could have started the boards, flash-mob discussion forum. With the obvious topic "Why would people bother paying for a coffee in a cafe when it is much cheaper at home?" :)

• Advertisement

I was feeling a bit fed up tonight as the last two weeks caught up with me and am recovering from the loss of my dad who died the week before the cafe opened . However he was 92 and he died without pain in my house in Greystones . A photo of him is on wall in cafe with one of his cream cakes which he baked when he was 90 . Not bad eh? Anyway this is a long way to thank the last number of posts for cheering me up it was just the boost I needed so thank u all so much . If u have ever been involved in a small scale start up u will know how important your comments are so thanks yet again . Thanks also for idea to open some nights . Would an option of a cheese board or charcuterie or simple a slice of cake and a glass of wine and some candles and jazz music say on fri or sat evening be of interest? If so I will consider this in about a months time when I get any wrinkles in cafe fixed . I am now off to sleep and we are baking fresh scones in morning . Thanks again . Caroline gray

Advertisement