Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new cafe beside the dart station ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

I was feeling a bit fed up tonight as the last two weeks caught up with me and am recovering from the loss of my dad who died the week before the cafe opened . However he was 92 and he died without pain in my house in Greystones . A photo of him is on wall in cafe with one of his cream cakes which he baked when he was 90 . Not bad eh? Anyway this is a long way to thank the last number of posts for cheering me up it was just the boost I needed so thank u all so much . If u have ever been involved in a small scale start up u will know how important your comments are so thanks yet again . Thanks also for idea to open some nights . Would an option of a cheese board or charcuterie or simple a slice of cake and a glass of wine and some candles and jazz music say on fri or sat evening be of interest? If so I will consider this in about a months time when I get any wrinkles in cafe fixed . I am now off to sleep and we are baking fresh scones in morning . Thanks again . Caroline gray

I never got the chance to listen to my college mate play bongos in this cafe down in Wexford town. You could have something similar in your cafe. Open to people to play some music. Bring the Tunes. :-) Clearly you will be limited to space so people will have to bring instruments that are not too big.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

A bit of jazz and wine would go down nice me thinks..

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Caroline Gray9

Thanks to redbairn for idea on musicians . I love live music and used to sing in a band many years ago . I will give it some thought but as u note the space may be too small . Also I don't want to do anything to take away from or copy what other small independently owned cafes in area are doing and I know hot spot down road do good music. Thanks also to bobwilliams for post and glad u also like idea of jazz and glass of wine. Take care to all for rest of week. Caroline

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

I've never understood the concept of having musos mincing around on guitar playing my little acorn in a cafe? Partial what I'd imagine purgatory to be like. Tunage on a sound system is fine...best of luck with you're venture.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭stevestevenson

Last Friday of every month, wine & cheese/tapas, piped easy-listening playing gently in the background - sorted!

Call it "Payday Pinot" & give me 10% of royalties ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭realgolfgeek

Would an option of a cheese board or charcuterie or simple a slice of cake and a glass of wine and some candles and jazz music say on fri or sat evening be of interest? If so I will consider this in about a months time when I get any wrinkles in cafe fixed

Now THAT is something I would love !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

Last Friday of every month, wine & cheese/tapas, piped easy-listening playing gently in the background - sorted!

Pinot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

That sounds lovely :)

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Earlsie

Dropped in yesterday with the wife about 11.30 and the place was jammers, efficient friendly service and great coffee and cakes, simple
    Looking forward to dropping in again over the weekend, keep up the good work.

Are there any plans to provide deals on hot chocolate and cakes (for kids say), I would say I generally hit the town 2 or 3 times a week for coffee (after work or weekends) but if I have kids with me I will only ever go to one coffee shop that provides a deal, apart from the value for money aspect I'm told it’s the best Hot Chocolate in Greystones.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

@Caroline: Didn't make it in last weekend - determined to come visit this one!

Cheese/charcuterie plates washed down with some vino on the odd evening sounds fab - would definitely go for it.

I'm sure just managing getting up and running with the daytime business is demanding a huge effort though.... fair play for giving it a go and also for interacting on boards with the customers. Others would benefit from doing the same I feel....

... I can feel the beef pastrami sandwich calling me ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Hoosieria

I went in today to try it out. €2.30 for one oatmeal cookie? That has to take the biscuit (har har!). I did tell the counter that I thought that price was a bit expensive. For that price I would've expected a seriously large or creative oatmeal cookie, not your run of the meal small cookie with 4-5 pieces of dried cranberry. The price wasn't posted by the cookie jar, but if it had, I would've passed and gotten a €2.50 scone that would have had more eating to it. Interestingly, when I did mention the price, one employee told me that the cookie was supposed to be 80 cents and he was corrected by another. Cafe Grey - think carefully about your prices! The coffee was excellent.

Another thing - service is very confusing! I walked in and was waiting to order and I had people going around in front of me to order at the counter (I had a buggy). A customer told me that there was table service but when I sat down and waited for over 5 minutes, a staff person told me that I had to order at the counter. There's no sign any where telling customers how to order. I was made to feel like I should've know that that was the system.

I won't be going back. Too expensive and just too fiddly to go in with a baby stroller and deal with all that. There's more child/baby friendly coffee shops in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

I unfortunately am not in a position at the moment (unlike most of the Stones it seems :P) to go for coffee and delicious bits but going on the reviews on here and especially your comments Caroline, I will look forward to the day when I can pop in!

Your comments are so open and honest that they will make you vulnerable so ignore any nasties posting from behind their keyboards. You sound like you are really trying to make this work and I must be honest that every time I have been past I would have loved to have come in. Says it all really :D

As for the last poster ... sigh. I don't get this "won't be going back" business. You sound like my father and he is in his 70's and a grumpy old fecker. Give a new business a chance that is really trying to promote local and is not costing a fortune to visit.

I reckon a swingers night with fondue would be the business ... just saying like :P

Steve thanks so much I like the sign of Pinot payday

Steve thanks . I like idea of pinot paypay

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

I unfortunately am not in a position at the moment (unlike most of the Stones it seems :P) to go for coffee and delicious bits but going on the reviews on here and especially your comments Caroline, I will look forward to the day when I can pop in!

Your comments are so open and honest that they will make you vulnerable so ignore any nasties posting from behind their keyboards. You sound like you are really trying to make this work and I must be honest that every time I have been past I would have loved to have come in. Says it all really :D

As for the last poster ... sigh. I don't get this "won't be going back" business. You sound like my father and he is in his 70's and a grumpy old fecker. Give a new business a chance that is really trying to promote local and is not costing a fortune to visit.

I reckon a swingers night with fondue would be the business ... just saying like :P

Lol

Oldlegs wrote: »
    Do I wait and report back later or give it in real time?
    Hey we live in an online world, so here goes ...

Walk passed the front to get an initial look. On stepping inside there is a great airy feel to the place. Plenty of tables without feeling cluttered. (I like the slightly longer table in the middle, and sharing a table is a great way to strike up conversation).

"Beef Pastrami gourmet sandwich" screamed at me - no decision to be made.
    Unfortunately, today of all day's Beef Pastrami is not available. Turkey or Ham & Cheese alternatives, do not really sound like true alternatives. "What comes with the turkey ?" I ask, tears welling up in my eyes (seriously how can a Turkey sandwich compete with a Beef Pastrami !).
    Turkey, with salad, relish and garlic mayonnaise on fresh cob. Tears dry up quickly. Lets go with that then :).

As I type, I am half way through an amazing sandwich and great coffee. The pickled cucumber on the side is a great touch.

Starting to fill up with lunch time trade, but noise level doesn't change :)

Service is great.
    Overall feel of the place is great.
    Really reminds me of NYC/Seattle/Santa Monica cafes where you can go and read a book or chat for ages - whilst also getting great fare.

Hopefully in time, opening time will extend into the evening as this would be a great place to meet for coffee, glass of wine etc. after work.

Price for Coffee essentially the same as the rest of Greystones. Sandwich (@ €6.30) is more expensive than elsewhere, but his must be the best sandwich in town.

As Arnold Scharz. might have said, "I will be back!" - next time for the Beef Pastrami - hopefully :)

Well done Caroline and staff.

(PS - Does Greystones need another coffee shop ? I don't know. But this is a very welcome addition to Greystones and others may have to up their game to compete with the overall quality)

(PPS - As I was leaving, and made my introductions to Caroline and wanted to make sure the Beef Pastrami would be back on the next time. She told me that it would be back on in about 5 minutes, as delivery had just arrived. Oh well, next time.)

Thanks great to get live feedback caroline

Taltos wrote: »
    I too ventured in earlier after lunch - had to try it.

Similar to above lovely airy feel in the place despite not being a warehouse ;)
    Staff were super friendly - had a giggle over their number system - not spoiling it for anyone who has not been down - but really unique - at least in my experience.

Coffee I really enjoyed it, even if I did have to leave after only drinking half a cup.
    Carrot cake - totally sinful. Afraid to bring my wife down as after trying one slice she might well keep on going. I know I wanted to.

Great addition to the town, will be going back, but will choose my times when it is not packed. Have to admit as someone who used to pick up his weekly comics from Paddy it is a weird experience in some ways.

Caroline - think you and your team all deserve a pat on the back. Their cheerful attitude and warm welcome when I stumbled in was great. Think I might have spotted you as I left but you were head down refilling the cakes - thank god you hadn't done that when I came in or I'd still be there missing work ;)

P.S. - Oldlegs sounds like we were there at the same time - shame we didn't have our Boards badges on ;)

Probably was me refilling cakes . Sorry I did not say hello

Thanks . Payday Pinot sound a great idea but I could not afford royalties which are more than my hoped for profits . However if u open some weekends hope yo see u there at some stage

Now THAT is something I would love !!!!

Thanks for feedback

Earlsie wrote: »
    Dropped in yesterday with the wife about 11.30 and the place was jammers, efficient friendly service and great coffee and cakes, simple
    Looking forward to dropping in again over the weekend, keep up the good work.

Are there any plans to provide deals on hot chocolate and cakes (for kids say), I would say I generally hit the town 2 or 3 times a week for coffee (after work or weekends) but if I have kids with me I will only ever go to one coffee shop that provides a deal, apart from the value for money aspect I'm told it’s the best Hot Chocolate in Greystones.

Thanks so much for nice comments . We need these to keep going . Thanks also for ideas on hot chocolate and cakes . Caroline

• Advertisement

@Caroline: Didn't make it in last weekend - determined to come visit this one!

Cheese/charcuterie plates washed down with some vino on the odd evening sounds fab - would definitely go for it.

I'm sure just managing getting up and running with the daytime business is demanding a huge effort though.... fair play for giving it a go and also for interacting on boards with the customers. Others would benefit from doing the same I feel....

... I can feel the beef pastrami sandwich calling me ....

Thanks for advice and encouragement . It's all been a bit of a challenge but reaction of customers , friends and people on boards has been a Hugh help . Have a great weekend

Hoosieria wrote: »
    I went in today to try it out. €2.30 for one oatmeal cookie? That has to take the biscuit (har har!). I did tell the counter that I thought that price was a bit expensive. For that price I would've expected a seriously large or creative oatmeal cookie, not your run of the meal small cookie with 4-5 pieces of dried cranberry. The price wasn't posted by the cookie jar, but if it had, I would've passed and gotten a €2.50 scone that would have had more eating to it. Interestingly, when I did mention the price, one employee told me that the cookie was supposed to be 80 cents and he was corrected by another. Cafe Grey - think carefully about your prices! The coffee was excellent.

Another thing - service is very confusing! I walked in and was waiting to order and I had people going around in front of me to order at the counter (I had a buggy). A customer told me that there was table service but when I sat down and waited for over 5 minutes, a staff person told me that I had to order at the counter. There's no sign any where telling customers how to order. I was made to feel like I should've know that that was the system.

I won't be going back. Too expensive and just too fiddly to go in with a baby stroller and deal with all that. There's more child/baby friendly coffee shops in town.
    Thanks for feedback and delighted u like the coffee which is blended in Wicklow . Sorry the service system was not clear and I will try and fix this . Any suggestions on best options welcome . I have three choices : 1. Costa , Starbucks , insomnia model ( I personally hate having to stand and wait with tray for coffees rather than sit down an relax) 2. Cafe Gray model which involves ordering t counter but then we bring it to your table so dont have to wait balancing a tray . 3. Formal waitress service . Any thoughts welcome

Maudi wrote: »
    Lol

Thanks so much for such supportive comments . Much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

I really like how you order, get given your "special" number and take a seat. I guess it might get challenging when you are busy though. But again like you I am not overly fond of Starbucks - even when I order there I am less tempted to sit and stay, but maybe that is part of the design.

These to me are small kinks that get sorted through repetition - a bit on yours but on ours too, it's all about learning incrementally. I was lucky when I came in there was no-one person ahead of me so going to the counter that welcomes you as you come in the door was great. And as I mentioned had a laugh with your staff, it was ease itself to ask if I waited or took a seat - they gave me the number which somehow I failed to see, don't ask I am not always the most observant.

In terms of posters saying they won't be back, that's unfortunate but no matter how you design your service not everyone is going to be a fan. Having popped in just once to you I can say that I am really looking forwards to going back in after a lazy stroll for another coffee and to sample another of your cakes.

Great job Caroline, and really hope that you make a success of this. Knowing us keyboard warriors try not to let the criticisms get to you too much, not saying ignore the negative comments but take them on board, see if there is anything you can or more importantly should do and move on, don't let them consume you (that's our job for the cookies/cakes/sandwidges...)

Taltos wrote: »
    I really like how you order, get given your "special" number and take a seat. I guess it might get challenging when you are busy though. But again like you I am not overly fond of Starbucks - even when I order there I am less tempted to sit and stay, but maybe that is part of the design.

These to me are small kinks that get sorted through repetition - a bit on yours but on ours too, it's all about learning incrementally. I was lucky when I came in there was no-one person ahead of me so going to the counter that welcomes you as you come in the door was great. And as I mentioned had a laugh with your staff, it was ease itself to ask if I waited or took a seat - they gave me the number which somehow I failed to see, don't ask I am not always the most observant.

In terms of posters saying they won't be back, that's unfortunate but no matter how you design your service not everyone is going to be a fan. Having popped in just once to you I can say that I am really looking forwards to going back in after a lazy stroll for another coffee and to sample another of your cakes.

Great job Caroline, and really hope that you make a success of this. Knowing us keyboard warriors try not to let the criticisms get to you too much, not saying ignore the negative comments but take them on board, see if there is anything you can or more importantly should do and move on, don't let them consume you (that's our job for the cookies/cakes/sandwidges...)

What a nice start to Saturday morning . Thank u for your feedback and also your advice . I need both! Have a great day and I mean that and not in American ' have a nice day sir' . Take care and look forward to seeing u sometime at cafe

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

In here now on this beautiful morning. Excellent coffee, service, decor and very friendly helpful staff.
    Typical Greystones prices, which is fair enough as they have to pay typicak Greystones rent.

I wish them the best of luck with this venture.
    A great addition to the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

The way the weekend was shaping up didn't look like I'd make it in for lunch so dropped in for breakfast instead with my wife and toddler.

Liked the coffee, scones very good and croissant also pleasant.

Of the three ordering system options you listed, I'd definitely say stick with what you've got. Easily the best one...

As a few others have commented (I think!), it did feel a little like there was one too many staff - perhaps leading to them being underused and clearing things from our table more enthusiastically than really necessary. That said, we were always asked first before anything was cleared - and overall certainly thought it was a friendly atmosphere.

So, very positive first impression - felt like you genuinely care about the quality of the fare served up. Prices are a bit on the high side - that means quality needs to be high but I feel the scones and coffee did that - look forward to trying the sandwiches sometime soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Gordy6040

good luck with the new business.
    On another note, Charlesland needs a Pub like a hole in the head. I don't see what can be gained by a pub in a housing estate.
    The space could be better used as pretty much anything else, like an office or something like that.

Great to meet u today at cafe and thanks for your advice . Not sure if I will continue posting or not but I just want people to know I really care about what I am trying to do . With sun shining I wish I could go for a swim in Greystones but maybe one day . Where did I go wrong to end up inside on a sunny day ? Thanks for dropping by . Take care caroline

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Great to meet u today at cafe and thanks for your advice . Not sure if I will continue posting or not but I just want people to know I really care about what I am trying to do . With sun shining I wish I could go for a swim in Greystones but maybe one day . Where did I go wrong to end up inside on a sunny day ? Thanks for dropping by . Take care caroline

Don't worry Caroline. I was once in the building a few years back in lovely days like today wishing I was out and about for a swim myself. :D

Advertisement