Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

thinking of starting accounting!

• 24-08-2013 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi everyone, i just joined this today because ive been reading peoples posts and find them really helpful as its always good to hear other peoples experiences! Basically im 27 have been travelling... working odd jobs the last few yrs. Im home now working as an "accounts assistant" in an office even tho i dont really have anything to do with the accounts! Was thinking of starting a course in ait. The accounts technician course.... but have also heard about another course ati... really confused bout all this... was wondering if thete is anyone in the same position as me? Or has anyone done any of these courses and if so what did you find to be the best?
    Thanks in advance :):):) x

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭wesf

Hi Snowwhite, I have just finished the accounting technician course in AIT, going into year 2 of 3 of the degree in accounting next week.
    ATI are accounting technicians ireland, they set the exams, AIT gives the classes during the year.
    According to my lecturers it is a good course and anyone going on to do the degree does very well. I won't say its very tough but you definitely have to put the work in, 45 of us started, only 5 of us passed all exams first time, more had repeats last week so they may get through yet.
    All I did was show up to class, I think I missed maybe 5 or 6 classes over the 2 years, did the work I was asked to do and did a bit of study towards exam time, once you do that you're sorted.
    AIT is a good spot, lecturers are very good and are always there to answer any questions you have.

The downside, it is expensive, if you don't qualify for a grant for fees you will have to pay for that, also ATI get something like €650 which you have to pay yourself, this covers books, exams, registration fee etc. Its a lot of money to hand out although they do a stepped payment system where the payments are spread out over a few months.
    I don't intend on using the ATI qualification as my plan from the start was to get the degree and during my time in AIT so far I am leaning towards CIMA, I got the top result in the class for management accounting so I'm heading in the right direction.
    If you have any questions at all ask away!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 snowwhite86

Hiya wesf,
    Thank u for all that info its a great help... so u did the accounting technician course with acca in ait is that correct??
    With the ati course is it a straight up 2 yr course or can u stop after yr1 with a certificate if u wish? Because from what i understood after reading up on it, it seemed as if u do year 1 and u get a certificate and then if u go on to do yr 2 u get ur degree?? Is this how it works or is it straight up a 2 yr course?
    If it can be split its good because then if u dont like if after 1 year u can stop!!
    Thanks in advance!! :)

Advertisement