Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good priced Alloy wheel refurbishment

Options
  • 24-08-2013 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭

Anybody know a good and reasonbly priced place in cork..just looking to get kerb marks and the likes done

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Give Leo Whelan a call. He's on the back Douglas Rd and he's always done great work for a reasonable price for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

No pricing on that website. How much?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

rovoagho wrote: »
    No pricing on that website. How much?

That's probably why he says "Call me with your vechicle information and a general description of your wheel damage"- fixing alloys in Ireland and especially places like Cork with miles and miles of bad roads out there is a 'how-long-is-a-piece-of-string' situation. Leo is an approachable and professional guy and won't pressure you and will give you a pessimistic estimate over the phone.

I've been to him several times and I've given him bent and even cracked alloys and he's taken care of them. I've also left alloys with him that I wasn't under pressure to get back so I can't say I've ever had consistent pricing although I've always felt he's given me great value for money. I'm sure there's a big 'per wheel' difference for an urgent single damaged rim vs a set of four for a basic lick of paint in yer own time.

Thanks. What about the finish? Does he weld rims or just patch them? It's the finish likely to open up again in the same places?

I'm currently sourcing a set of replacement rims so i can send mine off to Lepsons for refurbishment, but if a local guy is genuinely doing a top job for a good price, I'd prefer to give this business to him. It'd want to be a top job though.

On pricing, if Lepsons can do it, he can do it. There's nothing that bugs me more on a services website than a lack of pricing information, even guidelines. It's as bad as arsehole dealers that put POA on all their classifieds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

Think he quoted me 200 for the 4 last time.is that good

• Advertisement

It's not bad if he did quality work, and it was more than paint and light kerbing. Lepsons is £55 a wheel for 18s or under, but there's carriage to factor in too. You know what you're getting with Lepsons though, your wheels will come back looking great. I've seen polished wheels done by them that looked factory, and polished are much harder to get right.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Munstermini

Leo Whelan did a single alloy for me recently with a dent with a crack maybe 10mm big on the outer rim and I wish I sent it to a bunch of kids in a play school armed with silver crayola markers. €50 for a brutally rough job. Left a big flat spot on the circumference and ground into the wheel too far when taking down the weld and slapped a lick of paint (of a very different shade) over it. Never again. Wheel doctor in Tipp next time. Supposed to be excellent. Pity he's a bit far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Leo Whelan did a single alloy for me recently with a dent with a crack maybe 10mm big on the outer rim and I wish I sent it to a bunch of kids in a play school armed with silver crayola markers. €50 for a brutally rough job. Left a big flat spot on the circumference and ground into the wheel too far when taking down the weld and slapped a lick of paint (of a very different shade) over it. Never again. Wheel doctor in Tipp next time. Supposed to be excellent. Pity he's a bit far away.
    +1 for Wheeldoctor. He is just outside of Tipp Town so not too far from Cork.
    Great to deal with and work is unbelievable

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭BillJ

Could you put up a pic of the job he did Munstermini? I have been contemplating taking my wheels to him and would like to see an example of his work

I would be getting 4 fully refurbished so colour matching wouldn't be an issue for me

/me goes back to lepsons....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

The previous owner of my car had the alloys done by FibreNews son in Douglas. Tiny bit of lacquer peeling now but holding up well for a non powdercoat job.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I've had a few wheels done by Leo and the quality of the work was always top notch.

I could afford to leave the wheels with him for a while.
    He put the whole wheel back to bare metal and did a full restore.
    A lot better than some "patching" jobs I have seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Been a few years now , but i had some done by Leo some time back and was delighted with his work and price ...nice guy to deal with too .

Advertisement