Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

lost my iphone 5 last night

• 24-08-2013 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I was in town last night and lost my iphone 5, very annoying i am not sure if it was lost or stolen as the zip of my bag was open at one point.
    I tried calling it and it is switched off. what are my chances of getting it back?
    how do i go about trying to get it back?
    i had used the phone to store all my photographs and i was also using the notepad for important diary dates and things i need to remember. i had several important things noted in the notes of the phone? is there ANY way at all i can even get back that information i had in the phone?
    finally is it possible for the person who has the phone now to access my photos and notes if they put their own sim in the phone? is there any way i can get them deleted without having the phone on me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭leemaree

Did u have the app 'Find My iPhone'? Yes, they can swap the sim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

You can get all the stuff back even if you can't get the phone back. On a replacement iPhone or iPod touch, sign in with your Apple ID and choose iCloud Restore.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 lost iphone 5

Zcott wrote: »
    You can get all the stuff back even if you can't get the phone back. On a replacement iPhone or iPod touch, sign in with your Apple ID and choose iCloud Restore.

in order to do this would i need to have had the phone backed up in the first place? i never plugged my phone into any itunes since starting to use it. so annoying :(

also if they put their sim in the phone, would they be able to see my photos? i had a code on the front screen but im sure they wouldnt need it with their sim right? or they could crack it?

and if not, what use will my iphone be to anyone if they dont have my code to access it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭neilmulvey

in order to do this would i need to have had the phone backed up in the first place? i never plugged my phone into any itunes since starting to use it. so annoying :(

also if they put their sim in the phone, would they be able to see my photos? i had a code on the front screen but im sure they wouldnt need it with their sim right? or they could crack it?

and if not, what use will my iphone be to anyone if they dont have my code to access it?

if someone with the same network as you has it, then can software upgrade the phone through itunes and use it. You need to contact your provider and get the IMEI blocked.

Have you tried to ring the place where you were at the time to see if it was handed in. It is possible that it wasnt stolen and if the right person finds it you might be lucky.

thanks a lot for this neil. if i contact vodafone and ask them to block the imei number is it possible to unblock it if i later get the phone back?

i just dont want some randomer having access to my private things

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

It's still not clear if you had the find my phone app installed or had iCloud backup enabled. You don't need to have ever used itunes to backup your phone for iCloud to be enabled. For starters go to https://www.icloud.com/ and login with your Apple account.

Here if you go to Contacts and see contacts you'll have had iCloud backup turned on on your phone. You should also be able to see the notes and calandar events.

If you see the find my phone icon and it's active you could be in luck and see where it last was.

thanks a lot for this neil. if i contact vodafone and ask them to block the imei number is it possible to unblock it if i later get the phone back?

i just dont want some randomer having access to my private things

At a guess I would say yes the IMEI could be unblocked. If the phone has a passcode then its unlikely to be accessed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

The important thing here is did you have iCloud turned on in the settings. The app itself isn't important and only used to track other devices. If you had iCloud turned on in the settings then it's a start.

Firstly you can log into iCloud.com with your Apple ID and password (the same
    one you use to download apps) and if it was enabled you can access your notes, contacts photostream etc. You can also track the phone, pop up an alert message so the person with the phone can see it. You can also erase the phone which removes all your personal details. Phone needs to be turned on though. If your phone had got iCloud backup turned on too then you can put all your personal stuff back on your new phone if its an iPhone.

If you do ring up Vodafone and get the IMEI blocked, then AFAIK, they won't unlock it if you get the phone back. But not sure there. This will just block any sim being inserted into the phone. So it will be useless as a phone in Ireland or the UK.

Also to put your mind at ease once you had the passcode lock on the phone the person who has it can't access anything on your phone. All they can do is erase all your stuff off it. So your files, photos and personal data are all safe.

Lets hope you turned on iCloud.

Dudda wrote: »
    It's still not clear if you had the find my phone app installed or had iCloud backup enabled. You don't need to have ever used itunes to backup your phone for iCloud to be enabled. For starters go to https://www.icloud.com/ and login with your Apple account.

Here if you go to Contacts and see contacts you'll have had iCloud backup turned on on your phone. You should also be able to see the notes and calandar events.

If you see the find my phone icon and it's active you could be in luck and see where it last was.

thank you for this. i tried accessing icloud from my brothers iphone 3 but its not working. how can i access icloud if i only have a laptop and an iphone 3?

thank you for this. i tried accessing icloud from my brothers iphone 3 but its not working. how can i access icloud if i only have a laptop and an iphone 3?

You can go to iCloud.com on the laptop and login. It doesn't matter if the laptop is windows or mac but I don't think iCloud.com likes older versions of IE so you may have to update your browser if it's an old laptop. Let us know if you have problems logging into iCloud.com

• Advertisement

You can go to iCloud.com on the laptop and login. It doesn't matter if the laptop is windows or mac but I don't think iCloud.com likes older versions of IE so you may have to update your browser if it's an old laptop. Let us know if you have problems logging into iCloud.com

i must say you are very helpful. thanks. when i logged into icloud on my laptop i got the following message
    "SET UP ICLOUD ON A DEVICE TO USE ICLOUD.COM. your apple ID must be used to set up icloud on an iOS or OS X device before you can use icloud.com"

i must say you are very helpful. thanks. when i logged into icloud on my laptop i got the following message
    "SET UP ICLOUD ON A DEVICE TO USE ICLOUD.COM. your apple ID must be used to set up icloud on an iOS or OS X device before you can use icloud.com"

Sh1t.... I'm afraid you don't have iCloud enabled and your data, contacts and photos are gone.

The only hope you have left to get your photos back is if you have an app that automatically backup your photos. The following apps are the most popular that do this but they all need to be given permission to do so. If you use any of these apps a lot you may have turned it on at some time without knowing so it's worth checking.

Facebook - backs up your photos to a folder in your albums iOS uploads.
    Google+ (plus) - backs up your photos to a photo tab called Auto Backup's
    Dropbox - backs up all photos to a folder called camera uploads

For everyone else reading this check your own icloud.com is working now. If your trying the iOS 7 beta it needs to be re-enabled so even though you may think it's working check again now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Sh1t.... I'm afraid you don't have iCloud enabled and your data, contacts and photos are gone.

The only hope you have left to get your photos back is if you have an app that automatically backup your photos. The following apps are the most popular that do this but they all need to be given permission to do so. If you use any of these apps a lot you may have turned it on at some time without knowing so it's worth checking.

Facebook - backs up your photos to a folder in your albums iOS uploads.
    Google+ (plus) - backs up your photos to a photo tab called Auto Backup's
    Dropbox - backs up all photos to a folder called camera uploads

For everyone else reading this check your own icloud.com is working now. If your trying the iOS 7 beta it needs to be re-enabled so even though you may think it's working check again now.

From reading this thread have tried my self but I don't have suffice my space too back up my phone.. Sounds like its worth buying more or is there nacks too be pulled??

MrMac84 wrote: »
    From reading this thread have tried my self but I don't have suffice my space too back up my phone.. Sounds like its worth buying more or is there nacks too be pulled??

You can go into the storage and it shows you exactly what's taking up all the space. I backup to iTunes so be always got 4.7GB left. But would like the option to backup to both.

To check your usage: Settings>iCloud>Storage & Backup>Manage Storage

It shows what exactly the space is allocated to. Usually it's the apps.

DubDJ wrote: »
    You can go into the storage and it shows you exactly what's taking up all the space. I backup to iTunes so be always got 4.7GB left. But would like the option to backup to both.

To check your usage: Settings>iCloud>Storage & Backup>Manage Storage

It shows what exactly the space is allocated to. Usually it's the apps.
    So turn off all the apps so n just keep important things like photos n contacts? Or is it worth paying for the space do you think?

So turn off all the apps so n just keep important things like photos n contacts? Or is it worth paying for the space do you think?

Have a look through your storage and see what's taking up most of your space. And then see if you can delete any of it and free some space up. No need to pay unless you absolutely need the storage.

Went in there and my photos are 5mb alone! Gotta move them too the pc along with videos and then set up iCloud for pictures,contacts and notes(the rest aren't really important I don't think??) and set up find my iPhone

Went in there and my photos are 5mb alone! Gotta move them too the pc along with videos and then set up iCloud for pictures,contacts and notes(the rest aren't really important I don't think??) and set up find my iPhone

You can turn on iCloud without the need for freeing up space. The space problem is only for backing up your iPhone. You need a fair bit of space to backup the iPhone with iCloud.

Well I think I have iCloud on now.. Find my iPhone is working any ways

i just want to say thank you all very much for helping me out. i know im a stranger who doesnt have a boards account but u have inspired me to maybe set one up with all your help! thanks very much.

as for the phone, dubdj let me know that i definitely dont have icloud and there is no way to get all my photos and things back so i guess its a lost cause.
    i rang the place where i was on the night and asked and they asked "what colour iphone" and i said "white" and she said "no we have no white iphones" so i dont think ill be getting it back..

best plan is to maybe try block the emei number to make sure the phone cant be used :(

• Advertisement

if you ever lost an iphone in a taxi in dublin, where would the iphone be handed into if the driver was honest?

if you ever lost an iphone in a taxi in dublin, where would the iphone be handed into if the driver was honest?

You'd have to find out where the taxi was from, eg. what rank. If you used Hailo or a similar app to order one then it might help you find out, but if you just grabbed one on the street I'm afraid you'll have a hard time tracking it down and if you do the driver will probably deny finding it.

how would someone be able to use the phone? i mean if i block the imei number and a foreign man uses the phone outside of ireland, would he not still require my pin? is there a shop that can get rid of my pin and allow him access?

how would someone be able to use the phone? i mean if i block the imei number and a foreign man uses the phone outside of ireland, would he not still require my pin? is there a shop that can get rid of my pin and allow him access?

The software can be upgraded on itunes which effectively resets the phone to factory settings. However the IMEI/Serial Number of the phone has an activation policy for your network (for the rest of this post I am assuming its vodafone)

Voda can block the IMEI which means it cannot be used. In theory the phone cannot be activated on another network.

Some iphones are unlocked and the activation policy is unlocked so even if Voda blocked the IMEI, it could still be used on another network.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 farrell1986

hi guys.

i was in croke park yesterday with my mam dad for the mayo and tyrone all ireland semi-final. after the game at approx 6:30 pm we hailed down a taxi beside jurys inn crokepark. we were dropped home to our house and about 10 mins later my dad realised he had left his iphone on the passenger seat. we called the phone and the taxi man answered. we said we would come meet him straight away but he insisted he would drop it out to us at somestage of the night, so i said i would pay the fare out as a gesture and he agreed.
    within an hour of this the phone was switched off. and hasn't been turned on since. there was 70% battery on the phone at the time. today i called all of the garda stations but nothing has been handed in.
    the driver of the taxi was a man in his late 30's-early 40's.
    he was from liverpool with a very strong accent.
    he was driving a black Ssangyong Rodius 2.7 Litre Diesel

if you guys or anyone out there could help me locate the taxi or the phone i would be very grateful.
    its not the phone thats got me.. its the principal.

conor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

Farrell definately start a new thread for that so it gets seen, it might get lost in this thread.... What a scum bag......

• Registered Users Posts: 2 farrell1986

thanks
    i only joined today. how do i start a thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭OU812

It amazes me how many people buy an idevice for €400+ & then don't go setup the free safeguards they provide.

icloud takes about fifteen minutes to set up so all photos & contacts & notes are backed up & the device is traceable.

Also get lookout.com & fonehome.com (the latter allows you to operate the camera remotely so you can get a picture of the person who has it).

OU812 wrote: »
    It amazes me how many people buy an idevice for €400+ & then don't go setup the free safeguards they provide.

icloud takes about fifteen minutes to set up so all photos & contacts & notes are backed up & the device is traceable.

Also get lookout.com & fonehome.com (the latter allows you to operate the camera remotely so you can get a picture of the person who has it).

There should be some type of leaflet included to let people know what it is. Apple does push you to join iCloud through the device though. And it doesn't really take 15 minutes. Once you create an Apple ID you can do the basics by just signing in and turning the switch on for iCloud. For Mail and that you'll need to create the account. It's a simple painless process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 moschops

Thanks a mil for the advice Dudda & DubDJ about setting up iCloud. I recently got an iPhone & had never bothered setting it up... Just skipped over the prompt to do so when I first got it. Reading this thread made me set it up just there. Some real scummy behavior from that Taxi-driver too... Sorry to hear that.

Advertisement