Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Necessity of using Ubuntu Linux in our laptops

• 24-08-2013 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

I installed Ubuntu Linux (12.04 LTS) in my windows laptop. I installed GNOME3 desktop environment also. I can say that it overcomes a Macbook in its look and feel.
    o need for antivirus. Everything is free. I will never use windows anymore. Ubuntu is amazing. You will get wondered. Everything free. Why we should buy ms office for some euros, antivirus for some euros, windows for some euros. So download ubuntu linux from its site and install. No need to pay anything. After installing ubuntu, install gnome3.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

I'm sure most people here are well aware of it but thanks anyway. :)

Also try Lubuntu, Linux Mint, or my own favourite, Fedora.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭_Godot_

I like Mint myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

thumbs up for mint too. or just not paying for windows. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Voyager Linux (a Xubuntu respin) is my favourite. I'm typing this on an eight year old Inspiron upgraded to 2GB ram and it runs excellently.

I've Lubuntu on my netbook-great for laptops with 256mb-1GB ram. Don't think I would go back to windows now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

sunbeam wrote: »
    Voyager Linux (a Xubuntu respin) is my favourite. I'm typing this on an eight year old Inspiron upgraded to 2GB ram and it runs excellently.

I've Lubuntu on my netbook-great for laptops with 256mb-1GB ram. Don't think I would go back to windows now.

Not tried Voyager but sounds good, cheers for the tip. The day that games companies start supporting more games on Linux, is the day I will never go back to Windows. Linux is just better in pretty much every way.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

They only thing that really stops me from using Linux exclusively is its gaming limitations. Thankfully that seems to be changing somewhat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

Linux is getting easier and easier to use alright and more noob friendly but sometimes you kinda miss the challenge of getting it to work.. I still use terminal to do a lot of stuff even tho there's a GUI that is faster and easier....nostalgia :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

I use SolydK, semi-rolling release, based on Debian Testing, KDE, no need to re-install, superb.
    (what is this "Windows" thing everyone mentions?);)

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭madness98

Is it true that Steam is coming to linux?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

madness98 wrote: »

Old news...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

madness98 wrote: »

Steam has been out for Linux for a good few months now. The games library is growing all the time, even Football Manager 2014 will be supporting Linux!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

does openoffice spreadsheets have all the same features as excel...that would be my office deal breaker

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭madness98

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Steam has been out for Linux for a good few months now. The games library is growing all the time, even Football Manager 2014 will be supporting Linux!

Whoops....i may have gotten behind the times

OpenOffice Calc and Gnumeric have pretty much the same features as Excel but format and macro compatibilty can be an issue.

You can test both programs without installation on your Windows PC, at portableapps.com you can doanload Gnumeric and LibreOffice.

If you are only using the spreadsheets for yourself or other Linux users, then Libre Office is fine. The Windows users may have problems with it as Torqay mentions, so if you pass files to them they may experience difficulties, poor dears.....
    You could also try Free Office, there is a version for Linux, and is supposed to be more compatible with MS Office
    http://www.freeoffice.com/

excollier wrote: »
    You could also try Free Office, there is a version for Linux, and is supposed to be more compatible with MS Office
    http://www.freeoffice.com/

Softmaker Office does have a pretty good track record re MSO compatibility. But it's not available for Linux. ;)

And the free version is rather old (2010?).

Torqay wrote: »
    Softmaker Office does have a pretty good track record re MSO compatibility. But it's not available for Linux. ;)

And the free version is rather old (2010?).
    So is MSO 2010, plenty of folk still using that.....I imagine.

BTW, looking at your sig picture, I'm just back from watching episode 13 of BB....only three left to wrap it up. Gripping stuff.

Cool... my bad, must have been recent development. They must have "upgraded" the free version to 2012 then because 2010 was not available for Linux.

excollier wrote: »
    Gripping stuff.

And a nice cliffhanger. :D

Nah...it's still 2010 I have , but that's no older than most versions of MSO

• Advertisement
Advertisement