Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marketing course vs Digital Marketing

Options
  • 24-08-2013 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi there

I am wondering if somebody out there can offer me some advice. I am signed up to do a Marketing masters in DIT but I am not sure about it, as I have been looking into a digital marketing post grad with DMI which also offer work experience. I'm wondering is there is anybody out there who has completed either or what people think is best. Is marketing worth doing anymore as the drive seems to be towards digital. People are changing to digital and if I was to do the post grad diploma,is this qualification high enough to get me a job after completion? I have a B.A in Economics not business so this could go against me also. Thanks in advance for any knowledge shared.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭The Apprentice

I have Honours in Business and Diploma in digi marketing with years of personal exp and still cant get a full time role.
    Avoid at all costs the diploma, as its a complete waste of time - despite you learning something you may not likely get a job from it. I would however advise you to do the masters as it will make you much more credible as it does contain much more real life scenarios and role play with actual online marketing cases.
    HOWEVER i cannot comment on how employable you will be with the masters as most of the roles require 1-2 yrs experience which is a **** stirring chicken and egg scenario ..

Either way, i wish you the best of luck as you,ll need it getting into the industry :D

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭RedFly

Trust me, do the marketing masters in DIT.
    Traditional marketing concepts are are far more important online than they used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 eCeltic SEO Dublin

I agree RedFly....you need to understand traditional forms of marketing and apply them to the digital world.

Digital marketing is still in its early day..There will be pleanty of change over the next few years... just look at recent updates to Google alone the penguin, the panda, now the hummingbird - all aimed at regulating this space..

Trad marketing is going to become more and more valable as time passes and the digital world develops further ... I myself have held off on a post grad in digital marketing.. I do not think the time is right "digital marketing" does not yet have enough structure - that is my opinion anyways.

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭anbrutog

Read Claude Hopkins - Scientific Advertising.

You'll learn more from that book alone than you will from any marketing course, trust me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

I have Honours in Business and Diploma in digi marketing with years of personal exp and still cant get a full time role.
    Avoid at all costs the diploma, as its a complete waste of time - despite you learning something you may not likely get a job from it. I would however advise you to do the masters as it will make you much more credible as it does contain much more real life scenarios and role play with actual online marketing cases.
    HOWEVER i cannot comment on how employable you will be with the masters as most of the roles require 1-2 yrs experience which is a **** stirring chicken and egg scenario ..

Either way, i wish you the best of luck as you,ll need it getting into the industry :D
    RedFly wrote: »
    Trust me, do the marketing masters in DIT.
    Traditional marketing concepts are are far more important online than they used to be.

I couldn't disagree more. I did the Diploma course in DMI in May, and off the back of that, have been proactive and started some small scale consultancy for SME's and the like.

I recently enrolled on the Post Grad course in DMI and am doing it online, as I have too many work commitments with my regular job and my new consultancy, to make the lectures in the City Centre.

Off the back of the Diploma, my career path has shifted entirely. I'll be earning enough off of doing my consultancy work, and some small scale e-commerce work, to work solely for myself. I've even been offered roles in companies now in Digital, but turned them down to concentrate on my own stuff.

I can't see any company hiring Traditional over Digital, as any company I've been in with a traditional marketing manager, have openly said to me, "We don't know what we're doing any more..." One guy had been given a large enough budget to advertise using PPC and Social, and had essentially burned through a months budget in 2 weeks, with zero ROI.

If you are proactive and willing to go look for the work and not wait for it to come to you, then do the course! :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭The Apprentice

Ok fair point, it may be just me in this rut..
    Im currently enrolled in the Web Innovate ran by the Digital skills academy and there are also some DMI members there with the diploma that cannot get full time employment from it also.
    Consultancy is something that may be above and beyond someone that done the 12 week dmi program and it may be misleading to all that most can do this, or have the business acumen to make a profession out of it.

Fair play to you btw.. well done !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Des5678

brianblaze wrote: »
    I couldn't disagree more. I did the Diploma course in DMI in May, and off the back of that, have been proactive and started some small scale consultancy for SME's and the like.

I recently enrolled on the Post Grad course in DMI and am doing it online, as I have too many work commitments with my regular job and my new consultancy, to make the lectures in the City Centre.

Off the back of the Diploma, my career path has shifted entirely. I'll be earning enough off of doing my consultancy work, and some small scale e-commerce work, to work solely for myself. I've even been offered roles in companies now in Digital, but turned them down to concentrate on my own stuff.

I can't see any company hiring Traditional over Digital, as any company I've been in with a traditional marketing manager, have openly said to me, "We don't know what we're doing any more..." One guy had been given a large enough budget to advertise using PPC and Social, and had essentially burned through a months budget in 2 weeks, with zero ROI.

If you are proactive and willing to go look for the work and not wait for it to come to you, then do the course! :-)

Hi, I'm hoping to do the Digital Marketing Diploma starting March at DMI. Could I send you a PM to get a bit more of an idea of your experience of the course - I've done all the research on what is available in terms of courses but I'd appreciate some insight by someone who has done the course.

If you can help that would be great.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

The county is awash with wetbacks who have done digital marketing courses, A proper Marketing Degree is the minimum any employer will want. Add on some qualification afterwards in DM and it could be of some value. Most employers will also want at least a few years of post qualification experience too, preferably with Google or the like. It is overhyped and oversold as a career, just because it is new.
    Just look at Googles own requirements for new hires to get the idea.

Advertisement