Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how long for a hakki pilke to process 30m3 of spruce thinnings?

• 24-08-2013 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of buying a lorry load of spruce thinnings, how long for a hakki pilke to process 30m3 of these spruce thinnings?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

locky76 wrote: »
    I'm thinking of buying a lorry load of spruce thinnings, how long for a hakki pilke to process 30m3 of these spruce thinnings?

M Large told me that the Hakki Pilke Expert 30 can process 3 to 4 m3 per hour at ease if you have a way of lifting the logs onto the roller table and a trailer for collecting the split wood. So you should easily get through 30m3 in a day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭$kilkenny

I have a good feeling that man was talking about like 20 foot lengths of 10 inch timber which is ideal, as for a hakki pilke splitting a full lorry load of first thinnings which will more than.likely be pulp and anywhere from 3 to 10 inches you could very much end up processing more with a chainsaw and no splitter.
    Dam its hard doing a full lorry load a day with any of the posch gear id say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

I'd strongly suspect that the outputs quoted by the manufacturer/seller of any of these machines is realistically only achievable under ideal conditions: perfectly straight clean round logs of just the right size, uninterrupted supply of said logs, and uninterrupted removal of processed product.

In the real world (variable size/length/straightness of raw material, one operator doing it all, smoke/dinner/piddle breaks, etc), I'd suggest that 1/2 the claimed output is probably more realistic.

So, given reilig's example above of 3-4 m3/hour as quoted by the seller of this type of machine, I'd be budgeting 15 hours or so (at 2 m3/hour) to do 30 m3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Rovi wrote: »
    I'd strongly suspect that the outputs quoted by the manufacturer/seller of any of these machines is realistically only achievable under ideal conditions: perfectly straight clean round logs of just the right size, uninterrupted supply of said logs, and uninterrupted removal of processed product.

In the real world (variable size/length/straightness of raw material, one operator doing it all, smoke/dinner/piddle breaks, etc), I'd suggest that 1/2 the claimed output is probably more realistic.

So, given reilig's example above of 3-4 m3/hour as quoted by the seller of this type of machine, I'd be budgeting 15 hours or so (at 2 m3/hour) to do 30 m3.

There's a guy in donegal advertising his services with a Hakki Pilke 30 in local press claimaing to be able to process 40m3 in 10 hours and for €600. Saw in advertised on a newspaper that I picked up in a canteen earlier this week. Have to be softwood logs though! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

$kilkenny wrote: »
    I have a good feeling that man was talking about like 20 foot lengths of 10 inch timber which is ideal, as for a hakki pilke splitting a full lorry load of first thinnings which will more than.likely be pulp and anywhere from 3 to 10 inches you could very much end up processing more with a chainsaw and no splitter.
    Dam its hard doing a full lorry load a day with any of the posch gear id say.

how long to cut the lorry load with a chainsaw

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

Alone, no breakdowns, logs ready to roll, a long 2 days. With 2 people, clean timber 1.5 days.

GY A1 wrote: »

How long is a piece of string?
    Depends on alot of things really like saw, user, chain, size of timber, softwood or hardwood etc
    Shouldnt take more than 3 handy days even if the timber is smallish on your own going for 2 full days might take it and working late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

$kilkenny wrote: »
    How long is a piece of string?
    Depends on alot of things really like saw, user, chain, size of timber, softwood or hardwood etc
    Shouldnt take more than 3 handy days even if the timber is smallish on your own going for 2 full days might take it and working late.

sound see above, a guide of 2 days, gives an idea thats all
    i know how long the string is thanks :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭locky76

Good question, but should it include splitting as well?
    Going by above, 12 to 15 hours should cover the cutting & splitting with the processor at €40 an hour, so ballpark €600 or €20 per metre...

sound see above, a guide of 2 days, gives an idea thats all
    i know how long the string is thanks :rolleyes:

Lol sorry man, its hard to give u an exact estimate to the hour but if you have a good saw like a stihl, know how to.use it and can sharpena chain properly and its softwood itl take 2 or so days.

• Advertisement
Advertisement