Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CBT would it be effective for somebody with the following kind of anxiety issues

Options
  • 24-08-2013 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

What is your opinion of CBT cognitive behaviour therapy as a therapy for people with a lot of anxiety issues ? I'm talking for somebody who has agoraphobia for past 5 years, is panicky nervous a lot, has health anxiety, worries about getting a serious illness, or having a serious illness, has obsessions compulsions, feels need to repeat certain sentences ritualistically at times to in their mind prevent something dreadful from happening !

Do you think CBT would be an effective type of therapy for such a person ? thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

Yes, most definitely, it would be the best therapy for these issues by far

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Here's a list of some of the disorders for which CBT is proven to work well for. Lots and lots of studies on the effectiveness of CBT if you do a Google/Google Scholar search.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭sam30

It can be effective but my advice would be to find a clinical psychologist who can do a proper formulation around the difficulties and determine best course of therapeutic intervention based on that formulation rather than going to someone who will do CBT as if reading from a manual whether it is appropriate or not.

sam30 wrote: »
    It can be effective but my advice would be to find a clinical psychologist who can do a proper formulation around the difficulties and determine best course of therapeutic intervention based on that formulation rather than going to someone who will do CBT as if reading from a manual whether it is appropriate or not.

May I point you at the How To Find A Therapist sticky.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭sam30

Sorry Julius C, I don't understand what you mean?

• Advertisement

Information about CBT training, and the accreditation of CBT therapists. Of course, as we know, there's nothing to stop untrained, badly trained, half-trained people claiming to be CBT therapists, or to be capable of delivering CBT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 singsong321

Yes, it is extremely effective!! Cognitive behavioral therapy is tailored to people who suffer from both anxiety and depression. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

Assuming we are talking about people who want to improve, wouldn't CBT always be appropriate, no matter what the issue?

Valmont wrote: »
    Assuming we are talking about people who want to improve, wouldn't CBT always be appropriate, no matter what the issue?

I'm sure there may be a case for your point Valmont, but I wonder how much the persons personality variables would impact upon the CBT approach been effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭rustopher

That's a good point, I am interested in this area and was wondering if I could base my 4th year social care dissertation on it but then I suppose I would prob need a qualification in CBT? maybe something similar then?? Any suggestions??

• Advertisement

rustopher wrote: »
    That's a good point, I am interested in this area and was wondering if I could base my 4th year social care dissertation on it but then I suppose I would prob need a qualification in CBT? maybe something similar then?? Any suggestions??

I'm not sure what your question is. Could you clarify?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Molecule

Valmont wrote: »

Nope, CBT isn't always the most appropriate form of therapy. This may be due to the particular presenting issue (e.g. borderline personality disorder, where Dialectical Behavioural Therapy appears to show the best results), or to the individual personality or needs of the client. Some people may resist the very structured, manualised, homework-based nature of CBT, and so the therapy may have to be adapted to take account of what is likely to be more effective for them or a different approach used, such as psychodynamic, schema therapy, EFT, mindfulness etc. Also, some people may say that they want to improve but when it comes to it, they're just not at that point yet and may need more general, supportive input to start with. I've also met a fair few Clinical Psychologists who would argue that they find approaches such as psychodynamic or schema therapy to be more effective, particularly in complex cases. CBT is often presented as a catch-all miracle cure but as with anything, one size does not fit all.

CBT is not a monolithic type of therapy - it encompasses DBT, Mindfulness, Compassion-focussed, ACT, and numerous other varieties of CBT. In fact, the school might be thought of as 'evidence based therapies' rather than CBT. If you check out the SIGs on the webpage of the BABCP, you might be a little surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Molecule

CBT is not a monolithic type of therapy - it encompasses DBT, Mindfulness, Compassion-focussed, ACT, and numerous other varieties of CBT. In fact, the school might be thought of as 'evidence based therapies' rather than CBT. If you check out the SIGs on the webpage of the BABCP, you might be a little surprised.

Was this for me? I'm well versed in the different CBT-related or derived therapies. My post above related to what I suppose you could call 'pure' CBT. I speak from the experience of having had many referrals from CBT nurses after CBT failed to work. I feel that one of our biggest strengths as CPs is the ability to adapt our therapeutic approach based on evidence but also on individual need and suitability. And after all, doesn't most of the research show that it's the quality of the therapeutic relationship rather than the specific therapeutic technique that is the most effective element of psychotherapy?

Molecule wrote: »
    And after all, doesn't most of the research show that it's the quality of the therapeutic relationship rather than the specific therapeutic technique that is the most effective element of psychotherapy?

It's necessary, but not sufficient.

Advertisement