Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radio Reception in Motorhomes

• 24-08-2013 5:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭

Howdy looking for some advice.. if you google this subject there are many forums with people posting that, in general, radio reception in MH's are pretty bad. We have a Ducato X250 2010 and the "in built" aerial is comical to say the least. I have tried a couple of solutions each with varying degrees of success ranging from better but poor to better again but on a par with a 1970's radio with a coat hanger for an aerial. I have tracked down the factory fitted one and its left in the light cluster in the roof of the cab attached to nothing, why MH manufactures think this is ok is beyond me..anyway this is something i want to get resolved and before i take the drill to the camper im thinking one of two solutions but since both involve a drill and one is more work than the other im wondering if anybody can advise.... wing mounted rubber duck type or similar or mount an aerial on the roof? Current attempt is a Halfords glass mounted one which is properly grounded and also have a noise suppressor fitted. Radio is a good quality Sony and while its a bit better its still nowhere near what i would call "car quality" .. thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

runner2011 wrote: »
    Howdy looking for some advice.. if you google this subject there are many forums with people posting that, in general, radio reception in MH's are pretty bad. We have a Ducato X250 2010 and the "in built" aerial is comical to say the least. I have tried a couple of solutions each with varying degrees of success ranging from better but poor to better again but on a par with a 1970's radio with a coat hanger for an aerial. I have tracked down the factory fitted one and its left in the light cluster in the roof of the cab attached to nothing, why MH manufactures think this is ok is beyond me..anyway this is something i want to get resolved and before i take the drill to the camper im thinking one of two solutions but since both involve a drill and one is more work than the other im wondering if anybody can advise.... wing mounted rubber duck type or similar or mount an aerial on the roof? Current attempt is a Halfords glass mounted one which is properly grounded and also have a noise suppressor fitted. Radio is a good quality Sony and while its a bit better its still nowhere near what i would call "car quality" .. thanks in advance.

Usually its the earth or lack there of is the problem you may need to sand scrape or pierce the inner paint in somewa uh to get an earth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭runner2011

I've checked that a few times with the built in lead dangling in the air at the other solutions i have tried... earth is good in each case. just keep loosing reception once you head out of cities ..some areas better than others etc. i just think it needs an aerial on the outside and i have read of people who have put the aerial on the wing and still suffer hence I'm thinking the roof might be better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

I have a similar problem - reception sometimes good and often lose the signal. Ariel is mounted on the front wing, original (as far as I know), 2005 ex German registered MH.

Even while parked, can lose the signal, especially if someone walks past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?sbk=1&nav=SEARCH&itemId=330994842414

Cable might be rubbish then. Best one I've used is a Bosch amplified aerial similar to above one in belfast amplifier eliminates the losses in the cable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

The mist x250s have the aerial in the mirror, and it's excellent IMO. In the 244s I fitted a big standard motorfactors beesting aerial on the wing and also perfect. I'd be trying your radio!

• Advertisement

Hi Aidan.. definitely not the radio as i have two.. the original Fiat and the Sony and they both suffer from the poor radio reception. Ground cable all good and even ran a new one to be sure. I was under the impression the aerial was in the Wing mirror but after many hours of chasing it down its in the cab area in my MH. The Ducato workshop manual states that the aerial is in the cab area (presume for a roof fitting) but can be in the wing mirror IF requested. So.. maybe its the wing mount route rather than roof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

Hmm unusual on a 250. In that case, wing mounted, I pop out the headlight to fit them neatly, and not a rubber ducky, I never found them good. It's quite easy to fish the new aerial wire back to the stereo on those.

Thanks Aidan, appreciate it.

Advertisement