Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Renewing a bike provisional license again??

• 24-08-2013 5:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭

Quick Q cause we're totally confused here! :confused:

So my sister has a full car license for 15 yrs. She had a bike provisional in 2003/4 and rode a restricted Bandit, did Aon insurance test etc but never sat the license test. She lived abroad for years etcetc and only renewed the provisional in 2012 but now it has just expired. What now? She's ready and wants to sit the test but am I right in thinking she cannot renew the old provisional again? Will she need to go and do theory test etcetc all over again or can the provisional be renewed or changed to new learner permit thingy?

Any help appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Quick Q cause we're totally confused here! :confused:

So my sister has a full car license for 15 yrs. She had a bike provisional in 2003/4 and rode a restricted Bandit, did Aon insurance test etc but never sat the license test. She lived abroad for years etcetc and only renewed the provisional in 2012 but now it has just expired. What now? She's ready and wants to sit the test but am I right in thinking she cannot renew the old provisional again? Will she need to go and do theory test etcetc all over again or can the provisional be renewed or changed to new learner permit thingy?

Any help appreciated!

If her last licence was held in 2012 then she just needs to book the test and with that she can apply for the next LP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Her last L/Permit would have been a 25kw A (restricted).
    If she is over 24, she can get the unrestricted A, BUT she will have to do IBT to validate the L/Permit for an unrestricted bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭bitburger

did she have to sit a theory test in 2012 to get the permit, i.e was it considered a new license or just a renewal of one of the older ones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Billiethepup

No theory test sat again in 2012 - they took it as a renewal :)

Thanks for all the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭bitburger

Okay, she can renew it again providing she books her test, she will get another 1 year, she will get 2 years if she has sat and not passed a test, she can get an A2 license now, no need for ibt, this will restrict her to a motorbike of 35kw(instead of the old 25kw), when she wants to get an A unrestricted license she must send for a new permit and sit ibt before being allowed on the road,

im not sure but she could probabaly hold an A provisional and an A2 at the same time and not need ibt until she wants to ride an A class machine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement