Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

topgear presenters

Options
  • 24-08-2013 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Is it just me or has the show gone down hill within the last couple of years. Richard Hammond, Jeremy Clarkson, James May are out dated and need to be replaced with younger presenters. Yes No Maybe????
    Tagged:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

It's just you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Royal.Baby

Replaced with who though?

I don't know if i like them or not, sometimes they are funny then other times they make me cringe especially Clarkson.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 hydro graphics ireland

Dnt get me wrong I love the show, but it just seems to be lacking that little bit joie de vive lately...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Cant remember the last time i watched it,used to watch it every week, same thing every week racing top spec/sports cars a round a track which i could never afford .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

It's only really the challenges that are worth watching.
    Top gear is good as an entertainment show, not really as a motoring show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

There is something not... quite right :confused: with the last couple of series, I am usually really exited for a new series but right now I have a bunch of episodes waiting to be watched and no real inclination to watch them. I can't really put my finger on it but it's just not as good as it used to be. My one gripe has always been that I wish they would do a bit more with normal road cars, super cars are great fun and superb to look at but it's all getting a bit same-y.

I do agree that sometimes the presenters can be cringeworthy, James is probably my favourite because he does seem to test more practical cars, where as with the other two it can sometimes seem like they are testing what they are going to buy next, cars that the vast majority of the population could only dream of owning.

The specials seem to have lost their spark too, the polar, america, Vietnam specials were some seriously good viewing now it just seems like staged opportunities for Clarkson to act like an oaf. I used to love Clarkson, he was a loveable oaf, now he is just an oaf and an annoying one at that.

All that said I can't think of anyone who would replace them and I suspect that if the BBC tried there would be up roar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Royal.Baby

Make it about the cars again. The celebrity in a car thing is terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 hydro graphics ireland

Maybe Russell Brand would be a good replacement for Clarkson?

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭madfcuker

Over the years it's got more and more scripted. Lack of funds from BBC doesn't help either.

I do like to see decent challenges bit they have done pretty much every challenge and they are running out of ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Vote 4 Pedro

you might be right, i used to watch every week without fail but i have not planned to watch one for ages.
    i have caught the odd episode and they make me cringe where they used to make me laugh my chopper off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

So you're going to improve a show based on the comic qualities of a grumpy old man with.....a younger presenter?

I think you're missing the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

I think its still a good show but it has lost some of its appeal. The old challenges were great but they've pretty much done everything now, and any new challenges just seem unoriginal. I don't like the ones where they make/modify their own cars. It's like watching a sitcom where they're reading from a script; trying too hard to be funny.

I liked the episode where they went to the USA and got chased by the fellas in the pick up truck. Somehow I don't think that was planned. The Vietnam one was also very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'd like to see more normal stuff too but then there are other shows for that. Top gear is the presenters. I'd say if one decided to quit the show would likely end.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭misterdeeds

Is it just me or has the show gone down hill within the last couple of years. Richard Hammond, Jeremy Clarkson, James May are out dated and need to be replaced with younger presenters. Yes No Maybe????
    Mmmmm prob not me thinks ,well clarkson has to be left in it for me anyway as for the other two ..... yeah cud do with some freshning up I agree but it is not as I remember years ago when they were ordinary everyday cars featured seems to be more challenges nowardays than car reviews imo
    As for clarkson getting the boot so to speak , I know he is a shareholder in top gear so I would imagine he has a good say with regard to his appearance in it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,459 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The whole point of the Top Gear triple act is that they're middle-aged men acting the maggot & generally behaving like kids. Replace them with younger presenters would be to not only spectacularly miss the point of the show and its comedy routine, but to mistake its own audience...

If I'd like to see anything, it's for May & Clarkson to lose a bit of weight. Sounds harsh I know, and sure they're getting on & all that, but good god the pair of them look ludicrous as they fold themselves into the various supercars. Nevermind another crash, I'm waiting for the cancelled episode because of a heart attack :eek:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Careful what you wish for. Change the presenters and you could end up with Top Gear USA...:eek:

No need to change.

• Site Banned Posts: 257 ✭✭Driveby Dogboy

And on that bombshell...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Get rid of that idiot Hammond and replace him with Chris Harris. He's actually able to drive and is a real character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Sitec wrote: »
    Get rid of that idiot Hammond and replace him with Chris Harris. He's actually able to drive and is a real character.
    It's the relationship between them that helps make the show. There's no point in saying that new presenter A is better than any one of the current presenters, he/she would suck unless they fit in with the other two. That would be the challenge if any one of them decided to leave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Johnmb wrote: »
    It's the relationship between them that helps make the show. There's no point in saying that new presenter A is better than any one of the current presenters, he/she would suck unless they fit in with the other two. That would be the challenge if any one of them decided to leave.

Isn't that what happened with that guy in Season 1, Jason Dawe?

Didn't fit on with Clarkson and Hammond in their level of geniality

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Caonima

Wash your mouth out

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Isotonik

The show in it's most recent format has always been heavily scripted but I don't sense there's been any decline in quality. I do agree with the point that a lot of the challenges have already been done though.

One of the show's all time funniest moments for me came in the last series where Clarkson and May tested the Honda and VW Crossovers and had that caravan race. Epic! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭mr lee

stopped watching long ago,too staged,too scripted and too much fake laughter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Got to agree - getting increasingly too staged and swapping the genuine banter with canned laughing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I think its somewhat a victim of its own success. It's been running a long time by modern standards, all the ideas have been done twice over at this stage, & it's well past its peak.

There are moments/flashes of brilliance, but it's increasingly rare, & more often than not I find myself saying "Hmm, they done this a few seasons back" or somesuch. I still watch it religiously, but honestly, I feel it would be a better show if the scripting was relaxed. I think the season before the most recent took this approach, & it was the best season in a long time.

The most recent African special was decent, but again not a patch on the classics like the Polar special, Vietnam, & South America. I don't think changing the presenters would work either, couldn't see anyone else fit in. I like Clarkson, I think he can be funny & witty in a 'stuck in his ways' kind of way, I like May a lot, even his own projects are pretty good, I really don't like Hammond much though.

I think the format of the show needs freshening up, the SIARPC segment should have been done away with long ago. The opening features are usually good, & then along comes the SIARPC comes along & takes all the momentum out of the show, it's usually just a plug for a new film or book too. I do however like the F1 stars when they're on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

You know they've done caravan races before, right? Twice possibly?

I'm still happy to watch it, it has nice cars, locations and photography, and it usually makes me laugh, but they're getting lazy in their old age. To be fair, I probably would too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

i think one of the best segments in recent years was the one where Jeremy and Hammond went out and bought second hand cars to show James what you can buy for the price of the Nissan Pixo that he was talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Everyone's posts are most valid and I can agree with everything being said. I especially agree with less scripting, some of the shows are getting really boring with the lustre worn off, IMO, because of the retakes to get those scripted moments absolutely bang on, Clarkson and co would be happy with close enough to have fun.

The budgetary strain shows through too and it was funny or ironic that Top gear did a race through the 'old' BBC building, only to have the operations move back in a short time later due to funding problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Isotonik

rovoagho wrote: »
    You know they've done caravan races before, right? Twice possibly?

I remember they did a caravan holiday before which resulted in a fire plus a separate camping challenge in modified cars but apart from the obligatory dropping a caravan from a crane stunt and caravan conkers I can't remember any other instances when they've been featured.

Advertisement