Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

topgear presenters

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Isotonik wrote: »
    I remember they did a caravan holiday before which resulted in a fire plus a separate camping challenge in modified cars but apart from the obligatory dropping a caravan from a crane stunt and caravan conkers I can't remember any other instances when they've been featured.
    There was the time they turned one into an airship and blew in over an airport while racing a sports car. Season 18 had the raise with two 4x4 to get there first. The camping trip with burning the caravan and tearing down the tent of the next caravan over.

How ever I do recall one were they had 3 caravans and had to "modify them" or something; one built a huge maze or something and there was something with a cliff while two where having an icecream at the beech or something.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Nody wrote: »
    There was the time they turned one into an airship and blew in over an airport while racing a sports car. Season 18 had the raise with two 4x4 to get there first. The camping trip with burning the caravan and tearing down the tent of the next caravan over.

How ever I do recall one were they had 3 caravans and had to "modify them" or something; one built a huge maze or something and there was something with a cliff while two where having an icecream at the beech or something.

Image.jpg?p=100802_12:17

• Registered Users Posts: 6,375 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

the show needs freshening up for sure.

I do think while changing any of the 3 presenters would be too drastic, some guest reviews by guest presenters, some new segments of some kind, even just replacing something like the News with reintroducing things like the cool wall would semi-freshen the show up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I think Jeremy and May are fine

It's Hammond who's getting really annoying, actually has been for serveral seasons. It's like he's Clarksons little brother trying to be him.

When it comes to the scripted parts, he's the worst.

The caravan segment with James and Jeremy was the best part of the least season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

In terms of scripting:

When Clarkson has to do it, the persona of Clarkson still comes through
    When May has to do it, the persona of May still comes through
    When Hammond has to do it, it's just awful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

"Star in a Responsibly Priced Car " is also bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,353 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Sitec wrote: »

Its the best part or at least it was until Tom Cruise came along, went straight to the top and suddenly all who followed appeared to suddenly achieve better times and knocked him off again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

I've got my note pad out for next weekend, but this is the first years I've not been looking forward to it's return.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I like the show, but the completely unnessessary scripting is so bad. Watched the source of the nile one there last week, the entire building the raft and the directors car falling off was just terrible.
    IvySlayer wrote: »
    I think Jeremy and May are fine

It's Hammond who's getting really annoying, actually has been for serveral seasons. It's like he's Clarksons little brother trying to be him.

When it comes to the scripted parts, he's the worst.

The caravan segment with James and Jeremy was the best part of the least season
    Hammond is definitely the weak link on the show. Always thought it would be so much better if they had Tiff Needle instead of Hammond. But Tiff might have a bit too much knowledge about cars for the other two :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

Jeremy clarkson is some muppet,don't know does he still do it but I remember him being fairly rude to some people in the crowd passing it off as funny calling them baldy etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Axidium

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Cant remember the last time i watched it,used to watch it every week, same thing every week racing top spec/sports cars a round a track which i could never afford .

Watch Fifth Gear! No one wants to see diesels going around a track.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭EB_2013

Sitec wrote: »

Hate that part too. I always forward or skip the interview. I just want to see the lap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Siarpc segment needs to go, it's never good, even when there's an interesting guest.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Myrddin wrote: »
    Siarpc segment needs to go, it's never good, even when there's an interesting guest.
    I think I agree. The anticipation of "who wants to see their lap time" has long gone. I don't think anyone really cares if Gordon Ramsey beats James Blunt anymore. And with different track conditions, it's all a bit meaningless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Cienciano wrote: »
    But Tiff might have a bit too much knowledge about cars for the other two :pac:

Tiff stood in as the Stig for a couple of shows too during those "troubles", so yer, right. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Cienciano wrote: »
    Hammond is definitely the weak link on the show.
    He's to much like the other two, porsche fan? Yes. Motorcycle fan? Yes. Fast speed fan? Yes (even if Jeremy is starting to become a bit of a "oh it's to fast now" personality).

The ideal person to add is the lady who's doing Top Gear Germany (Sabine Schmitz the turing ring driver who was in two earlier seasons and the Germany vs. UK Top gear show). Her attitude would help offset the other two quite nicely if replacing Hammond and add some real competition to things rather then the current same old same old (not that it will stop me from watching every episode with in 24h)...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,459 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'd agree the format, maybe even the presenters need to change, but it's too much of an institution now; and considering its primary ethos is to enable 3 middle-aged men to act like pillocks for an hour (the producer openly admits this) a new face, let alone a female one, would upset that balance & the dad demographic too much. It's being strangled by its own success really; they built a formula that worked brilliantly, it has become tired & creaky through over-eagerness to recreate the previous organic chaos via scripted scenes, but nobody's brave enough to change it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,989 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I'd say that "organic chaos" is over-stating it a bit. There's always been a script, since shoots have to be planned so that they get the shot. Every shot you see, someone took the trouble to scope out a location and get a camera there in advance.

I was particularly struck by this when Amy Williams raced her Skeleton bob versus the rall car at Lillehammer: she obviously did multiple runs, since there are shots from cameras all over her - including one attached to her helmet - but those cameras aren't in evidence in long shots of the race they showed.

One thing that annoyed me about Hammond is how he fakes enthusiasm for things, though I think that's less of a problem than it used to be. He looked totally out of place in the Pagani Zonda, a physically huge hypercar, and I didn't believe the way he enthused about it. The Morgan Aero 8 was more his style - I believed him there, even before he spent his own money on one.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,459 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

bnt wrote: »
    I'd say that "organic chaos" is over-stating it a bit. There's always been a script, since shoots have to be planned so that they get the shot. Every shot you see, someone took the trouble to scope out a location and get a camera there in advance.

I think this new series emphasises my point a little tbh; I get what you're saying and I agree partially - there has to be a general script to set up a scenario - but in the past to me it felt like things were left to happen of their own accord & the trio reacted naturally. Now it's just a series of sketches, gags and reaction shots based on the presenters' assigned personalities.

Advertisement