Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bought a TV 3 days ago I'm not happy with it , can I return it?

Options
  • 24-08-2013 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭

I'm not happy with the sound quality , I have the receipt and all the packaging , can I return it for a full refund?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Is it just not living up to your expectations? If so, no, you have no right to return it for a full refund.

Is it faulty? You have the right to bring it back for repair/replacement or refund, subject to agreement with store.

In short, it's highly unlikely you can bring it back for a full refund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

have your read the instructions and looked to see how you can change the sound settings - usually very easy, just a button on the remote.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Bring it back and change for another one.

You will need to check the reatilers return policy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Can you give us an idea as to what's the issue with the sound quality, OP? What model is the tv?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

Paulw wrote: »
    Is it just not living up to your expectations? If so, no, you have no right to return it for a full refund.

If you bought it online, this isn't applicable. Distance selling regulations allow you to change your mind within a fixed period, I think 7 days from receipt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

rovoagho wrote: »
    If you bought it online, this isn't applicable. Distance selling regulations allow you to change your mind within a fixed period, I think 7 days from receipt.

True.
    However, unless the retailer agrees otherwise, you are responsible for its safe return and paying the return shipping costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭swoofer

small lcd tv's are notorius for poor sound quality as the speakers are too tiny. tv's like these are often used in kitchens where they are only glanced at etc. What is not widely known is that if you have a mini hi fi system nearby for lsitening to radio you can connect tv as well using the headphone socket. All you need is a mni jack cable at one end and two phonos at other end.

and the make and model of tv would be a great help as these tv's although small can have a multitude of settings. samsung are poor, philips are best

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

In reality what were you expecting from the sound from a TV ? LCD TV's constantly disappoint in the sound department. Flatter screens and smaller enclosures lead to some sacrifices - almost always the sound suffers.

Did you audition it in the store where you bought it ? Is the sound worse than you heard ? Was the demo model hooked up to a surround system ? Lot's of variables here.

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 25,459 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

ZENER wrote: »
    In reality what were you expecting from the sound from a TV ? LCD TV's constantly disappoint in the sound department. Flatter screens and smaller enclosures lead to some sacrifices - almost always the sound suffers.

+1 The same applies to laptops, the speakers are tiny and squashed into ever decreasing space so you have no right to expect good audio quality.

The ironic thing is that the salesman in the showroom will brag about how thin a TV is while failing to point out the compromise this involves when it comes to the built-in speakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭godwin

Thanks for the replies , I ended up selling it on DoneDeal , made €35 profit also :)

coylemj wrote: »
    you have no right to expect good audio quality.

Of course I have a right to good sound quality.
    theteal wrote: »
    Can you give us an idea as to what's the issue with the sound quality, OP? What model is the tv?

One of these , dreadful sound even after playing with the equaliser for ages , even through the home sound system it lacked any bass.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd-blu-ray/televisions/large-screen-tvs-32-and-over/toshiba-40l1353b-40-led-tv-20745320-pdt.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭kc90

godwin wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies , I ended up selling it on DoneDeal , made €35 profit also :)

I assume you told the buyer why you were selling it? And of course you'll make it very easy for them to return it to you should they not be happy.

kc90 wrote: »
    I assume you told the buyer why you were selling it? And of course you'll make it very easy for them to return it to you should they not be happy.

Their idea of good sound quality and mine are probably different , so no need to mention that. They have a 2 year manufacturers warranty with it if there is a technical problem.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Their idea of good sound quality and mine are probably different , so no need to mention that. They have a 2 year manufacturers warranty with it if there is a technical problem.

Warranty is with the person who purchased it from the store, item is now second hand so warranty wouldn't transfer over to the 2nd person

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Cabaal wrote: »
    Warranty is with the person who purchased it from the store, item is now second hand so warranty wouldn't transfer over to the 2nd person
    Some warranties are transferable; others are not.

Some warranties involve registration; if the original purchaser did not send in the warranty registration (+ "add me to your mailing list") card, it is available to the new owner. There is room to argue about how legitimate such a transfer might be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

Just on the original question and 'if' the scenario played out that the OP returned the TV to the shop -

I purchased a TV in Argos a couple of months ago, paid in cash, also bought a EZ Mount Wall Bracket in Argos with the intention of mounting it to a wall.

I had every intention of keeping the TV when I bought it so I took it out of the box, stripped all the plastic covering, took the covering off the plugs, unraveled the plugs from the little wires they come tied in etc etc.

Basically, the cut a long story short, the wall mounting was a disaster, I had nothing measured. The TV was sitting on a dado rail, the mount was so flat that the actual wire in the back was pushing the TV out, all the cables were hanging down from it etc. I was going to have to put a new plug on the wall and that meant no DVD player, no SKY box, basically a disaster.

The reason for it going on the wall in the first place was that their was literally nowhere else in the room where it would fit.

So, I put the TV back in the box and put everything else in along with it and went back to Argos and explained my situation.

If I was asked once, I was asked 10 times if I had plugged the TV in. They opened the box, took everything out and laid it all out over a desk and examined everything.

I only had the TV a day and had my full receipt. The back of the receipt said 30 day no fuss guarantee, it didn't say anything about do not plug in TV's. The entire thing was quite embarrassing in-store but I did get my refund in the end.

Is there a general rule about electronics - that if you want to avail of a stores refunds policy then don't plug them in?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

They opened the box, took everything out and laid it all out over a desk and examined everything.

Id assume it has to do with the retailer getting credit from the supplier. If there is anything missing from the box or damaged the supplier might refuse the retailer credit and then Argos would be out the cost of the TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

If somethings sold as second hand then it's buyer beware. There are no statutory rights for second hand stuff.

The warranty may or may not be transferable. It normally isn't. Normally though you'd give the guy the store receipt. How's the manufacturer going to know the guy with the receipt isn't the guy who bought it and I doubt they really care.

But on the flip side the buyer can inspect the item before buying and I normally tell guys who buy anything from me that they have 3 days to change their mind. Nobody ever has.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭skinny90

The only way you'd be able to transfer it is if you gave the receipt which I assume you didn't seeing has the customer was willing to spend 30 quid more

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭kc90

timetogo wrote: »
    If somethings sold as second hand then it's buyer beware. There are no statutory rights for second hand stuff.

The warranty may or may not be transferable. It normally isn't. Normally though you'd give the guy the store receipt. How's the manufacturer going to know the guy with the receipt isn't the guy who bought it and I doubt they really care.

But on the flip side the buyer can inspect the item before buying and I normally tell guys who buy anything from me that they have 3 days to change their mind. Nobody ever has.

That's perfectly fine, if I buy something on adverts for example, I obviously don't expect after sales care, but I do expect honesty. The OP hasn't done that, he's passed his problem onto someone else and for a profit.

That's perfectly fine, if I buy something on adverts for example, I obviously don't expect after sales care, but I do expect honesty. The OP hasn't done that, he's passed his problem onto someone else and for a profit.

I can't see that from the OPs post. He didn't say the buyer didn't see it working. It's possible though.
    Normally when somebody buys something from me they come out to where I have it. I turn it on and they play with it. I'd imagine a TV would be similar.

Either the OP went to the buyers house or the buyer went to OPs house. In either case I can't imagine the buyer not turning on the TV to make sure it works.

• Advertisement

The OP hasn't done that, he's passed his problem onto someone else and for a profit.

I passed on a TV that I didn't think had good sound quality , not a "problem" , the TV works fine , I just think it sounds sh1te.

They saw the TV work , they were happy with it , end of story.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,228 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

If something is bought brand new from a shop then it's buyer beware. There are no statutory rights for brand new stuff unless faulty. The original buyer expected/hoped to return the TV if he did not like it, people are just asking the question if he is happy for the person he sold it to to have the same expectation/hope

If something is bought brand new from a shop then it's buyer beware. There are no statutory rights for brand new stuff unless faulty. The original buyer expected/hoped to return the TV if he did not like it, people are just asking the question if he is happy for the person he sold it to to have the same expectation/hope

Not correct. There are quite a few situations where you can seek redress even for perfectly non-faulty items. One example is where you specified a particular requirement but the item supplied didn't meet that requirement, i.e. not fit for purpose, another more obvious situation is where the item didn't match the description. A third is where you buy using distance selling, you have a legal right to change your mind within 7 days of delivery. And it doesn't matter if the item is brand new or not, your consumer rights are the same.

^^^ which is why I said in a shop

If you asked for a fantastic sounding TV then I think you might have a case although this is subjective and apparantly the OP did not ask for this

If something is bought brand new from a shop then it's buyer beware.
    Not sure you know what buyer beware means.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buyer_beware
    There are no statutory rights for brand new stuff unless faulty
    Is there any post on this thread saying otherwise?
    The original buyer expected/hoped to return the TV if he did not like it, people are just asking the question if he is happy for the person he sold it to to have the same expectation/hope
    Why should somebody buying something as second hand from a private seller have the same expectation as a purchaser buying from a shop?
    Like I said (and the OP said the purchaser did) the purchaser can try the second hand item out before buying to determine if there is anything they're not happy with. Then they can haggle or not purchase the item. Seems straightforward to me.

Not sure you know what buyer beware means.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buyer_beware

Is there any post on this thread saying otherwise?

Why should somebody buying something as second hand from a private seller have the same expectation as a purchaser buying from a shop?
    Like I said (and the OP said the purchaser did) the purchaser can try the second hand item out before buying to determine if there is anything they're not happy with. Then they can haggle or not purchase the item. Seems straightforward to me.

I know what buyer beware means, are you suggesting there are laws that allow you to return an item bought in a shop if you do not like it?

^^^ which is why I said in a shop
    I don't see how that reinforces your claim that there are no statutory rights for brand new stuff unless faulty. Can you explain further?
    In fact buying in a shop i.e. a retailer (physical or online) as opposed to a private seller, is precisely where you gain the benefit of your rights.
    If you asked for a fantastic sounding TV then I think you might have a case although this is subjective and apparantly the OP did not ask for this
    If that was your specification then it is indeed subjective and likely not enforceable. But your claim was not specific to the OPs case and was likely to mislead others into thinking they have no rights if they buy a non-faulty new item in a shop.

I know what buyer beware means

Nope. You said Buyer Beware was applicable in a shop.
    As you were wrong saying that I thought you didn't know what you were talking about.
    Now you say you do. Grand. Buyer Beware still isn't applicable in a shop. Maybe you could post some link to say where you found that information that says it is applicable.
    are you suggesting there are laws that allow you to return an item bought in a shop if you do not like it?

Absolutely not. Can you quote anywhere where I said that or anything like that or even implied anything like that? Or are you making stuff up now?

slimjimmc wrote: »

If that was your specification then it is indeed subjective and likely not enforceable. But your claim was not specific to the OPs case and was likely to mislead others into thinking they have no rights if they buy a non-faulty new item in a shop.

My response was to a post that was specific to the OPs case

• Advertisement

Absolutely not. Can you quote anywhere where I said that or anything like that or even implied anything like that? Or are you making stuff up now?

So far, we have established that there is no legal requirement for a shop (physical) to refund or replace or credit you for change of mind even though the OP would have liked to change their mind. The question was posed is the OP extending that expectation to the person who bought their TV?

The answer is, of course, no. Some shops (physical) will offer the refund/exchange/credit as good customer service not as a legal entitlement

Advertisement