Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best album of 2013 (so far)

• 24-08-2013 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

What has been your favorite album of this year so far?

For me, it has to be the The National, Trouble Will Find Me.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

It has to be "...Like Clockwork" for me.

Still plenty of time though for that to change with Arctic Monkeys and Arcade Fire's new albums due out soon enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Everything Everything - Arc

The only album out of the ones I was looking forward to that didn't let me down even slightly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Kurt Vile - Wakin On A Pretty Daze

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSh5ZJd7DnE

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Has to be Sunbather by Deafheaven for me.

Push The Sky Away by Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds for me.
    Although I'm hoping the upcoming Arcade Fire album will live up to expectations and be top of my 'End of Year' list. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭O'Neill

For me, it's either Fade by Yo La Tengo or North Borders By Bonobo.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

RA The Rugged Man - Legends Never Die (It's hip hop) is my favourite so far.

YLT as mentioned just above would be my fav alt/indie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

mbv - My Bloody Valentine

The Vampire Weekend record is a lovely thing also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Frito

The Terror by The Flaming Lips. Really grown on me, and a great live album.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

Phosphorescent - Muchacho

constantly on my playlist

anyone else think its a disappointing year so far in general

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭smacg

Vampire Weekend for me though I havent listened to many new albums this year so will give one or two posted on here a listen.

The trouble with best of lists is everyone seems to think something different, because everyone has different tastes, so theres not usually a consensus. Which means the only way to find out which new albums you really like are by listening to them all!

Phosphorescent - Muchacho

constantly on my playlist

anyone else think its a disappointing year so far in general

Nope. Been lots of really good albums this year. My Bloody Valentine, Phosphorescent, Julia Holter, Julainna Barwick, The Knife, The National, Vampire Weekend, Boards of Canada, Camera Obscura, **** Buttons, Iron and Wine.....the list goes on. Been a very good year thus far tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

That Julainna Barwick album is close to usurping The Knife for my top spot and it's only out. Going to see her tomorrow too.

The new Chelsea Wolfe album is fantastic too and I'd imagine will be up there come the end of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

I'm going to abstain from picking a favourite at this point but there's quite a few albums running for the top spot. My favourites of the year so far in no particular order would be My Bloody Valentine, The Knife, No Joy, Julia Holter, Stara Rzeka and Boards of Canada.

There's quite a lot of new releases in the coming months that I'm looking forward to as well, such as the new albums from Mazzy Star and Sebadoh, so it's going to be one hell of a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭iomega

If I have to pick one, Ducktails - The Flower Lane

Also really like

Widowspeak - Almanac
    Phoenix - Bankrupt
    Solar bears - Supermigration
    Umberto - Confrontations
    Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Mosquito

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Footoo

Foxygen - We are the 21st century ambassadors....... Has been my favourite so far.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I'm going to abstain from picking a favourite at this point but there's quite a few albums running for the top spot. My favourites of the year so far in no particular order would be My Bloody Valentine, The Knife, No Joy, Julia Holter, Stara Rzeka and Boards of Canada.

There's quite a lot of new releases in the coming months that I'm looking forward to as well, such as the new albums from Mazzy Star and Sebadoh, so it's going to be one hell of a year.

Wow - didn't know that, nice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Caonima

'Wait to Pleasure' by No Joy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

Was really hoping Wampire Curiosity would be better than it is ..With one of the best songs of the year the hearse kicking off the album I was hoping for more of the same but while its still good nothing quite hits the heights of the single. They are playing London soon but no Dublin date ..would be awesome to see them in whelans.
    The free album from Bend has some great tracks but the album suffers from inconsistency.
    The well received national album from what I heard is a bit too dark for me..and really apart from them have not listened to that many albums this year..QOTSA is one I will make effort to hear soon.Unless Im driving I tend not to listen to full albums at home.
    The forthcoming album and tour by Frankie Rose could well be awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Synek

Atoms for Peace - Amok

Can't wait for more electronic stuff from Thom and pals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

S.M.B. wrote: »
    That Julainna Barwick album is close to usurping The Knife for my top spot and it's only out. Going to see her tomorrow too.

The new Chelsea Wolfe album is fantastic too and I'd imagine will be up there come the end of the year.

Chelsea Wolfe, Julianna Barwick and The Knife all in one post, Loving that! Now if you listen to Soap&Skin as well, that just makes you the sh1t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

based on what I've listened to the most its probably the Kurt Vile record

I've also really liked Deerhunter, Vampire Weekend and Public Service Broadcasting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

nocoverart wrote: »
    Chelsea Wolfe, Julianna Barwick and The Knife all in one post, Loving that! Now if you listen to Soap&Skin as well, that just makes you the sh1t.
    Looking back those 3 have put on my favourite 3 live performances of the year too.

The Juliannna Barwick show last week was fantastic. The addition of of a choir and a right hand man to her live setup has made a massive difference.

As for Soap&Skin? Seeing her perform live was one of the most memorable (not just live music) experiences I've had in recent years. I was floored after her show.

I was expecting a new album from her this year but it's not looking likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

This..

http://thevenetiafair.bandcamp.com/

Every Sick, Disgusting Thought We've Got In Our Brain
    by The Venetia Fair

think user friendly mars volta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Public Service Broadcasting
    Kurt Vile
    Cloud Control
    Junip

Yuck have a new album soon too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Yuck have a new album soon too.
    I'm a bit worried about this one considering that their frontman Daniel Blumberg left the band earlier in the year. That's usually the death blow for most bands. Their self-titled debut was great but it's hard to see the three remaining members top it without him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Arctic Monkeys AM by the far the best I've listened too
    QOTSA was great too. As was Vampire Weekends new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Tall Saint

For me, Local Natives' album "Hummingbird" just edges out The National's, "Trouble Will Find Me". In the last few days I purchased the Vampire Weekend and Ron Sexsmith albums. Enjoying them both so far, can't see either taking over the top spot though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Rory1

Not much of a consensus amongst us all.

I'm surprised so few have mentioned The National, Trouble Will Find Me. I have listened to Pink Rabbits 72 times.

Rory1 wrote: »

I'm surprised so few have mentioned The National, Trouble Will Find Me. I have listened to Pink Rabbits 72 times.

I suspect that's because it's not everyone's favourite album of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Has to be AM by Arctic Monkeys.

mosstin wrote: »
    I suspect that's because it's not everyone's favourite album of the year.

<Snip>

Of course its not everyone's favorite album, I was just surprised more people dont share my view. Nothing wrong with that.

Easy on the insults please - Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

I'm a bit worried about this one considering that their frontman Daniel Blumberg left the band earlier in the year. That's usually the death blow for most bands. Their self-titled debut was great but it's hard to see the three remaining members top it without him.

Didn't know that, but their new track is real nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Tall Saint

I've probably listened to it more than 72 at this stage :P
    It's a fantastic song and my favourite song by the National. I was guessing their album would be my no.1 too but the Local Natives one swept me away, I just favour it fractionally. But I am also surprised Trouble Will Find Me isn't more people's choice for top spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭keith_d99

London Grammar - If you Wait

<Snip>

Of course its not everyone's favorite album, I was just surprised more people dont share my view. Nothing wrong with that.

Easy on the insults please - Mod

Insults???? What have I missed? And why?

Insults???? What have I missed? And why?

If you didnt read post before the snip then no one was insulted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Haven't listened to much new stuff, but Carrier by The Dodos is bloody great so it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

TWISBPAIANLATD - Whenever, If Ever
    Captain, We're Sinking - The Future is Cancelled
    The Wonder Years - The Greatest Generation
    Jon Hopkins - Immunity
    Owen - L'ami du Peuple
    Grouper - The man Who Died in His Boat
    Baths - Obsidian

• Advertisement

I've only had it a few days but already 'Dream River' by Bill Callahan is shaping up to be one of the best records I've heard this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Prettyblack

Its been a good year for music - lots of albums by big artists.

I really liked MBV, as mentioned before. Also notable were Sigur Ros, Boards of Canada, Daft Punk, and Beady Eye.

So far I have yet to pick up new ones by Washed Out, John Mayer, Mazzy Star, KOL, Paul McCartney, Pearl Jam, AM, and Goldfrapp so there's quite a way to go.

My favourite so far? MBV probably. BOC was close but ultimately I found it disappointing as it didn't really go anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭bellinter

for me, so far....

Neko Case
    Vampire Weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I've only had it a few days but already 'Dream River' by Bill Callahan is shaping up to be one of the best records I've heard this year.

Did not know he had something new out.

seachto7 wrote: »
    Did not know he had something new out.

Yup. Opener 'The Sing' contains the line of the year for me. Gorgeous song. He also plays the Olympia on February 2nd next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

I've been listening to the Mark Kozelek/Desertshore album a lot.
    The lyrics are often just a compendium of his day, but the delivery makes it work for me. Good mix of slow/upbeat songs too.

The new Bill Callahan album could still be up there but so far a lot of the lyrics have failed to click with me and I'm not sure about the choice of instruments, I'm finding the flutes off-putting. That said, "Small Plane" is a pretty special song.

smokedeels wrote: »
    I've been listening to the Mark Kozelek/Desertshore album a lot.
    The lyrics are often just a compendium of his day, but the delivery makes it work for me. Good mix of slow/upbeat songs too.

The new Bill Callahan album could still be up there but so far a lot of the lyrics have failed to click with me and I'm not sure about the choice of instruments, I'm finding the flutes off-putting. That said, "Small Plane" is a pretty special song.

Well there ya go. I'm loving the flute sound on this record. And yes, 'Small Plane' is stunning.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 kingsriver64

My favourite alum so far this year is Big Inner by Mathew E White. I haven't heard many of the albums mentioned earlier in this thread, apart from The National and MBV. I was a little disappointed by The National, didn't think it showed any progress from the previous album, which I loved. And I was really disappointed by the Bowie album, which got rave reviews but obviously it didn't grab anyone here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

What's the general consensus on Phoenix - Bankrupt? I think it's great but no one else seems that bothered by it.

Other than that, The Bones Of What You Believe or The North Borders are both top class

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Chvrches - The Bones of What You Believe would get my vote.

• Advertisement
Advertisement