Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best album of 2013 (so far)

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

sydthebeat wrote: »
    preferred apocolypse

I agree but still doesn't take away from Dream River being great

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭PanaDrama

Vampire Weekend for me.

Got a hipster backlash with their second album but delivered a standout long player from start to finish with most band's 'difficult' third album.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭mosstin

Repave by Volcano Choir is a really good album.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

I started listening to "Shade Perennial" by Bottomless Pit this week. The band contains 2/3 of the final Silkworm line-up. I'm really enjoying it so far, one of the two guitarists plays a baritone, great interplay between them, creates a nice sound. Well worth checking out.

I got the new Melvins album "Tres Cabrones" too, it's a fun listen if you're already a fan.

mosstin wrote: »
    It's their best since 'And Then Nothing....' for sure but there are still three or four fillers. Looking forward to seeing them in Dublin next month.

Did you enjoy the gig?

I thought it was amazing, they never disappoint.

Agree with you on Fade. I like how cohesive it is, for all their style hopping brilliance it's nice to hear an album that flows together well.

smokedeels wrote: »
    Did you enjoy the gig?

I thought it was amazing, they never disappoint.

Agree with you on Fade. I like how cohesive it is, for all their style hopping brilliance it's nice to hear an album that flows together well.

Best gig I've been to this year. Set list was wonderful and I love the idea of the two sets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭deisedude

Really enjoyed the newest albums from The National and Vampire Weekend. Speedy Ortiz album was an absolute gem also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Honourable mentions:
    Arcade Fire - Reflektor (good album, just not as good as what came before)
    Disagree with this completely, copy of my post from the arcade fire thread:

Has to be their best album. You can see them achieving maturity as a band. Singing about the same themes as in Funeral, Suburbs and Neon Bible - love, loss. death - but there's just so much more there. In Funeral they were obsessed with (and terrified by) the inescapabilty of death, in Suburbs they avoided death entirely by retreating to their childhoods [In the backseat was the perfect link-song between the two]. Reflektor recognises the truth in that Who line, 'Let's get together before we get much older'. Very humanist. They square up to death and say bring it on! Epic stuff. Track wise, afterlife is the standout track of the year for me and awful sound is possibly one of the greatest sounds the Arcade Fire have produced to date.

I like Vampire Weekend and the Arctic Monkey's but there is just no way they or anything they have ever produced is on a par with Arcade Fire. Definitely a band people will look back on in 20, 30 years time and appreciate as one of the all time greats, for me they already easily are.

K4t wrote: »
    Disagree with this completely, copy of my post from the arcade fire thread:

Has to be their best album. You can see them achieving maturity as a band. Singing about the same themes as in Funeral, Suburbs and Neon Bible - love, loss. death - but there's just so much more there. In Funeral they were obsessed with (and terrified by) the inescapabilty of death, in Suburbs they avoided death entirely by retreating to their childhoods [In the backseat was the perfect link-song between the two]. Reflektor recognises the truth in that Who line, 'Let's get together before we get much older'. Very humanist. They square up to death and say bring it on! Epic stuff. Track wise, afterlife is the standout track of the year for me and awful sound is possibly one of the greatest sounds the Arcade Fire have produced to date.

I like Vampire Weekend and the Arctic Monkey's but there is just no way they or anything they have ever produced is on a par with Arcade Fire. Definitely a band people will look back on in 20, 30 years time and appreciate as one of the all time greats, for me they already easily are.

Disagree with this completely but I don't have a previous post with which to reference it. No matter how you dress it up, 'Reflektor' is overblown and overdone. It contains some of the worst songs they've ever recorded - how bad is 'You Already Know' - and none of their best. 'Reflektor', 'Afterlife' and a couple of others are worthy but there's simply too much filler on there.
    In 20-30 years people will wonder what happened to Arcade Fire after 'Funeral'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭6am7f9zxrsjvnb

mosstin wrote: »
    Disagree with this completely but I don't have a previous post with which to reference it. No matter how you dress it up, 'Reflektor' is overblown and overdone. It contains some of the worst songs they've ever recorded - how bad is 'You Already Know' - and none of their best. 'Reflektor', 'Afterlife' and a couple of others are worthy but there's simply too much filler on there.
    In 20-30 years people will wonder what happened to Arcade Fire after 'Funeral'.
    Apart from the sublime Neihborhood 1 and Rebellion (Lies) I find Funeral shouty and pretentious. Neon Bible is worse,makes U2 sound as twee as Belle & Sebastian.

Then they got really good............The Suburbs is a modern classic,and most of Reflektor is stunning-definitely one of the best albums of 2013!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

back on topic

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭One_More_Mile

Top 10 for me, Arcade fire album is outstanding

Arcade Fire-reflector
    Artic Monkeys- AM
    The national- Trouble will find me
    Vampire Weekend-Modern vampires of the city
    Local Natives-hummingbird
    Edward sharpe and the magnetic zeros
    Phospherous-muchacho
    Iron and wine-ghost on ghost
    White Lies- Big TV
    Chvrches-the bones of what you believe

Honourable Mentions: John Grant, MBV, Nick Cave, Villagers, Little Green Cars,Low, Sigur Ros,Kurt Vile.. Great year all told

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭nagirrac

Reflektor by a country mile, and it's Arcade Fire's pinnacle so far for the doubters, just listen to it on repeat. Funeral is great, and a few songs on Suburbs get close, but Refector is classic start to finish. "AM" and "Trouble will find me" are honorable seconds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

It took me a while to get into Reflektor, love it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭dream brother

8 pages in and no one mentioning Anna Calvi's One Breathe!! Shameful!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

8 pages in and no one mentioning Anna Calvi's One Breathe!! Shameful!!

*hangs head in shame, considers handing in alt/indie badge, promises to do 100 hours of reading pitchfork reviews

metacritic include speedy ortiz, money and ex-cops, all verifiable indie bands in their top debut albums of 2013, must give all three bands a listen before completing my end of year list - anyone heard the albums from the aforementioned three?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭deisedude

donfers wrote: »
    *hangs head in shame, considers handing in alt/indie badge, promises to do 100 hours of reading pitchfork reviews

metacritic include speedy ortiz, money and ex-cops, all verifiable indie bands in their top debut albums of 2013, must give all three bands a listen before completing my end of year list - anyone heard the albums from the aforementioned three?

Speedy Ortiz is a grunge pop gem

Might have been listed already but I'm loving Deafheaven's 'Sunbather'. Not a fan of black metal per se but this is frequently wonderful.
    Oh and Pitchfork have spoken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Not an album but the new Burial EP is a late runner for one of my favourites this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

best album Arctic Monkeys - AM/ Vampire Weekend- Modern Vampires of the City
    best EP Eyedress- Supernatural
    For me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ElaElaElano

In no particular order:

John Grant - Pale Green Ghosts
    Frightened Rabbit - Pedestrian Verse
    Chvrches - The Bones of What you Believe
    Disclosure - Settle
    Villagers - {Awayland}
    The National - Trouble Will Find Me
    Little Green Cars - Absolute Zero
    Arcade Fire - Reflektor
    Daughter - If You Leave
    Local Natives - Hummingbird
    ASIWYFA - All Hail Bright Futures
    Enemies - Embark, Embrace
    This Town Needs Guns - 13.0.0.0.0
    Youth Lagoon - Wondrous Bughouse

My Top 5 of the year

My Bloody Valentine - m b v
    Future of the Left - How to Stop your Brain in an Accident
    Boards of Canada - Tomorrow's Harvest
    Bill Callahan - Dream River
    (I want to include some Hip-Hop, best thing I've heard from that genre is..)
    Chance the Rapper - Acid Rap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,266 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

mbv

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

steven wilson: the raven that refused to sing

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Rival Dealer by Burial is definitely up there for me. Can't stop listening to it.

• Advertisement

'got around to listening to the P1ssed Jeans album..

i dig it.... enjoying the "stretched out" tracks more.

The guitar on "you're different (in person)" is one of my favorite 2013 musical things...

Jesus Lizard, Cows... Harvey Milk fans will probably enjoy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭garra

Sigur Ros - Valtari

Thanks for your contributions in this thread, got some aural catching up to do over Xmas :o

garra wrote: »
    Sigur Ros - Valtari

Thanks for your contributions in this thread, got some aural catching up to do over Xmas :o

Kveikur was their 2013 release though. Valtari was 2012. Beautiful record though - for me much stronger than Kveikur.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

2013 has been a great year for music across many genres. One that has stuck out for me over the last few weeks and has had a huge amount of play around the house is 'Until In Excess, Imperceptible UFO' by The Besnard Lakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 EVOL1991

My top 10 in no particular order would be:

Chelsea Wolfe: Pain is Beauty
    Tim Hecker: Virgins
    Laurel Halo: Chance of Rain
    My Bloody Valentine: m b v
    Boards of Canada: Tomorrow's Harvest
    Grouper: The Man Who Died in His Boat
    Sigur Rós: Kveikur
    Arcade Fire: Reflektor
    Iceage: You're Nothing
    Oneohtrix Point Never: R Plus Seven

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

Listening to Burial - Rival Dealer based on Gonzovisions post above.
    Have to say that i agree totally. Starting to listen to his previous work. Top drawer stuff and I see today that Pitchfork has Rival Dealer EP listed as 9/10.

Advertisement