Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HP 54520A 500Mhz Oscilloscope

• 24-08-2013 8:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭

Hey All,

I've been getting into electronics as a hobby and I'm starting to get serious about it and am in the market for an Oscilloscope. I've been looking at all the usuall e.g

Rigol DS1102E
    OWON SDS7102V
    Hantek DSO5102B

I then found a second hand HP (Agilent) 54520A for a similar price to the above ones. It went for a couple of grand new. I'm quite new to this so am looking for advice from anybody with expierence. Is the Agilent worth it? Is the deal too good to be true or should I go for one of the others. Or maybe something that I haven't mentioned. Any advice would be great.

John.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

How much are you looking at spending?

You can pick up a ds1052e for well under 300 euro and firmware upgrade it to 100MHz if you wanted. They're still great for the money.

The HP would look great sitting on the bench but it's still an old scope so despite its high bandwidth the specs aren't hugely impressive. Also you'll probably be screwed if anything happens to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭clearz

I'm looking at spending around the 300 mark. I know what your saying about parts but I can see at least a few for sale on ebay for parts. Bar the Rigol wouldn't these Chinese scopes be basically 'throw away if broke' anyway especially if bought from China which I would do since they are a lot cheaper.

You say the HP specs aren't that impressive. In relation to the other scopes where does it stand.

It's not that they're not impressive but they would only be comparable to the specs of the entry level digital scopes now.

Chet T16 wrote: »
    It's not that they're not impressive but they would only be comparable to the specs of the entry level digital scopes now.

I understand. Which would you go for in my position?

I had a DS1052E and couldn't fault it. Under 300 with no customs worry here

The reason i went for it originally was because it was so popular, most electronics vids on youtube seem to have one in the background!

• Advertisement

Chet T16 wrote: »
    I had a DS1052E and couldn't fault it. Under 300 with no customs worry here

The reason i went for it originally was because it was so popular, most electronics vids on youtube seem to have one in the background!

Your right about the Rigol being popular on youtube. It seems to come highly recommended by almost everyone that has used it. The free upgrade to 100Mhz is also a deal sweetener.

Advertisement