Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Chipper near St Pat Cathedral?

Options
  • 24-08-2013 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭

I know it seems a bit silly starting another thread so close to my other one, but its totally different

from the longer residing members of this area, whats your favourite chipper?

Haven't seen on really yet, but i rate a good battered sausage and nice home cut chips for a good price...like a 5r meal kinda thing..

any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

A five minute walk will take you up to Meath Street where a snackbox from Fusco's is the best!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Don't forget Burdocks now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

quite liked the chip shop at the start of james st/end of Thomas street. forgot the name though been there over 40 years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

quite liked the chip shop at the start of james st/end of Thomas street. forgot the name though been there over 40 years

The Fountain? Though that my be a bit far for the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

I think it is morellis -haven't bee there for a while though

also probably too far as well!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

Maldesu wrote: »
    The Fountain? Though that my be a bit far for the OP.

ah man looking for chips wont go far :P

ah no just be concerned they'd be gone cold...somewhere around ten minutes from the cathedral

(i realise thats now two thread tonight regarding me not walking)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

There is Roma chipper at the start of the Coombe/end of Francis st. Closest chipper to where you are. They do good chips, kebabs and pizzas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Got to be Burdocks.

Burdocks seems to be winning..

gonna try em out today.

any recommendations?

Burdocks is 5 mins away and has magical chips!

Thanks for the help guys! That'll be my local then :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Just avoid the greasy gluppy crap from Burdocks and you won't go far wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Am I the only one that think's Burdocks is highly overrated?

Chips are fine (better chips from the Bistro chipper on Clanbrassil st) but the fish is average and really heavily battered....and on top of that its about 2-3 euro more expensive than you'd normally find.

It's living off its "Ye old Dublin" type reputation, it seems to me people can't tell you quick how great Burdocks is as to somehow enhance their Dublinness

• Registered Users Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Haven't had the Burdocks in Christchurch for years but the ones in Phibsboro and Liffey Street are poor enough. Nowhere near as nice as how I remembered the original one. The Friary on Usher's Quay does good fish and chips

one thing i noticed about burdocks was the price...nearly 6€ for chips and a battered sausage, no drink.

might give the Friary a look in...i know ushers quay isnt that far either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Burdocks chips with the crispy battered bits in them are the bomb.
    At 2.90 iirc, it's in the 'higher range' of chip prices.
    But there's "nothing worse" than a soggy undercooked shyte bag of chips , is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

The Bistro is by far the best chipper near you, just up on Clanbrassil St, about 10 minute walk. They do some serious deals.

The Bistro is by far the best chipper near you, just up on Clanbrassil St, about 10 minute walk. They do some serious deals.

The chips are divine

Not to be confused with the nearby Bistro on the South Circular

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    The chips are divine

Not to be confused with the nearby Bistro on the South Circular

Same owner, and generally the same staff. Pizzas in Bistro have changed, was gutted when I seen the new thick based ones!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

And the girls serving are mostly gorgeous, Clanbrassil St anyway. Use both, never seen same staff.

Same owner, and generally the same staff. Pizzas in Bistro have changed, was gutted when I seen the new thick based ones!

Wow didn't know that, always found the one on Clanbrassil St far superior

• Advertisement

Birneybau wrote: »
    And the girls serving are mostly gorgeous, Clanbrassil St anyway. Use both, never seen same staff.

Was actually in the one on Clanbrassil St tonight, seems like they have a new girl working there and no Jerry anymore (old chap that made the pizzas). Must be "static" these days with the staff in the two chippers.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

Bistro is a great chipper (Clanbrassil Street), its one of the best i've ever eaten from....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

Birneybau wrote: »

Is that the same place that's also (used to be?) called Osvaldos?? That's how I know it anyway. Haven't been there in a few years but the two girls (the owners daughters I assume) were two of the best looking women I ever did see. Used to go in for chips even if I wasn't hungry!

Yep thats the one Econoline.
    Suprising how good they look especially when you consider the environment, but the food is great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Are we really discussing how good looking the girls working in the chippers are? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

January wrote: »
    Are we really discussing how good looking the girls working in the chippers are? :rolleyes:

Well, if you ever saw them...:)

And the chips are good too.....

Advertisement