Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 week old kittens

• 24-08-2013 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭

My cat had kittens 3 weeks ago. They seem to be doing well star ringing to walk around all eyes open except one kitten only has one eye open the other is a little crusty looking. Is this normal? Also when should I start feeding them. Mother cat ignored them a lot this evening and 3 drank milk from her bowl. Is this ok? Sorry for bad text I'm on my phone.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

That is the start of cat flu. You need to bring them to a vet and start them on an antibiotic or their eyes could be permanently damaged. If one kitten is showing signs, they are all brewing it. They will have gotten it off mom. They are too young to start weaning them just yet. Your vet will advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭carfiosaoorl

Mother cat isn't sick at all very healthy and her eyes are clean and bright. Would she nit be sick first for kittens to catch it. They are all indoor cats but mother cat got out a few times obviously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

As far as I know you shouldn't give cats milk it's not good for them and definitely the kittens shouldn't be drinking it I think it could cause all sorts of tummy probs for them, at the very least I would phone the vet and ask for advice and ummmm....maybe get mummy cat spayed?

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭inocybe

Mating is the biggest vector for transferring diseases in cats. Your mother cat could now be carrying feline aids, feline leukemia or a whole host of nasties that cause cat flu. Mother and kittens should see a vet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Mother cat would have had a form of cat flu in the past, recovered and now shows no symptoms, but she still sheds the virus either all the time or at times of stress (e.g. pregnancy and nursing) and that is how the kittens picked it up. Don't wait until it gets worse. Right now it will be easy to treat and should resolve with a short course of antibiotics.

• Advertisement
Advertisement