Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIRC National Horse Trials

Options
  • 24-08-2013 10:12pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So, who is travelling to the sunny south east?

Sat Nav: Lat 52.714563 Long -6.789097

Cross Country Designer: Mr Tommy Brennan (and a few of extras ...)

Course Description: Set mainly on grassland

Location and Directions:

Turn off the M9 at Junction 5. Take the first exit on the roundabout onto the N80 for Rosslare.
    Follow road for Approx 6 miles to Ballon village.
    Event signposted from roundabout leaving Ballon village.

We hope you will enjoy your trip to Co. Carlow!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

when is it on? I thought Barrow Valley ODE was on this weekend?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

It's on next weekend , the 1st. Barrow Valley is on today alright. Tomorrow is the last day to enter online for the Nationals.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭elusiveguy

I am.... getting nervous :( :eek: :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

You'll be grand, what grade are you? Lovely course, we have some "extras" to add in too.

You'll be grand, what grade are you? Lovely course, we have some "extras" to add in too.

AP Champs. Love Ballon but the Owl Hole caused us an unexpected issue at the Russelstown ODE so I'm a little edgy!!!!!

Are you involved with the venue or the AIRC?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭bob1984

Best of luck EG - I am sure you will be flying it!

Its my favourite event of the year, I get a buzz even thiking about it!! Some very happy memories through the years :)

Hopefully we will back in the coming years again!

bob1984 wrote: »
    Best of luck EG - I am sure you will be flying it!

Its my favourite event of the year, I get a buzz even thiking about it!! Some very happy memories through the years :)

Hopefully we will back in the coming years again!

Fingers crossed! We've had a good year so this would be a nice bonus and it will probably be our last AP outing too! A rosette would just be a lovely keepsake of our first eventing season :)

elusiveguy wrote: »
    AP Champs. Love Ballon but the Owl Hole caused us an unexpected issue at the Russelstown ODE so I'm a little edgy!!!!!

Are you involved with the venue or the AIRC?
    Venue and club, not sure if the owl hole is in for Ap, I think it's not for the ordinary AP, not sure re championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭paddi22

do you know when dressage times go up?

paddi22 wrote: »
    do you know when dressage times go up?

Saturday night going by how the AIRC usually operate :mad:

Jokes aside, for the National Hunter Trial it was late Friday afternoon I think
    Venue and club, not sure if the owl hole is in for Ap, I think it's not for the ordinary AP, not sure re championship.

Oh if its in, he's going over it and that's that!!! :P

The last time there it seemed to cause A LOT of issues in the AP. My lad picked up in front and went to go but changed his mind and ended up with his legs in the birch.... I hung on until he lifted himself out :( it'll be arse in the saddle all the way over they next time I do it!!!

Someone said something about shadows hiding the sheep in the other side or something.... Dunno what it was but he's not a stopper at all so I think I totally allowed it to happen or even caused it somehow.

• Advertisement

Times are up :)
    LINK

best of luck to all :D

And they're gone again...

There was an issue about the times, so apparently they have been taken down. Our lads busy building show jumping today and doing fences lists etc.

There was an issue about the times, so apparently they have been taken down. Our lads busy building show jumping today and doing fences lists etc.

I saw the pictures.... very prepared :D

booo crap day :(

Horse just was not into it at all :( middling dressage, fabulous SJ(Only the 3rd clear in the last 18 months) but the most uncomfortable XC I've ever had, topped off with a run out at a very straight forward fence :( He was sticky and backwards and just horrible which is not like him at all.... Finished on 57...

back to the drawing board :(

and nice to meet you, byhookorbycrook, even if it was brief! This meeting people from the internet business always makes me very shy :D

few pics

1240050_10151569210261691_482306174_n.jpg

1235390_10151569210981691_1083418829_n.jpg

1187186_10151569195686691_1358416066_n.jpg

1240584_10151569197151691_1768861907_n.jpg

1239554_10151569197646691_1118007115_n.jpg

1186710_10151569198396691_1982233820_n.jpg

1238733_10151569203366691_1090041612_n.jpg

Unfortunately to hear it didnt go your way EG;

I had a run like that a few years back at the Championships :( and its not a nice way to end the season;

That being said - just time to regroup and plan for next year :D

bob1984 wrote: »
    Unfortunately to hear it didnt go your way EG;

I had a run like that a few years back at the Championships :( and its not a nice way to end the season;

That being said - just time to regroup and plan for next year :D

To be honest I think there's something more to it. He's not a lazy or unwilling horse and he LOVES jumping. There's a professional pic from near where I had issues and he looks like he's not able to jump its so bad.... He's sound and happy enough in himself so I don't think its serious but we'll see over the next few days. I'm not overly worried but he'll be well checked and spoiled after his few days off to ensure nothing is amiss

Assuming it was an off-day and nothing more, I was going to upgrade and I'm still gonna go ahead with SJ and DR but gonna see how we feel about hunter trials before I go for the the XC upgrade

I think with the other 2, we need more of a challenge to keep us going.... I need tougher dressage to make me work and he prefers(and I think it shows in the SJ photos :D) to jump bigger stuff....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Sorry to hear things didn't go as well as you hoped - it's always such a let down when it happens and can make you doubt everything you are doing/have done during the preparation. Do you think your horse could be starting to 'feel the ground'? He wouldn't necessarily be showing signs of soreness or lameness, but, a bit like ourselves, he wouldn't be feeling quite right but yet not show any signs of anything wrong.

Lovely pics, by the way! :)

Sorry it didn't go your way. Great pics though. Maybe a bit of a rest for ye both or nice hacks ,sounds like ye had a busy year. Long day for our club, glad it's over- apart from anything else I only saw the inside of the shed all day, bar a 3 minute dash to the portaloo between office queries.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭paddi22

great day, really well organised. Cross country was a lovely flowing course, really enjoyed it!

• Advertisement

paddi22 wrote: »
    great day, really well organised. Cross country was a lovely flowing course, really enjoyed it!

Want to reiterate this, everything ran incredibly well and was a credit to everyone involved.... All the xc courses looked fabulous too

@convert we've developed a theory that maybe I didn't take his haynet away from him soon enough before the XC. I usually do quite a short warm up for XC just loosen him out and a little trot before a jump or two.

Thinking maybe he was lethargic at the start and maybe started getting a little sore from a full belly towards the end?? Looking at him yesterday he was noticeably slimmer :o so he had deffo had too much hay and I did notice he gorged a bit after SJ...

Its either that or the ground as despite the tough-as-nails old fashioned hunter look he has very sensitive feet! He was sound and moving beautifully on the straight and on a circle last night so whatever it was seems ok thankfully :)

Advertisement