Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currane challenge info?

Options
  • 24-08-2013 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭

Hi Myself and some friend are plannig to take part in the Currane Challenge in October out in Achill. Is anyone familiar with this ? WE are new to duathlons but I've been cycling a few months - would appreciate any advice about the route, type of bike to use, training etc. Thanks !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

dubdub123 wrote: »
    Hi Myself and some friend are plannig to take part in the Currane Challenge in October out in Achill. Is anyone familiar with this ? WE are new to duathlons but I've been cycling a few months - would appreciate any advice about the route, type of bike to use, training etc. Thanks !

Having climbed curran many times, the trail run will be a bitch up near the summit.
    Gets very steep at the top.

Cycling should be fine. I've cycled around their many times on both a mountain bike and a road bike.
    I'd take a road bike. If I can get up minaun on a road bike, you can cycle around the curraun peninsula on one.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭dubdub123

Great thanks for the info -was a bit worried about damaging the road bike but the only other one I have is a very heavy ancient old mountain bike so wouldn't really work with that. Do you have any info on that route by any chance? I'm hoping to pop out one of the days beforehand and check out the route but can't find a map on their website and waiting to hear back from them. Sounds like it will be tough going - don't want to underestimate it as I'm new to these activities but looking forward to it

dubdub123 wrote: »
    Great thanks for the info -was a bit worried about damaging the road bike but the only other one I have is a very heavy ancient old mountain bike so wouldn't really work with that. Do you have any info on that route by any chance? I'm hoping to pop out one of the days beforehand and check out the route but can't find a map on their website and waiting to hear back from them. Sounds like it will be tough going - don't want to underestimate it as I'm new to these activities but looking forward to it

I don't know the route but it will most likely involve most of the currane peninsula.
    Cycling wise the curraun penninsula is relatively flat with a few rises. The cycling part shouldn't be too difficult. Maybe contact the organiser to see what the route is.
    The running trail however will be tough. If you're a runner, but never done trail running before, I'd be getting a good few runs up in the mountains done.

Great thanks for that - I've emailed them so hopefully will get a bit more info on the route. Have just taken up running and completed only 2 5K runs and heading for my third one tomorrow. I will probably do a combination of running and walking for currane as I expect it's going to be difficult. I'll try incorporate some more hills in during practise as well and the run tomorrow is very hilly so should give me an indication of where I'm at. thanks so much for the advice. I'll definitely head out that way beforehand and get a feel for the place either way. Thanks

If it is as I think it is and a run to the summit, or close to the summit, you'll get a nice surprise when you see it for the first time. It looks a lot bigger than it actually is.
    Mountain/trail running is a lot different to normal road running (in my experience any) but is a lot more enjoyable.
    If you can get a few runs in on mountainous/hilly terrain and off road, it'll help.

• Advertisement

Great thanks - we had a 6K run locally tonight and it was hilly enough in parts so stepping up a bit. will def try and get out to achill one of the days beforehand and get a bit used to the area. I'm new to running and only just started a series of 5ks/6ks couple of weeks back to lead into this challenge. Hopefully might get a few to come out after these are done to achill and try a short route out there. really looking forward to it and want to be prepared as best I can but with a bit of reality regarding what's involved but looking forward to giving it a try :)

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

I hope you are looking forward to it :D

We'll probably see each other there and the best of luck in it.

Advertisement