Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nosler Rifles

Options
  • 24-08-2013 11:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭

Looking at a Nosler for the next time around. Does anyone have one or any experience?

Thinking about the M48 in 6.5x284.

Better get a side job too...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

Isn't it a howa? Early ones were.
    edi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

At 4x the price, I hope not.

Definitely not going to pay $2000 for a Howa.

... doing research...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I think Nosler are claiming it's proprietary, but the action certainly has the look of a Howa about it... If you're looking to spend that sort of money on a rifle over in the states, I'd be looking at the likes of the Forbes for a cool mountain rifle or the Kimber. The latter is a beauty, and both are lightweights. The Forbes can be had in short action calibres at about 4.75lb bare weight, so call it about 6lb with scope, sling and ammo. Lot to like there!

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

A Howa has a fantastic action design, old style sako. If done properly it is maybe worth the money.
    I would prefer to use a Stiller action and match barrel, had a few in the workshop recently and they are very well made. one day.
    edi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

I think Nosler are claiming it's proprietary, but the action certainly has the look of a Howa about it... If you're looking to spend that sort of money on a rifle over in the states, I'd be looking at the likes of the Forbes for a cool mountain rifle or the Kimber. The latter is a beauty, and both are lightweights. The Forbes can be had in short action calibres at about 4.75lb bare weight, so call it about 6lb with scope, sling and ammo. Lot to like there!
    Hi ,it wasnt me, just how light can factory or custom hunting rifles be got down to .Maybe ejg could give an opinion with his ultra light hunting stocks ?
    Regards,Tomcat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

tomcat220t wrote: »
    Hi ,it wasnt me, just how light can factory or custom hunting rifles be got down to .Maybe ejg could give an opinion with his ultra light hunting stocks ?
    Regards,Tomcat.

Forbes or NULA are the lightest I've found. Would love to feel how they actually handle with a nice lightweight scope appropriate to the build. Apparently their stock geometry, and in particular the Kimber's, keep recoil very manageable. Both of those are using light stocks, but the majority of the trimming has been done with extreme refinements in the action. In the case of the NULA/Forbes, the model numbers are taken from the weight of the action. That means the .308 length action is 20 oz. in total :eek: I'd suspect it takes a bit of thinking and focus to shoot a sub 6lb scoped .308 well, but would be very interesting to see how it feels.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

FISMA wrote: »
    Looking at a Nosler for the next time around. Does anyone have one or any experience?

Thinking about the M48 in 6.5x284.

Better get a side job too...

Was reading in a shooting magazine, can't remember the name, that the Nosler rifles were over-priced and over-rated.

Not saying they didn't shoot well but there was as good and better rifles out there for your hard earned cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

clivej wrote: »
    Was reading in a shooting magazine, can't remember the name, that the Nosler rifles were over-priced and over-rated.

Not saying they didn't shoot well but there was as good and better rifles out there for your hard earned cash.

If you find that article, please advise. I have heard similar stories myself. However, at $2000, it could still be a good deal. I guess it is from Nosler ammunition that I expect the rifle to be a precise shooter.

By the time I: get a Timney trigger, McMillan Stock, and Krieger Barrel in the 700, I'll be at the Nosler's price level, with no guarantee of precision.

Seems like the Nosler is semi-custom. That's tough to beat at $2000.

But then the Next question - "is the Nosler worth two Sako's?" I could have an A7 with a Swaro Z3 for less than the price of a Nosler.

Decisions, decisions. Thankfully, I haven't got the cash to buy either. Hopefully, by the time I do, I'll be more educated on the Noslers. Hoping to get out this week to see and shoot one.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭badshot

clivej wrote: »

yes i read the same article
    think it was in either shooting sports
    or sporting rifle

Advertisement