Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GNS3 - Console problem - help very much appreciated

Options
  • 25-08-2013 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭

I have a pretty basic problem with GNS3 which is preventing me from using it.

The console hangs when I try to open it. I've tried installing GNS3 on two PCs and I get the same result.

With GNS3 installed I add a couple of routers and a switch between them, start the router and select it and select the console option. The console comes up with the instruction to "Press Enter to to get the prompt" but when I do so nothing happens as seen in this pic.

This pic shows my terminal setting if its relevant.

I've the ICND2 exam to do before 30th September and would really like to use GNS3 to revise for it but am already stumped at this point trying to get it to work.
    I'm using a Cisco 2600 image for GNS3.

Any fixes or workarounds or even tips on what to try next would be very much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

Can you try just loading 1 router and see if you can connect to its terminal. GNS3 can be a memory hog. If that doesn't help I'd look at using alternative ios images and see how that works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 NotTheMessiah

Have you applied an idle PC value for the router? This can make a big difference to the CPU usage.

If you cant get it working, Packet Tracer would be another option for you. Not as good as GNS3 but easier to use and would be enough for the ICND2 exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

I was using 2600 ios images and it seems that was the issue. I "acquired" a 7200 image (thanks google) and the terminal opened fine using that so at least I'm up and running. :D

Re: the idle PC value - I only get one option to select when I try and set that (and it isn't an option with an asterisk).

• Registered Users Posts: 28 NotTheMessiah

DeepBlue wrote: »
    I was using 2600 ios images and it seems that was the issue. I "acquired" a 7200 image (thanks google) and the terminal opened fine using that so at least I'm up and running. :D

Re: the idle PC value - I only get one option to select when I try and set that (and it isn't an option with an asterisk).

Nice :)

I think its important to get the idle PC set up otherwise the CPU will be running 100% all the time. If you dont get an option with an asterisk you can try again or try to apply the values without the asterisk. Just keep an eye on your CPU usage to see with value works.

Advertisement