Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish in Mary I!!!

• 25-08-2013 1:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi im doing primary teaching in mary i this year and im just wondering is the irish really difficult and is the majority of the course based around irish? Has the course changed much since its now four years?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Hey there. I'm going into my second year in B.Ed, so I have experience of the new course. You'll have regular Irish lectures that are similar to LC Irish but it's all to do with grammar and Oral with bits of small writing in it (holidays, plans for next summer etc.).

You'll have an Oral exam just like the LC (casual chat, very straight forward) after the Gaeltacht. The grammar aspect is just prep. for the xmas and summer tests. You'll learn about masculine and feminine words, rules for tenses etc. Honestly it's not that difficult. If you've any interest in the subject they'll be very enjoyable.

You'll be asked to buy a grammar book which makes everything that bit easier...one tip though is to keep up your Irish. As long as your Irish is still at a decent level, the Gaeilge module will be fine. The lecturers are very very nice as well so you'll be fine!!

There's also a Múineadh na Gaeilge part to the module which is just about SP/TP...again lecturers are really sound and it's pretty easy and very interesting.

You'll be fine, just take interest and do your work!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

is the majority of the course based around irish?

Definitely not! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Catherine12345

Hey there. I'm going into my second year in B.Ed, so I have experience of the new course. You'll have regular Irish lectures that are similar to LC Irish but it's all to do with grammar and Oral with bits of small writing in it (holidays, plans for next summer etc.).

You'll have an Oral exam just like the LC (casual chat, very straight forward) after the Gaeltacht. The grammar aspect is just prep. for the xmas and summer tests. You'll learn about masculine and feminine words, rules for tenses etc. Honestly it's not that difficult. If you've any interest in the subject they'll be very enjoyable.

You'll be asked to buy a grammar book which makes everything that bit easier...one tip though is to keep up your Irish. As long as your Irish is still at a decent level, the Gaeilge module will be fine. The lecturers are very very nice as well so you'll be fine!!

There's also a Múineadh na Gaeilge part to the module which is just about SP/TP...again lecturers are really sound and it's pretty easy and very interesting.

You'll be fine, just take interest and do your work!

Thanks, that doesn't seem too bad so. Is there anything else that has changed like are the hours the same etc.. Oh and what kind of stuff do they ask you in the orals? Is the gaeilge module the same as arts irish because i dont think that was in the old course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Thanks, that doesn't seem too bad so. Is there anything else that has changed like are the hours the same etc.. Oh and what kind of stuff do they ask you in the orals? Is the gaeilge module the same as arts irish because i dont think that was in the old course.

Hours? Do you mean like times and durations? I'd Irish at 5pm everyday I had it which was a balls but it's alright like...lectures in both are only the normal 40 mins - 1 hour depending on the lecture.

For the oral it's mostly about the Gaeltacht itself...then just the basics: you, where you're from, the course, college life etc. They'll tell ye it anyway in lectures...it's not an on the spot thing. I don't think it's the same tbh, but I'm not sure as I don't do Arts. I'd imagine it's different though, as the Arts peeps would have poetry and stories too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Catherine12345

Hours? Do you mean like times and durations? I'd Irish at 5pm everyday I had it which was a balls but it's alright like...lectures in both are only the normal 40 mins - 1 hour depending on the lecture.

For the oral it's mostly about the Gaeltacht itself...then just the basics: you, where you're from, the course, college life etc. They'll tell ye it anyway in lectures...it's not an on the spot thing. I don't think it's the same tbh, but I'm not sure as I don't do Arts. I'd imagine it's different though, as the Arts peeps would have poetry and stories too.

Oh no sorry i mean like how many hours a week for the whole course, not just irish? yeah okay thanks :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement