Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why am i me?

• 25-08-2013 5:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭

why am i me? why have i been chosen to be this person and not someone else?
    why can i only see things from one perspective (my own) and not multiple perspectives? what are my limits?

i feel like a character in a computer game, where you see everything from only the characters perspective..only that character exists as part of you and everything else is unknown...controlled externally

i've had strange religious questions running around my mind since the age of 3, but they've always been impossible to vocalise, even today. im not sure what im writing is making sense but hopefully someone here can talk to me

that said, i strongly disagree with organised religion, so please no cult/ church stuff, purely spiritual and from ones self, unless you have a very very strong point to make that is not already obvious.... thanks

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

One perspective is that you chose this persona. Youre here to learn, develop, and grow through this set of circumstances. Every experience, good or bad, changes you and hopefully teaches you something, as long as you have the awareness to learn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

You the are universe imagining itself...everything connects to everything else...the universe to the mikyway to the solar system to the sun to the moon to the earth to the air you breath to the seat you sit in to the bones in your body......god IS the whole connected everything and your part of that....you ARE god...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 99 ✭✭angelman121

Hi Shane6989

Why am I me? You are not who you think you are, you are creating an illusion or a dream so that you can awaken to your true nature. And as its an illusion or dream there is no-one else for you to be, it'll all disappear when you die. You have not been chosen by anyone or anything, you have your very own power of choice/creation. You have limited yourself by separating yourself from your true nature which is unlimited peace, love, light and joy. As a human you're limited to creating emptiness, sadness, anger, hate, fear and all the associated thoughts that go with these, like longing, needing, blame, victim, revenge, judgement and the like. This is what separation does.

If you take your character in a computer game analogy - well all you can do is react to your surroundings as they appear in front of you and that is all we do as humans. We react to our outer circumstances by way of feelings and then we respond with actions. The object or goal of the journey (game) is to remain peaceful in all circumstances and surroundings in the full knowledge that it's only an illusion and its purpose is to end separation and return you to creating peace and excepting peace is ENOUGH.

Happy Every Day
    P

• Registered Users Posts: 11 pudy

when a child is born it has a personality .. yes? before it ever meets develops or grows ... that is your soul your true essence. You are You because your life times have made you, you. Energy is neither created or destroyed only transfered you are energy you are part of your mother and your father beacause they gave you the energy to make you. you are the food you eat because it goes into your cells but those things are only your matter not your personality you are a soul, made of source energy from the universe. My Mother had four children raised us all the same yet we are all different ?? we share similar traits but in essence we all think see and feel things different we are different souls. Your Energy doesn't just dissappear when you loose your matter your body.. no!! for example : your bodies cells renew each 8 years ... do you become a totally new person after 8 years ... no! you don't change your total personality, if i cut off your legs tomorrow (i won't i promise ha) you won't loose part of your personality just a part of your body so why do you think if you loose all your body your soul will be lost too ?? I am 19 and everything aside I always had the same questions that no one could answer for me so I took a piece of paper meditated and the answers were showed to me and not all in that moment but I recieved them from different places over a space of time you have started to ask now and that is the first step but all my questions haven't been answered im still being given the answers :) you will get them in wonderful ways :D if you want to see what and how i deal with my questions check out my page on face book angel inspiration (im not like prowling) it might just help a bit :B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

Extract from an interview from Irmansyah Effendi, author and founder of the padmacahaya foundation.

Interview articles of “The Real You” Book in Watkins Body Mind Spirit Magazine (Issue 35/2013).
    Why did you name your book “The Real You”?
    The questions surrounding who we really are and why we are here have been the ultimate topic stirring many philosophers, spiritual seekers and theologists throughout different times and eras for as long as humans existed.
    Many people devote their lives to searching for an answer, yet most seek using their mind, concepts and ideas, while it is only with the heart one can be shown the answer.
    Fulfilling our true purpose of life begins by realizing who we really are, and that is why I named my book The Real You: Beyond Forms and Lives.
    Why did you decide to write this book now?
    I started sharing about opening the heart in workshops in 2000, and I am so grateful that the response has been so positive. We now have over 50,000 alumi from all over the world including UK, Ireland, Germany, Finland, South Ameica, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, Indonesia, Hong Kong, Singapore, India and so on.
    As more and more hearts are opened to True Source, I feel that people are more ready to know deeper truths, and now is the proper time to introduce and reveal the mayo many secrets that exist beyond this human shell.
    Is there anything you would like to share about your book that would be of interest to the readers of this magazine?
    I had been spiritually seeking myself for many years, and there was a point in my life where a third of my salary just went into buying spiritual books and as soon as I returned from work, I would meditate for 4 – 4 1/2 hours per day.
    I am so thankful to many guides and books that helped to open my mind, yet it was only when I was conscious as my true self that it was possible to understand in a way so deep, so clear and so completely that no books could ever explain. The deepest part of me started to remember who I really am, why I am here, the real purpose of life of every being-and the reason True Source has created everything that ever existed.
    What I discuss and share in this book is not my theory, or an analysis of other people’s theories. It is a personal sharing of what I experienced in my highest, my deepest consciousness as my true self and also the experiences of thousands of our alumni who have since attained their true self consciousness.
    How is what you are sharing different to other approaches to spiritual growth?
    Putting aside all concepts and ideas, spiritual growth must be directly related to the spirit.
    And it is only by opening your heart that you can begin your path of spiritual growth, as our spirit (true self) resides within our heart. And contrary to conventional theories that rely on effort and will from the self to achieve something, true spiritual growth can only be accepted as a blessing from True Source, The Creator.
    You mentioned the heart and putting what you share into practice. Could you explain what you mean by this?
    Sure, there are three important keys to opening your heart: relax, touch your heart, and smile.
    You see, many of us as we grow older, we start to think more, accumulate more burdens, and without realizing we are closing our hearts more and more. That is why you might notice that children smile and laugh more freely than adults, as their brains are not yet blocking their hearts.
    You could try by firstly relaxing… close your eyes… touch the center of your upper chest lightly with your fingers, and smile sweetly and freely…
    Keep on smiling sweetly and freely to your heart and let the Blessings help you to go into the peace and calmness… Enjoy…
    Relaxing, touching your heart, and smiling sweetly and freely are the first step to really rely on the Love from True Source. The key to spiritual growth is to move away from relying on us or our efforts and to start relying on the Unlimited Love from True Source.
    You can read my other book, Smile to Your Heart Meditations, for further and detailed information on how to strengthen your heart and the wonderful feeling from your heart.
    What you are saying is that the key to spiritual growth is learning how to rely on The Love from True Source instead of relying on ‘us’ or our efforts to do it.
    That is correct. We are all limited beings with so many weaknesses. How can an imperfect being reach something perfect? As best a limited being can do, it will always limited. True Source Love is the perfect one; True Source Love is Unlimited; and this Divine Love has been given to every single one of us, so completely, so unconditionally. Only True Source and True Source Love can give true spiritual growth; and of course, help us fulfill our ultimate destiny that is to return to True Source completely.
    You have many students that you have taught all over the world. Are there any common obstacles that you find limit our spiritual growth development?
    Every obstacle is simply a beautiful reminder to rely more on True Source and True Source Love for us. Sometimes people are forget that the key really is to just relax, touch their hearts, and smile sweetly and freely to their hearts. They are so used to doing so much, putting in so much effort, and some people still believe that determination and intensity are required for spiritual growth when actually there is a simple and natural way to strengthen the heart, which is the key to spiritual growth.
    What have you found that helps people break through personal limitations in order to grow spiritually?
    The heart is a special Gift of Love from True Source to every single being, and it is the perfect tool to help each and every one of us to ‘break through’ our limitations.
    However, it is not the heart itself that does it; rather, the Love helps our heart to accept all beautiful things from True Source. True Source Love is the true and only solution for any obstacle we might encounter.
    What you are sharing is very different to the approach of mindfulness that emphasizes becoming the mindful observer or witness. You are saying that indentifying with the “observer” is a limitation to true spiritual growth.
    Yes, in many spiritual traditions, awareness and mindfulness are encouraged. When we stay as an observer, our brain is still in charge, we are still holding the rein. The moment we mind ourselves and focus on what we do, we actually limit the Love. We don’t want to be a mere witness to what is taking place; we want to let the Love work completely and continuously on our spirit/true self without any limitations at all.
    You mentioned that soul development is not the same as spiritual development. Can you share anything else about this and how it relates to The Real You: Beyond Forms and Lives?
    Yes, many people equate the soul with the spirit when actually they are two completely different consciousnesses. The spirit is our true self while the soul is the mediator between our spirit (true self) and our physical consciousness. It is good to develop our souls. However it is not our highest consciousness.
    Developing the soul will not fulfill us or our true purpose, because good things that happen to our soul do not automatically happen to our spirit as well. As an example, is we take a bath to cleanse our physical body, it does not make our soul cleaner. The true self is within our heart; our heart is the key; and only The Love from True Source can do good things to our heart and our true self. I speak of the differences between these two consciousnesses in The Real You: Beyond Forms and Lives. Detailed information about the soul is in the Soul Consciousness book which will be published in English soon.
    What do you see as other obstacles or challenges related to opening our spiritual heart or living our life with an open heart?
    One of the challenges is that many peoples think they already use their hearts. When invited to open their hearts, they think they know what the heart is; and they also believe that their hearts are already open. Knowing that you have to use your heart does not mean that you already use your heart. Wanting to use your heart also does not mean you already use your heart. You have to use your heart properly.
    The other challenge is that after they are willing to learn more about the heart and open their heart, people sometimes forget that the key really is to just relax, touch their hearts, and smile sweetly and freely to their hearts. They forget that doing less is the key; they still believe that determination and intensity are required for spiritual growth when actually they block the Love through their reliance on themselves.
    So what you are saying is that a big obstacle is thinking that ‘we already know’ or ‘we can only grow sipiritually by our effort and determination’.
    Yes. With regards to ‘effort’, Open Heart spiritually is very simple and effortless, yet it is very deep, precisely because we step back and take a break from our own effort and determination to start to rely on the Unlimited Love from True Source that is helping us beyond any of our limitations.
    What are the benefits of living our lives with an open heart?
    Our heart is the key to our connection to True Source and the spiritual hub that connects our spirit (true self), soul and brain. As you open your heart to True Source, you will able to accept all the most beautiful and wonderful blessings from True Source for every aspect of your life, including feeling calmer, less negative, happier, and improving your physical, mental and emotional health. Your relationships with others will also improve. Many of our alumni also share that they are more creative and productive at school and at work.
    You mentioned we are living in a special time. Why is it so special?
    This is the time to open our heart to True Source. This is the time to have direct Love connection with True Source. For so long, so many books and beings talked about the heart, but something was still missing back then. Now, there is a detailed explanation on how to open and use our heart and our Inner Heart, and it is not just theory. So many people have experienced opening their hearts to True Source, improving their connection with True Source in a real way. It’s available to us now.
    Do you have any final thoughts that might be spiritually beneficial for the readers of this magazine?
    So many people recognize that having connection with someone important, be it a political figure, a spiritual figure, a wealthy person, a celebrity, and so on is significant. Now is a beautiful opportunity to be directly connected to the Source of True Love and Light, the Source of our own and every other being’s true self, and our only destiny. What does that really mean to you and your heart?
    Meet The Author
    Since 1998, IRMANSYAH (“Irman”) EFFENDI has been teaching workshops to help others use their hearts and Inner Hearts as well as reach their soul consciousness and spirit/true self consciousness by relying on and surrendering to the Divine Source. His 14 books (four have been translated into English), along with workshops, healing clinics, non-profit and business training programs are devoted to help others use their hearts. Workshops are regularly conducted in Europe, Asia, Australia, New Zealand, USA, Canada, and South America.
    Further Reading
    THE REAL YOU: Beyond Forms and Lives by Irmansyah Effendi, published by Balboa Press, paperback (112 pages). Also available: Smile to Your Heart Meditations: Simple Practices for Peace, Health and Spiritual Growth (Amorata Press, 151 pages).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭shane9689

i feel dell88 gave the most satisfying (yet not fully complete) answer, i feel my question was lost on some of you, and this is what i mean by not being able to explain myself to people.

what im talking about is why i have my certain perception of everything subjective and objective, think of the game refrence i made, rather than some sort of nirvana (which is not what i mean to ask about). im a perfectly happy human being, some of you are going on about light and joy but i'm content. its the fact that i am "being" that im asking about and the fact that im "being" me.

thanks pudy, very thoughtful and i often thought about that myself, but i personally feel that ones soul is not ones personality. personality i believe can be altered, if you receive brain damage, i think your personality can be changed. that said, i don't claim to understand what the soul is, or if it even exists, but then, that is my question i guess.

its confusing to comprehend and definitely required alot of thought, but thanks for the replies guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

Hi,
    I have just stumbled across this thread by accident. You ask an interesting question ''why am I me? And you have got some interesting and varied answers.
    Why am I me? Who else could you be but you? You were conceived and you were born and you lived. Fundamentally you are comprised of atoms that were formed inside stars out there in the cosmos and before they made up you they made up someone or something else. When you die and decay these atoms will become part of something else a tree or a stream another person a new planet. So In that respect you are part of the universe, a part of nature, and it’s a type of re-incarnation I suppose, and if you reproduce you pass on part of your genetic make up to your kids.

You ask why you can only see things from your perspective. Because you are a human being that’s why. It's no mystery or great philosophic conundrum.
    Cogito ergo sum- I think therefore I am, René Descartes said this and it has become a fundamental block of western philosophy. The very fact that you can think about your existence, question it, proves you exist.

You have not been chosen, you serve no pre-ordained purpose, you have no destiny, and you are better off for it. Live you life as best you can, be good to others and be good to yourself and when you die you will return to the state you were in before you were born, complete and utter non existance.

thanks for the replies, i realise that farmchoice, that that is the athiest view of looking at things which i have considered greatly but i found it isnt an entirely satisfying answer, not because it doesnt feed into my desire to be part of something greater but because it simply doesnt answer my question which seems unanswerable to be honest

i played a gmae yesterday, an amazing game, called the stanley parable, i advise anyone here that is thinking about my question to play it as it really digs into this question a lot lot more.

or atleast watch it on youtube if you cant buy it (but i reccoment buying it, much different experience than just watching it)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1S796fXtl4

extremely interesting, it questions choices in games, but it has lots of different meanings to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

It's not about finding a satisfying answer. It's about finding the *right* answer, whether it satisfies you or not. Your question is a bit of a misnomer really, because it presumes there is an underlying reason why you are as you are - seemingly implicative of more than just the natural process of procreation ---> conception ---> birth ---> upbringing etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Corkgirl210

HI Shane,

my point of view.. is...

Because you picked you.. you picked your sex, your country, your parents, your path, your major choices etc before you were born, your soul theme for the purpose of your own evolution.. it is called pre-birth planning.. the paths you take to those major choices are your own free will.. so that's why you have your own choices at times.. like playing games.. we all have our own choice and style of how we play but result the same.. we play to win.. and winning in life is to complete your souls theme and learn those lessons...

so.. you have no one to blame but yourself!!! you are experiencing your souls choice on a physical level....

congratulations on being you..

you obviously are evolved enough to know that somehow you are experiencing you on a soul level.. hence the question.. ive questioned this on many occasions and now I flow with my souls purpose and have never been happier.. acceptance is the key.. ;o)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

HI Shane,

my point of view.. is...

Because you picked you.. you picked your sex, your country, your parents, your path, your major choices etc before you were born, your soul theme for the purpose of your own evolution.. it is called pre-birth planning.. the paths you take to those major choices are your own free will.. so that's why you have your own choices at times.. like playing games.. we all have our own choice and style of how we play but result the same.. we play to win.. and winning in life is to complete your souls theme and learn those lessons...

so.. you have no one to blame but yourself!!! you are experiencing your souls choice on a physical level....

congratulations on being you..

you obviously are evolved enough to know that somehow you are experiencing you on a soul level.. hence the question.. ive questioned this on many occasions and now I flow with my souls purpose and have never been happier.. acceptance is the key.. ;o)

so does this mean that somebody who is raped and abused and starved and beaten by his/her parents as a child picked that existance before they were born? they knew what was coming what kind of people they were getting involved with but went ahead with it anyway.

YES believe it or not.. some do..

they pick many things like alcoholism, being gay etc also.... each one teaching them a lesson in say forgiveness, empathy, judgement etc..

we have to experience both sides of the coin to get the full experience and that includes the negative as well as the positive!!

we need to also balance karma...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

YES believe it or not.. some do..

they pick many things like alcoholism, being gay etc also.... each one teaching them a lesson in say forgiveness, empathy, judgement etc..

we have to experience both sides of the coin to get the full experience and that includes the negative as well as the positive!!

we need to also balance karma...

As if being gay is a bad thing... What a horrible thing to say, and what a horrible philosophy. It must be easy to believe it when ones lives a (comparatively) charmed western life.

But to say that to someone who has in any way experienced horrific atrocities in life... Been raped, abused, their family murdered... Is disgustingly insulting.

Thankfully, it's not true.

Sorry if I offended you .. but I didn't mean gay as being negative.. I meant rape!.. alcoholism gay etc as being reasons to learn forgiveness empathy etc. because of JUDGEMENT of others..

if you read my post with some understanding..you will see that I believe all experiences are necessary (whether others deem them neg or pos.. I don't.. I see them as all valid lessons)... it is my opinion and yours is yours...
    mine is my truth.. yours is your truth.

isn't it great to be an individual??? .. I wish you well.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 johngills

how are you getting on with uncovering answers to these questions.
    listening to other people answers on this website will not be too beneficial.
    you just end up with another idea in your mind to add to the other junk already there

johngills wrote: »
    how are you getting on with uncovering answers to these questions.
    listening to other people answers on this website will not be too beneficial.
    you just end up with another idea in your mind to add to the other junk already there

well
    I like to think, unlike alot of people

isn't that what being spiritual is all about? learning to think for yourself (without any organized religion, dogma, creed etc), learning to uncover who you are? to deepen your spirit by realising who you really are?

I love thinking.. it keeps me alive! :o)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Joe1919

shane9689 wrote: »
    ......why can i only see things from one perspective (my own) and not multiple perspectives? what are my limits?

I think that we can see things from many different perspectives. In this respect, we can transcend or go beyond ourselves. We can, for example, attempt to view ourselves as others view us.
    Because there are an infinite number of perspectives that we can view both ourselves and the world by, it can be said that in certain respects, we are infinite (some say that we share this with the gods?) and perhaps, we are only limited by our own imagination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

The last wishes of Alexander the Great

On his death bed, Alexander summoned his generals and told them his three ultimate wishes:

1. The best doctors should carry his coffin.
    2. The wealth he has accumulated (money, gold, precious stones) should be scattered along the procession to the cemetery, and

3. His hands should be let loose, hanging outside the coffin for all to see.

One of his generals who was surprised by these unusual requests asked
    Alexander to explain.

Here is what Alexander the Great had to say:
    1. I want the best doctors to carry my coffin to demonstrate that, in the face of death, even the best doctors in the world have no power to heal.
    2. I want the road to be covered with my treasure so that everybody sees that material wealth acquired on earth, stays on earth.
    3. I want my hands to swing in the wind, so that people understand that we come to this world empty handed and we leave this world empty handed after the most precious treasure of all is exhausted, and that is TIME.

TIME is our most precious treasure because it is LIMITED. We can produce more wealth, but we cannot produce more time.
    When we give someone our time, we actually give a portion of our life that we will never take back.
    Our time is our life.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 OzzieD

Who Am I?

You are the universe experiencing ,,its self,, through consciousness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,325 ✭✭✭✭endacl

OzzieD wrote: »
    Who Am I?

You are the universe experiencing ,,its self,, through consciousness

?

So, who is the universe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

shane9689 wrote: »
    why am i me? why have i been chosen to be this person and not someone else?
    why can i only see things from one perspective (my own) and not multiple perspectives? what are my limits?

i feel like a character in a computer game, where you see everything from only the characters perspective..only that character exists as part of you and everything else is unknown...controlled externally

i've had strange religious questions running around my mind since the age of 3, but they've always been impossible to vocalise, even today. im not sure what im writing is making sense but hopefully someone here can talk to me

that said, i strongly disagree with organised religion, so please no cult/ church stuff, purely spiritual and from ones self, unless you have a very very strong point to make that is not already obvious.... thanks

want a good answer to your question???
    read the book ask and it is be given from ester and jerry hicks
    and all of your questions and more will be answered

Advertisement