Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HMV Vouchers Are GOOD again

Options
  • 25-08-2013 8:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭

New operators of HMV have announced that they will be honoring all previous vouchers as a goodwill gesture.

Hillco has said it will honour valid gift cards and vouchers in the four stores opening in Dublin and Limerick.

"The whole gift card issue rests with the previous company," said Hilco chief Paul McGowan, in an interview with the Sunday Independent.

"This is us saying to the consumer. . . this is clearly a bone of contention. It's a consumer relationship issue and we want to try to be fair. But being fair with the knowledge that we didn't get the consumer or the business into this position. We're just trying to get them back out."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭keithoh

There appear to be a few hoops you need to jump through to get a new gift card.

1. You need to register your gift card online at hmv.ie
    2. They send you an email which you confirm your submission which must
    be done before 10th October 2013.
    3. You're then informed to post your gift card by registered post back
    to HMV by 11th October 2013
    4. Before 18th October you will be contacted via email confirming the
    value of the card and on confirmation sent a gift card in exchange
    which can be used in any HMV store in the Republic of Ireland before
    close of business 14th November 2013

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Seems fair enough to have a strict procedure to folow considering they don't have to honour them at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Time to quote my post (from my old account) about what Dermot Jewell had to say when HMV closed down in January ...
    Skid wrote: »
    Dermot Jewell from The Consumers Association of Ireland was on The RTE News talking about the HMV Vouchers.

He said unless you paid for them by Credit Card they are "worthless" and "you might as well throw them away".

He really should choose his language more carefully. There is still a chance that the Vouchers might be honoured (partially or in full) in a restructured HMV (as in other cases). It might be a small chance but he will look very foolish if customers throw vouchers away which are still of some worth to them.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=82704999

Good man Dermot, the next time this happens you might try to give out more constructive advice to consumers.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Think the reason behind the rigmarole to get new vouchers is that so many businesses offered a discount if you surrendered your HMV vouchers to them that it could be considered that any of them could have a huge amount of credit they could spend that they didn't pay the full amount for.

I know for instance Gamestop offered a discount to people with HMV gift cards in February, it would be very poor business practice to let a competitor come in with thousands of euros worth of cheaply acquired credit enabling them to buy up your stock, the idea is to allow the company to verify the cards and reissue them to legitimate claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Skid X wrote: »
    Time to quote my post (from my old account) about what Dermot Jewell had to say when HMV closed down in January ...

Good man Dermot, the next time this happens you might try to give out more constructive advice to consumers.

In fairness to him, he's correct.

I do not think they would be honoring the vouchers if everyone had kept them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Hindsight is 20:20,

Dermot's information was accurate, if he had came onto the radio and said the vouchers might be worth money almost a year down the line then you'd likely be accusing him of giving people false hope.

At the end of the day, when the vast majority of places close the vouchers are worthless and its 100% accurate to say so. Saying otherwise in the vast majority of cases would be a lie to people.

In fairness to him, he's correct.

I do not think they would be honoring the vouchers if everyone had kept them.

That is a curious interpretation of how the Consumer Association of Ireland operate.

You believe they deliberately encourage people to destroy their HMV vouchers, so that those who don't take their advice might have a better chance of using their gift cards?

Cabaal wrote: »
    Hindsight is 20:20,

Dermot's information was accurate, if he had came onto the radio and said the vouchers might be worth money almost a year down the line then you'd likely be accusing him of giving people false hope.

At the end of the day, when the vast majority of places close there vouchers are worthless and its 100% accurate to say so. Saying otherwise in the vast majority of cases would be a lie to people.

It's nothing to do with hindsight - I made my original post in January, shortly after HMV closed their doors.

Dermot Jewell should have said something like "unfortunately, it is unlikely that those who paid for their vouchers with cash will receive any compensation" Instead he used over the top language, telling HMV customers to throw their vouchers away. For a consumer advocate, he should use more temperate language rather than trying to give soundbites to the media..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

That is a curious interpretation of how the Consumer Association of Ireland operate.

You believe they deliberately encourage people to destroy their HMV vouchers, so that those who don't take their advice might have a better chance of using their gift cards?

From my understanding he was portraying the value of vouchers.

It might discourage people from purchasing vouchers in future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

When HMV closed, Hillco, the new operators said they had no interest in taking the irish operation due to high rents.

No other expressions of interest came forward, so basically HMV was gone.

Hillco then bought Xtravision and saw that bolting on some old HMV stores would create a good format and they went negotiating.

Purely as a goodwill gesture as they have zero connection with the old company, they will honour outstanding gift cards, but as they are not linked into the old HMV system, they will need to find out what value is on each card and transfer it to a card / voucher that will work in their stores.

You can't blame Dermot Jewell for his comments as I doubt if any other buyer would have honoured the cards

• Advertisement

sandin wrote: »
    When HMV closed, Hillco, the new operators said they had no interest in taking the irish operation due to high rents.

No other expressions of interest came forward, so basically HMV was gone.

Hillco then bought Xtravision and saw that bolting on some old HMV stores would create a good format and they went negotiating.

Purely as a goodwill gesture as they have zero connection with the old company, they will honour outstanding gift cards, but as they are not linked into the old HMV system, they will need to find out what value is on each card and transfer it to a card / voucher that will work in their stores.

You can't blame Dermot Jewell for his comments as I doubt if any other buyer would have honoured the cards

He made his comments on January 15th - while HMV were still operating in Ireland (but had stopped taking gift vouchers). Well before it was certain that HMV would definitely close. There have been instances where new operators have honoured gift vouchers issued by previous owners (as has happened with HMV this week).

As I said, it was complete unnecessary and premature for him to tell customers they might as well tear up their vouchers. Someone who is an advocate for consumers should choose their words more carefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

Has anyone gone through the process of exchanging their old gift card yet? If so how did you get on?

I have a card i want to get exchanged but i don't know which HMV store it was bought in...

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭blackbird 49

To pandaThe first thing you need to do is ask the person who gave you the voucher after that go to the hmv website and register your voucher this must be sent by register post before 11th Oct. i have sent mine it cost me 5.25 now it just a waiting game good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

I sent off mine over a week ago with registered post and no reply yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Julez

sent by register post before 11th Oct. i have sent mine it cost me 5.25

Yeah thought that was a bit steep! Anyone any word yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,410 ✭✭✭✭noodler

No word.

I said feck it and didn't send it by registered post so am wondering if they'll just bin it and play dumb!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭splashthecash

noodler wrote: »
    No word.

I said feck it and didn't send it by registered post so am wondering if they'll just bin it and play dumb!

Just posted mine this lunchtime - €5.25 also.

That €5.25 gone from the value of my voucher already although anytime I say this I get the usual "well isn't it luckly they are taking them at all"...i guess it is but its still a bit of a pain in the hoop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Sent mine off a few weeks ago too, no reply as of yet. Used registered post which cost €5 odd, but sure what can you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭blackbird 49

I read that you will be sent a email by the 18th Oct if that is true it's not giving you much time to spend it when it has to be redeemed by the 15th Nov. I also think that even though the store has reopened most people will not buy any vouchers for Christmas I certainly won't. Don't want to get stung again the voucher I have are worth €320

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

I read that you will be sent a email by the 18th Oct if that is true it's not giving you much time to spend it when it has to be redeemed by the 15th Nov. I also think that even though the store has reopened most people will not buy any vouchers for Christmas I certainly won't. Don't want to get stung again the voucher I have are worth €320

you picked them up off the floor didnt you ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I read that you will be sent a email by the 18th Oct if that is true it's not giving you much time to spend it

It's a whole month to spend a voucher that they didn't have to give you, seems plenty of time for me. I'll be up to spend it the day it arrives :)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭zero_

What a cynical shower. I'm glad downloading has crippled HMV with behaviour like this. They'll be back to selling crap DVDs for €3 and kit kats beside the counter. I have and will continue to take my custom for music online and to independent music sellers in the city centre.

Why can't they just allow people to exchange their vouchers in the outlet where they bought them?

What sort of good-will does this create toward HMV? The fact that they closed prior to Xmas last year and left lots of people out of pocket.

Charging people €5.25 for registered post. What is the point of this? To deter people from claiming what is theirs as it is not cost effective to pay €5.25 for registered post if you have a gift card of small value.

Once I spend my gift card I'll never shop there again and would encourage others to do the same.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

zero_ wrote: »
    What a cynical shower. I'm glad downloading has crippled HMV with behaviour like this. They'll be back to selling crap DVDs for €3 and kit kats beside the counter. I have and will continue to take my custom for music online and to independent music sellers in the city centre.

Why can't they just allow people to exchange their vouchers in the outlet where they bought them?

What sort of good-will does this create toward HMV? The fact that they closed prior to Xmas last year and left lots of people out of pocket.

Charging people €5.25 for registered post. What is the point of this? To deter people from claiming what is theirs as it is not cost effective to pay €5.25 for registered post if you have a gift card of small value.

Once I spend my gift card I'll never shop there again and would encourage others to do the same.

You do know it's a completely different company now right?

They're still trading under the HMV name. So it'd make more sense for them to create a bit of good-will towards the brand they are still using by making the process easier.
    Giving people what is rightfully theirs in a less convoluted fashion wouldn't leave such a sour taste in people's mouths.

They're still trading under the HMV name. So it'd make more sense for them to create a bit of good-will towards the brand they are still using by making the process easier.
    Giving people what is rightfully theirs in a less convoluted fashion wouldn't leave such a sour taste in people's mouths.

The new owners were under absolutely no obligation to take in old vouchers, the fact they did is a huge show of goodwill in my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

The new owners were under absolutely no obligation to take in old vouchers, the fact they did is a huge show of goodwill in my eyes.

Though since they are making me pay €5.25 for a small value card that Goodwill is gone again .

Should have insisted the person who gave it redeem it through the credit card company

SPDUB wrote: »
    Though since they are making me pay €5.25 for a small value card that Goodwill is gone again .

Should have insisted the person who gave it redeem it through the credit card company

And if it was paid with cash?

This is the best way of resolving the gift card issue, just wait for all the complaints from people after next week who didn't send it off and get it replaced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Lets say you buy a house and the previous guy who owned the house owed me €500.

About 6 months after the previous guy moved on, I call to you and ask you to pay me the money I am owed.

Would you give it to me?

After all, using your logic, its still the same house!

Btw - the new operators (they are not new owners) bought the brand name HMV only. They did not buy the stock, nor the shops (they negotiated with some landlords on previous HMV shops) and nor the computer systems and have no access to records. Hence they went well beyond their zero obligations to give a window of redemption. As they do not have the back-up records, nor the rights to them, they needed to do it a different way (my guess is in collaboration with the issuer of the cards) to give value for the old cards.

Then again there are some people in life who are never happy.

They bought the brand name HMV, so the ordinary person will assume it's still the same company. Why are they keeping the name HMV? Because it is a well established, recognised brand that they can make money from. Yes I know you are using the 'by-the-book' gleaned from the 'Financial Times' and Leaving Cert Business text book argument that they don't have to refund the money. Fine, I get it. But it doesn't make sense for them to create any badness towards them trading as HMV. They should give the money back in a non-convoluted fashion. It's in their business interest for people who have vouchers not to have a sour taste in their mouths towards the HMV brand. If not, why don't they just trade under a different name?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Myrddin wrote: »
    Sent mine off a few weeks ago too, no reply as of yet. Used registered post which cost €5 odd, but sure what can you do.

Im not to far from the retail park so they said I can hand it in...Doing it tomorrow. last day!!!!!

Advertisement