Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HMV Vouchers Are GOOD again

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

mad m wrote: »
    Im not to far from the retail park so they said I can hand it in...Doing it tomorrow. last day!!!!!

Tomorrow is the last day to hand them in is it? Grand, hopefully we'll be hearing back soon

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Today was the last day to have them in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Today was the last day to have them in

Friday ,11th October - that's tomorrow.

Fair play to them honouring those vouchers, no matter what the process may have been, as they didn't have to. They earned brownie points in my book by this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Friday ,11th October - that's tomorrow.

Fair play to them honouring those vouchers, no matter what the process may have been, as they didn't have to. They earned brownie points in my book by this.

I'm pretty sure the leaflet said October 10th

I'm pretty sure the leaflet said October 10th

It's sitting in print in front of me. Friday 11th October.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

zero_ wrote: »
    They bought the brand name HMV, so the ordinary person will assume it's still the same company. Why are they keeping the name HMV? Because it is a well established, recognised brand that they can make money from. Yes I know you are using the 'by-the-book' gleaned from the 'Financial Times' and Leaving Cert Business text book argument that they don't have to refund the money. Fine, I get it. But it doesn't make sense for them to create any badness towards them trading as HMV. They should give the money back in a non-convoluted fashion. It's in their business interest for people who have vouchers not to have a sour taste in their mouths towards the HMV brand. If not, why don't they just trade under a different name?

If the traded under a different name they would not have had to pay for the HMV brand which is recognisable.
    As it is recognisable, they saw a value in purchasing the name from the receivers and then to be sure of positive feedback they opted to honour vouchers.

The ONLY way to do this is the system they have chosen as the CANNOT access any records about the vouchers on their systems as these are connected to the old company and the old system. You would need to understand how electronic gift voucher work, to understand that there is really no other way of doing this.

So here's how it works - 16 digit code - certain digits allocated to specific companies, other digits allocated to the specific card. Company digits recognised by a payment processor and systems check files and then take funds off specific card balance.

Legally only the company that signed up can have access to the information - it cannot be transferred under the data protection act. By sending the voucher in for changing over to current voucher YOU are giving new company your details and effective permission to get amount off card and then re-issue the voucher.

Maybe now you can see why it has to be done this way - or maybe you think data protection should not exist for retail companies??

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭zero_

That wasn't the point of what I said. Anyway, that's what I think. I'm not going to waste my time arguing with people :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

So, in theory, people should start getting emails this week from the new owners detailing how much their vouchers are worth, and what the next step in the process is, right?

If someone does get a mail, let us know on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

zero_ wrote: »
    That wasn't the point of what I said. Anyway, that's what I think. I'm not going to waste my time argueing with people

I wouldnt either if my arguement was as paper thin.

Setting aside the issues pointed out above about how the vouchers work, how do you propose they let people exchange the vouchers in the outlet the bought them in seeing as only 4 are reopened?

As for the postage, hmv dont set the postage rates or make any money from them .One poster above took a chance and went with regular post. But if it doesnt get there safely then its gone.

They didnt close prior to christmas either btw. It was after christmas.So thats not really a fact now is it?

Some people are just never happy.

So, we should be hearing back about these today or tomorrow at the latest really:
    Before 18th October you will be contacted via email confirming the value of the card and on confirmation sent a gift card in exchange which can be used in any HMV store in the Republic of Ireland before close of business 14th November 2013.

• Advertisement

I've still heard nothing... Anyone in here got a mail yet?

I've still heard nothing... Anyone in here got a mail yet?

Still nothing...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Nothing for me either...

• Registered Users Posts: 8 des.deeney

Nothing here either, i just posted (Not Registered), as the value was pretty small, will be interesting to see if they misplace.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭tampler

Got an email back. Not the news I was expecting however...
    ****, regarding your HMV Gift card submission

Thank you for submitting your gift card details.

Your card(s) submission was:

We have processed and successfully exchanged thousands of old hmv gift cards. Unfortunately we did not receive your card(s) in the post as instructed. This means that it was not possible to convert them for use in the new HMV stores.

Your HMV Team

Obviously, I did send it in, registered and all. :/
    email included a mailing address, is it worth sending in the mailing receipt I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭jvrk

Just got my voucher it has to be used in one transaction and have to print out the voucher to bring it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭phonypony

We have processed and successfully exchanged thousands of old hmv gift cards. Unfortunately this code could not be matched with any records from the old HMV Gift Card System. This means that it was not possible to convert them for use in the new HMV stores.

Is the reply I got.
    I smell complete BS. They have the physical card and receipts for them in their hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BeanFlicker

This is what I got, what a load of bull****
    XXX, regarding your HMV Gift card submission

Thank you for submitting your gift card details.

Your card(s) submission was:
    XXXXX

We have processed and successfully exchanged thousands of old hmv gift cards. Unfortunately this code could not be matched with any records from the old HMV Gift Card System. This means that it was not possible to convert them for use in the new HMV stores.

Your HMV Team

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Just got it!

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭blackbird 49

Good news got mine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

This is what I got, what a load of bull****

Same here.....sickner.....only glad I handed it in person than lose another few quid registering it.

Got mine. Well done HMV. Sorted now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

Whoot, got mine, hopefully everyone else gets sorted soon.

Unfortunately I'm going to have to spend mine in a Xtra-vision "Concession store" because they haven't opened a store in Galway again...

Here's the link if you want it.

Click on the "Store finder" button.

Got the email, happy days everything is fine. Just to print the voucher now & use it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,410 ✭✭✭✭noodler

tampler wrote: »
    Got an email back. Not the news I was expecting however...

Obviously, I did send it in, registered and all. :/
    email included a mailing address, is it worth sending in the mailing receipt I wonder?
    phonypony wrote: »
    Is the reply I got.
    I smell complete BS. They have the physical card and receipts for them in their hands.

Got the same BS email saying they never recieved my card.

I didn't send it via registered so thought that was it so surprised to hear so many of you got the same email despite sending via registered.

Pretty pissed with them to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Newhand

Another person to be added to the list of people not getting anything from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Wheelsonthebus

I haven't received any email from them despite sending my gift card by registered post, I presume I'm not getting anything?

Just redeemed mine after what seemed like some kind of till glitch. I was expecting the cashier to tell me the code had already been redeemed or something, thankfully not though

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Wheelsonthebus

Correction to my previous post- I actually did receive mine.

Email was in my junk folder.

Feel sorry for people who didn't get theirs though, not being able to find it on the old system seems a fairly weak excuse.

They could have told you that before you went to the effort of sending it by registered post.

• Advertisement

I got my email on Friday evening. Had €125 across 3 vouchers (2 x €50 and 1 x €25) and they redeemed them all. Spent the full amount on Saturday in store in Crescent (nice to see familiar faces behind the tills). I wasn't taking any chances, and they're only good for another 3-ish weeks anyway.

Am sickened to hear about people not getting theirs redeemed. Am curious as to what could cause this? Was it possible to top-up HMV cards like others? Perhaps that is one cause? Whatever the case, HMV need to be more transparent I think.

Advertisement