Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards crashing Chrome??

Options
  • 25-08-2013 8:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭

For the last few days boards has been semi crashing Chrome for me.

Seems to be the Forum index page. Page seems to load, boards favicon appears on tab, then backwards spinning icon appears in tab and then chrome 'wait or kill page' window pops up. 'Wait' sees the page finish loading after about 20 seconds. I can navigate deep into fora without issue but as soon as I am back to forum index page the above always happens again without fail.

Browsing boards is now a frustrating experience in chrome for me.

At first I thought it was Adblock, so I disabled it. Then I thought maybe it was too many extensions, so I disabled all of them. Nothing worked. Boards loads fine in IE10. No other websites affected.

Any ideas??

[Edit] Doesn't happen on Chrome on the iPad.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Boards.ie: Rónán

Calibos wrote: »
    For the last few days boards has been semi crashing Chrome for me.

Seems to be the Forum index page. Page seems to load, boards favicon appears on tab, then backwards spinning icon appears in tab and then chrome 'wait or kill page' window pops up. 'Wait' sees the page finish loading after about 20 seconds. I can navigate deep into fora without issue but as soon as I am back to forum index page the above always happens again without fail.

Browsing boards is now a frustrating experience in chrome for me.

At first I thought it was Adblock, so I disabled it. Then I thought maybe it was too many extensions, so I disabled all of them. Nothing worked. Boards loads fine in IE10. No other websites affected.

Any ideas??

[Edit] Doesn't happen on Chrome on the iPad.

Odd one...

Can you fire on the details contained in www.boards.ie/diagnostics (omitting your IP address) please?

Also, if you hit F12 in Chrome and click on the "console" tab, are you getting any errors / warnings ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

boards diagnostics
    Operating System: Windows 7

User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/29.0.1547.57 Safari/537.36

Your Browser

Javascript Enabled: Yes

Cookies Enabled: Yes

Java Enabled: Yes

Flash Version: 11.8 r800 installed

Your Resolution

Screen: 1920 x 1080

Current Browser: 1920 x 633

Colour: 32 bit

Our Server

Date/Time: Monday 26th of August 2013, 20:02:15

Name: [url]www.boards.ie[/url] (clifford)

LocalStorage

LS/SS Enabled: Yes

Followed Forums:

[]
    User Details

Username: Calibos

User ID: 6793

Moderator: No

Google Console
    Failed to load resource [url]http://partner.googleadservices.com/gpt/pubads_impl_25.js[/url]
    appending after container
    Port: Could not establish connection. Receiving end does not exist. lastError:29

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭KeithM89

Its happening to me too now,just hte home page too.

Chrome 29.0.1547.62, OSX 10.8.4.

Keith wrote: »
    Its happening to me too now,just hte home page too.

Chrome 29.0.1547.62, OSX 10.8.4.

Getting any warnings / errors in the Chrome console? (Hit F12, then the last tab "Console" before refreshing the page)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭KeithM89

Getting any warnings / errors in the Chrome console? (Hit F12, then the last tab "Console" before refreshing the page)

Nope, nothing.
    I restarted Chrome and it hasnt happened since.

• Advertisement

Why me oh lord, why me!!

Here's a good one...

On my iPad 2 neither chrome nor safari can open the apple devices forum on boards. They crash and close. No other boards forum affected never mind other sites.

Why me oh lord, why me!!

Here's a good one...

On my iPad 2 neither chrome nor safari can open the apple devices forum on boards. They crash and close. No other boards forum affected never mind other sites.

I think it's because of that thread with Arabic text in the title.

Ah, I see.

Linky

Makes me feel better that I am one of millions rather than being singled out by a deity. Kinda like the morning I was late for work because my iPhone alarm didn't wake me up. Sceptical look on my bosses face until I shouwed him the news article which proved I was but one of millions across the world that were late for work that morning. :D

Still having the exact same problem, though mitigated by the fact that in the interim since I first posted about it, I have a new PC with Quad Core i5 which can brute force through the glitch without crashing chrome. However, CPU load jumps, temps increase, fan spins up faster and forum index page is unscrollable for about 8 seconds. Still very annoying.

This only happens on the forum index page. What is different about this page and subforum, thread list pages etc. Surely knowing what process runs on that page but not on the others helps to isolate the problem.

Still having the exact same problem, though mitigated by the fact that in the interim since I first posted about it, I have a new PC with Quad Core i5 which can brute force through the glitch without crashing chrome. However, CPU load jumps, temps increase, fan spins up faster and forum index page is unscrollable for about 8 seconds. Still very annoying.

This only happens on the forum index page. What is different about this page and subforum, thread list pages etc. Surely knowing what process runs on that page but not on the others helps to isolate the problem.

You're the only person encountering this issue, I haven't been able to recreate using chrome (or any browser) on Win 7 / Win 8 / OSX / Mint. Unfortunately it isn't just a simple case of identifying a process unique to the forum index page.

Can you give me the exact URL(s) for the page(s) you're encountering these issues please.

• Advertisement

I'm an idiot....

I just thought of doing what I should have known to do right at the beginning.

I disabled all Chrome extensions and re-enabled them one at a time as I went backwards and forwards away from and back to the Forum Index page. 'Mail Checker Plus for Google', a third party extension for chrome was the culprit. Disabled that and re-enabled all the rest of my downloaded extensions and all is now OK.

Turns out the question I should have been asking myself was not the one in my last post but, 'What is different about Chrome on the iPad and Chrome on a PC?' Answer = Extensions and Plugins!!

Sorry to waste your time Ronan and thank you for your attention.

I'm an idiot....

I just thought of doing what I should have known to do right at the beginning.

I disabled all Chrome extensions and re-enabled them one at a time as I went backwards and forwards away from and back to the Forum Index page. 'Mail Checker Plus for Google', a third party extension for chrome was the culprit. Disabled that and re-enabled all the rest of my downloaded extensions and all is now OK.

Turns out the question I should have been asking myself was not the one in my last post but, 'What is different about Chrome on the iPad and Chrome on a PC?' Answer = Extensions and Plugins!!

Sorry to waste your time Ronan and thank you for your attention.

Excellent, no problem at all Calibos. Might pick that extension up myself and play around with it, see if I can recreate any of the issues you described. Glad you got it sorted out in the end.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement