Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boundary Hedge Front Garden Advice

Options
  • 25-08-2013 9:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Hi All,

Just looking for some advice. I've lived in my house for the past 12 years as an owner occupier. The front garden has mature well maintained 3/4 foot hedging around it which acts as a boundary to the garden. The house to one side of us was rented for the past 10 years up until last April when the owner moved back in now permanently.

He would like to build walls around the front garden and remove the hedging but I don't want walls as I prefer the hedging as a boundary. Where do I stand on this issue? Does he need my permission to remove the hedging? His partner mentioned this in passing this week as an aside to another conversation she had with me in the garden. From what she was saying I don't think this wall is imminently going to be built but it got me thinking.

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

How much does the hedge encroach into the neighbours garden?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Razorfish

Its a shared hedge directly down the boundary. It encroaches equally into my garden as it does theirs. I would say 30cm at most. It is a Berberis Darwini. It was planted by the builder when the houses were built in 1999/2000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

They can't unilaterally remove it. If they want to build a wall suggest they do it on their side of the hedge. That might change their minds ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Razorfish wrote: »
    Its a shared hedge directly down the boundary. It encroaches equally into my garden as it does theirs. I would say 30cm at most. It is a Berberis Darwini. It was planted by the builder when the houses were built in 1999/2000.
    Would it be possible to move the hedge slightly to your side?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Razorfish

I'd say that would kill the hedge as the roots underground would be extensive after 12 years. I presumed we'd both have to agree for any wall to be built to replace the hedge and as I prefer the hedging, no wall can be built except beside the hedge on their side if they wish.

• Advertisement
Advertisement