Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSI Motherboard problem

Options
  • 25-08-2013 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,463 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys

my pc started giving me problems last night when I booted into it, it was not connecting to the net and not recognising the soundcard
    also the toolbar looked like the classic windows toolbar so i booted into safemode and it was connecting fine in there so I ran MWB and Super antispayware which removed some viruses but when I go to reboot into windows proper it hangs on the Windows start up screen every time.

Last known good doesn't work or repair so I was trying to use a windows dvd to see if it could do a repair from the disc but here is the problem, I can't see the boot order selection when I press f2 as I can only see a quarter of that screen as it looks like the resolution is too low on it.
    it has been like that for a while but it didn't bother me until now
    any suggestions?

my rig
    Windows 7 Pro
    Intel Core i5-2500K
    MSI P67A-GD55 (B3), Intel P67, ATX, DDR3
    Sapphire HD 6970 2GB GDDR5 PCI-Express
    6GB-Kit Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1600 CL7
    Corsair Force SSD 120GB
    Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB
    Corsair HX850 PSU

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Have you tried a system restore?

I assume its windows 7/8 you're working with?

edit: obviously this is only if can boot in safe mode.

I need to wake up before posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

You might try a different graphics card if you have one, or clearing the BIOS. Also check if there is another F key that might let you choose a one-time boot device selection. My Dell laptop, for instance, does this with F12, and I had an HP that did it with F9 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,463 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

RossieMan wrote: »
    Have you tried a system restore?

I assume its windows 7/8 you're working with?

yeah tried that but no good

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    You might try a different graphics card if you have one, or clearing the BIOS. Also check if there is another F key that might let you choose a one-time boot device selection. My Dell laptop, for instance, does this with F12, and I had an HP that did it with F9 I think.

yeah I might try an older gfx card I have, I tried all the f keys but because it's a UEFI board it doesn't give you that classic bios settings list

Have you gone into the BIOS and tried changing your main boot to the DVD drive?

• Advertisement

that's the problem I'm having that I can't see the options it's giving in order to get into the BIOS

Skerries wrote: »
    that's the problem I'm having that I can't see the options it's giving in order to get into the BIOS

ohh i see. sorry as i said not fully awake.

Are you using on-board graphics?
    Seems strange that it'd be dark on start-up.

it's the DEL key to get into BIOS on MSI boards if i remember correctly.

no, I'm using a dedicated card
    it's not that it is dark, it's that I can only see part of the MSI UEFI screen so I can't tell what I have to press in order to get into the boot sequence
    I can only see the top left quarter of the bios which fills the whole screen

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Maybe ask in the MSI forums https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php or flash the BIOS

have you tried doing it with the on-board graphics?

i don't see a reason why the screen would only show a small bit, doesn't make any sense.

i wouldn't flash the BIOS unless you know what you're doing. otherwise you'll end up with a rather large paperweight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

boot to your windows disk

choose repair console

type sfc / scannow

this will scan and replace any missing or corrupt system files damaged by the virus you said you had

superantispyware is a hoor for deleting system files.. terrible av software imo

boot to your windows disk

choose repair console

type sfc / scannow

this will scan and replace any missing or corrupt system files damaged by the virus you said you had

you obviously haven't read the thread. ;)

He knows how to do this, he just can't get into the boot menu to do it.

thanks for all the help guys, I got it sorted I think
    for some reason the xbox controller when plugged in was causing it

Advertisement