Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Odd keyboard issue

Options
  • 25-08-2013 11:07am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 246 ✭✭

Bought a new super slim advent keyboard yesterday, works fine (I'm typing with it now) .....the only problem is my windows log in password won't recognize with it, have to use my old keyboard to log in.....it's strange I type in my password and get the ****** no problem even recognizes caps lock on but keeps coming back with a wrong password message.....I've opened word and typed in my password with it, can't see any problem there...bizarre

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Weird alright.

Change your password. When promped for the old password enter it with the old keyboard, then type and confirm the new password with the new keyboard.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 246 ✭✭mrbrown69

Ha...just tried that, went to control panel changed old password/new password....logged out, same deal logging back in...wrong password with the new keyboard but works with old one....puzzling

• Registered Users Posts: 12,463 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

maybe use the onscreen keyboard for logging in until you figure it out

Yeah that worked, good solution.....would still like to the bottom of what's in every other way a very good new keyboard

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

The question is, would you consider a deal-breaker, preventing you from using the keyboard now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭invaderzimirl

its always worth while trying typing your password into the username field to make sure the correct output from the keys

its always worth while trying typing your password into the username field to make sure the correct output from the keys

********** this is my password, the output from the keyboard is correct everywhere else....anyway the onboard will do for now

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭invaderzimirl

yes but if you enter the password in as your username field you will not get ******** but password, there could be a regional keyboard thing going on that the default pre login is one and when it logs in is another for that account, most common is UK/Ireland and US.
    where the " and @ are transposed along with a few other keys, like ~ and ¦ if the computer is locked will the new Keyboard unlock it ?

yes but if you enter the password in as your username field you will not get ******** but password, there could be a regional keyboard thing going on that the default pre login is one and when it logs in is another for that account, most common is UK/Ireland and US.
    where the " and @ are transposed along with a few other keys, like ~ and ¦ if the computer is locked will the new Keyboard unlock it ?

Not sure I understand..there are no prefix's or numbers in the password, if I type the password into google for example with this new keyboard it's there....I changed the old/new password in control panel both ways....but can still only login with the old

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

The point of keying the password into the name field is to ascertain whether the keyboard settings before logging in are different from after the login. From your posts after logging in the keyboard settings are fine. Keying the password into the name field will determine whether the keyboard settings before logging in are different.

• Advertisement

FSL wrote: »
    The point of keying the password into the name field is to ascertain whether the keyboard settings before logging in are different from after the login. From your posts after logging in the keyboard settings are fine. Keying the password into the name field will determine whether the keyboard settings before logging in are different.

Ah right I get that now....but there is no username field to type in on login, the username is set

also changed the settings in the topleft corner to EN US...same result

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I think the on screen keyboard shows visual feedback when you type on a keyboard, so try typing your password with the new keyboard keeping an eye on the OSK to see if there is an issue with the keyboards output

Nick

Advertisement